SlotForum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if, once everybody has it's digital track on the market, Carrera, SCX and Hornby (4 sure even if nobody talks about it) new cars will be availlable in both forms.
Do any of you has a hint on that ?
Since I don't plan on going digital, I would be very disapointed if a car I liked comes out only in digital.

·
DT
5,195 Posts
I'm sure this will happen.

I would say that there would have to be a rationalisation of the market if there were many versions of effectively the same thing. People don't like to choose between formats.

I think that after a year or so, one or two versions will stick out, the others will fade away after a while.

·
Registered
714 Posts
There's a wet blanket here says they will ALL fade away after a while!

I would almost guarantee that NO manufacturer will be rash enough to issue any car in digital that is not also made available in orthodox form, perhaps not simultaneously, but certainly not far behind.
It would be absolutely crazy not to.
They HAVE to minimize production costs by amortizing expensive body moulds over as many units as possible.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Yes, but what about liveries ?

SCX has shown several DTM cars on its digital track whose liveries are still unannounced at the moment.

I would hate to have to buy a digital car to get a particular livery and then another usual one to swap the bodies ...

·
Premium Member
5,397 Posts
QUOTE There's a wet blanket here says they will ALL fade away after a while!

Who dat den?

·
Registered
714 Posts
It would be me too!

Luc, I can't tell what SCX might actually do, but imho it would be utterly suicidal not to make every digital car AND every livery available in orthodox format too. This doesn't mean they won't make this crazy mistake though, unfortunately!

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I should imagine you will be able to convert standard cars to digital and vice versa pretty soon, as soon as SCX start selling their chip as a repair or upgrade part, much like converting a car for the DAVIC system. Or have SCX done something really radical and unconventional inside their digital cars? Has anyone seen inside them?

·
Registered
37 Posts
No, No, No, I do not want to buy a digital car to convert it to today's standards, No, No, No.

Luke, the SCX case is exactely what I had in mind.

Luke BTW, just got theCarrera Ltd 40th set, yummmm 911 RSR Turbo + 935.

Cheers, Peace & Love.

·
Premium Member
5,397 Posts
Froggie chap, your sig link ain't doin' it for me. You got that down right? All I gets is "Internal Server Error".

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Star Photo seem to be still messing around with URL format.
Let's see if I can fix Froggie's . . .

Success!
Froggie, right click the pic and select PROPERTIES
You will see the exact format that is needed
Need .jpg after the last digit of the Pic Ref No
Need ~ in front of your name
Then need to use the boards IMG button on the whole thing
Hope this helps.

PS, that is pretty big for a signature - could you reduce it to about 1/4 that size please? Maximum height about 100 pixels or so, like mine, below.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
QUOTE But wondering about the 100 pixels high, is space limited for Froggies ?
Not at all!
But it looks better when sig is not twice the size of the posts!

Yours is now only 56 pixels high - try doubling this height and it should look pretty good. No strict rules, but I think. 100 - 120 in height is not too distracting from the posts.
A VERY nice car, by the way!

·
Registered
312 Posts
QUOTE Or have SCX done something really radical and unconventional inside their digital cars?

I have reason to believe that, as the lane changers in the track are passive, then the action must take place in the car, ie steerable guide? Also, I have reason to believe the guide has two sets of braids? This will make it harder to convert a standard slot car.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
It appears that the SCX principle is to drop the guide blade a little deeper from the car on the driver selecting to take a lane change. This will engage it with a slightly deeper diverting slot in the lane changing track. This completely eliminates the possibility of diverting other cars, which can be caused by delays when using an active lane changer in the track such as the Davic System.

This makes the lane changing tracks cheaper and more reliable and eliminates extra wiring to the track. If the mechanism in the car maintains reliability, then I think SCX have made a good choice of system. It really shouldn't be TOO difficult to swap the mechanisms around from car to car. But, we should know something more on this before the New Year, if SCX can stick to their target of a Spanish release before Christmas.
Looking forward to this very much.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts