SlotForum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
QUOTE (McLaren @ 7 Jan 2005, 13:22)"It will only de-slot if you exceed the speed it can handle."

What car is that not true of?

Andy
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

... a car on xlots no-deslotting digital track! (cars spin and lose time if they try to take a corner too fast, but cannot deslot)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Dont worry Paul. Thanks to your use of a comma I got your point.

BACK TO THE TOPIC THOUGH......................

When racing at home on my smaller(much smaller)than club track set up mad speeds are never really an option. control and powering out of corners for slide seems to make perfect sense. trying to wring huge speeds out of home tracks can get infuriating , as you spend more time fetching your car from the other side of the room than racing. "SLOW DOWN!!!!!!!" "I AM .. I AM"

·
Alan Tadd
4,038 Posts
An argument as old as slot racing itself........and is very much related to the mag/non mag question.

The quest for ever increasing speed, (and it's associated spiralling costs), almost killed off this hobby once. Don't let it happen again.

At the end of the day it comes down to personal preference and each person can make their own choice.

Good luck to you all, whatever your preference.

Regards

Alan

·
David Moss
461 Posts
I have to agree with the majority here. "Different strokes for different folks".
It's all down to personnal preferance & as much as I like the variety, I much prefer magless, tail happy saloons and touring cars. For me it comes from getting bored stiff watching single seaters & GT's just parade around, nose to tail.
As soon as I started watching Tin-tops & Tourers, I was hooked. 3 cars in to 1 corner and they (usually) all come out, just with a few dented panels. How exciting is that!?!
This translates to my slot racing. I much prefer 'on the limit' driving that requires skill, courage and rarest of all road manners!

Just MHO. Cheers,
Bacardibeast

·
Registered
6 Posts
QUOTE (paulw @ 7 Jan 2005, 11:31)Just thought i'd canvas some opinions here, in my ideal world the manufacturers would be making beautiful models that are 'slidey' to handle...

My 8-year old son and I are just beginners and we've only got 4 cars (all modern) between us. 2 of those are Scalextric Holden Commodores, and the other 2 are Scalextric rally cars - a Ford Focus and a Subaru Impreza. The Holdens have a big magnet, are light (no interior) and the really shift, rarely sliding to any great extent. The rally cars have just a little button magnet, go round most corners sideways and are much, much more challenging to drive. On our current home track layout the best laps done in the rally cars were 6.1 seconds but the Commodores are a full second faster (with a 2nd magnet fitted and the body off I've had a 4.0s lap from one of them).

The rally cars are great fun though, with their big lurid slides (we needed to fit borders on some corners to keep the cars on track) and seem quite a good compromise to me. I'm looking forward to trying other cars in the future though.

Regards
Steve

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
let me recommend SCX 4WD rally cars, unscrew the magnet, run in the motor, and, in my opinion, have a great time...

assuming you haven't found out about them yet.

paulw

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Totally agree, Paul, most cars are too fast for what they are. I am with Astro on the variation, only my LMPs, Gp 5s, and modern F1 cars have magnets. I am in the process of refitting many of my vintage and rally cars with cheap motors that are very close to NC-1 in power. I just did the new Scaley Caterham and it is an absolute blast with out magnet, a little lead in back, and the low powered motor! One of the most fun cars I've driven, still gets sideways, but is very hard to deslot.

Modern F1 cars could be made to get very sideways, just like a non mag slot car, if you drive it hamfisted. It is true that since wings, the quick way around the track with an F1 car has been to keep the wheels in line, unless your name was Gilles!?!

·
Premium Member
5,617 Posts
Yes, someone above mentions it, the new classic F1's from Scaley are glorious in their relative lack of speed.

I don't buy this customer driven argument, mind. Just who is contacting any of 'em and saying, "Your products can be seen when driven, please employ bigger, better, faster motors immediately."?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Interesting discussion. I agree that variety is where it's at in slot-racing. Also interesting to note is that as with 1:1 cars, just because one has alot of power doesn't mean it all has to be used all the time. The throttle is adjustable. (Though I have had fun steering with the throttle
) Speed thrills, thats why it sells and it's the very essence of any racing. Some racing is faster (F-1), some is slower comparatively, (NASCAR). I am glad all the forms are out there and hope to see more added in the future. Someday, I hope to build a track to scale so that, like 1:1 cars, a racer can't have too much power.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.