SlotForum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I will shortly be starting on my permanent Tomy layout and I'm probably going to paint the track so I'm looking for tips on how to fill the joints before painting and what's the best product to use.

Cheers Wayne.

·
Premium Member
985 Posts
Assuming the tomy track is some sort of plastic that expands and contracts with temperature then use decorators flexible filler, also known as caulking/painters mate.its water solouble before it goes off so you can smooth the joint with water and a soft brush. i have only seen it in white and mag but it is designed to take most paints, and if you get it from wickes its dead cheap and so is the mastic gun you will need to get the stuff out of the tube.cheers steve

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Steve I'll look into it I was thinking of something sandable but I may be barking up the wrong tree.

Cheers Wayne.

·
Registered
91 Posts
its acrylic window frame sealant, you can get brown black white as far as i know, i used brown for mud on my layout

·
Premium Member
985 Posts
Hi Wayne, anything sandable will not flex with temp. changes and will crack and probably will not stick to plastic either, cheers steve

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
HO track is a lot more rigid than 1/32 track, so I'm not sure using a flexible sealant is going to be necessary.

Greg Brawn swears by 'Spackling Compound' which is basically Polyfilla.

The problem with any permanent track is extremes of temperature and the rails expanding and contracting, but this is less of a problem with HO than 1/32 as the rails are completely different.

Sanding is also important as the HO cars are going to be much more sensitive to small lumps in the track than a 1/32 car.

Where do you need to fill? With AFX track you might get a gap down the middle of a 4-lane track in the corners - and that would need filling, plus the bigger gaps at the track joints. As for the little gaps at the track joins, you should find the paint you use fills those up.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Andy its a 2 laner so only the actual joints will need filling.

So I can basically use standard filler like I'd use on my walls.

I'm going to file the joints then fill then sand then paint once I decide on the best paint to use.

Cheers Wayne.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Due to the elevation changes in Wayne's track some of the joints are a little out of line so could do with filling, it's a nice layout to drive though.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Julian as you already know I'm glad you found it fun.

And thanks to to my mystery benefactor read (mother) the funds for the table build appeared in my account this morning.

Cheers Wayne.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Hi Wayne,

I picked up some Polyfilla and plastic application knifes in Wilkos today. Plus some masking tape, a dust sheet and a mini paint roller and tray and it all came to around £7.

I did see Poundland are selling a basic tub of Polyfilla type stuff but I didn't check the price!

Depends on whether you want to go with the brand or just something that works!

My whole circuit has been screwed down with countersunk screws. I'm going to be adjusting some of them so that they are below the track's surface and then filling over the top to get a smooth continuous surface. I'll put photos up of my progress when I've done it.

Cheers

Gareth

1 - 13 of 13 Posts