SlotForum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Best quickest way to cut brass is with a band saw and sander.

Lacking that, a good vise, scriber, straight edge/ruler and a hack saw will do the job. Thinner brass can be scored with a hardened scriber and bent at the scribe line back and forth a bit to separate the two pieces. A good file will be needed to file rough surface edges smooth to make joints line up best for soldering and fitting. Depends on what you final objective is of course. Always have fun with brass as it reminds me of Gold when cleaned up nice.

·
Graham Windle
4,445 Posts
I use a variety of methods to cut brass ,I find 18 swg brass plate cuts well with an exacto razor saw,I use this in conjunction with an exacto mitre block to make sure edges are straight and need a minimum of filing,thicker brass needs a junior hacksaw and a steady hand.As larry says you must scribe an acurate line and always cut on the waste side of the line then finish off with a file . A dremmel cuuting disc is also handy when cutting brass but care must be taken to cut straight you can also go through quite a few discs as they break easy.The best method I have found for cutting tube is just to roll a stanley knife over it ,it will soon go through. Piano wire is best cut with the dremmel but a good pair of side cuts can be used for brass rod.
Graham

·
Registered
376 Posts
Hi Tony

all of my cutting is done with a Dremel tool and their cut off disks...... it takes a little practice to use one right, but once you get the hang of it they work great...

BE SURE TO WEAR SAFTY GLASSES....... YOu will break cut off wheels and they come undone at HIGH speeds.......

Chris..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts