SlotForum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first of the 2005 F1 cars to be launched is Toyota's TF105:-

Toyota have a strong driver line-up in Jarno Trulli and Ralf Schumacher. Let's see if the team can finally produce some respectable results this year.

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Externally there doesn't appear to be much difference between the TF104 and the TF105, although I'm sure there have been substantial technical changes. Mike Gascoyne is quoted as saying that the TF105 is the product of a year's work, adding that Toyota compromised the development of the TF104B in the final races of last season in order to focus on the TF105.

Kind regards,

Russell

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
Most likely there's not much difference in the illustrations. F1 teams are paranoid about giving away secrets.

We used to use F3000 engine bits for photography at Cosworth. In 1996 I showed the engineers a book Renault had produced with loads of engine centre pics. They poured over it for hours.

Even earlier they told me they had altered a cutaway drawing and later heard the guys at Ilmor - near neighbours to Cosworth - had wasted a lot of time and effort trying to make the drawing work.

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"Italian Jarno Trulli says Toyota's new Formula One car reminds him of the poorly-handling Jordan he drove in 2001." Atlas F1.

Oh dear!
Back to the drawing board....

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After the disappointing performance of the Toyota TF105, which Jarno Trulli likened to his poorly handlong 2001 Jordan, designer Mike Gascoyne has gone back to the drawing board.

Toyota to Test Heavily Revised Car at Barcelona

Monday February 14th, 2005

Atlas F1, by Jonathan Noble

A radically different Toyota TF105 is scheduled to hit the track for testing at Barcelona in Spain tomorrow, with the team's technical director Mike Gascoyne saying he expects no rival to match the kind of revamp his design team has completed.

Toyota were the first Formula One team to unveil their 2005 challenger, with the car hitting the track in early January, as the outfit made sure to get on top of the mechanical aspects of the new machine.

Toyota talked about introducing the definitive aero package nearer the start of the season, although the extent of the overhaul is something of a surprise.

Speaking to Autosport.com about what would be new on the car, Gascoyne said: "Everything is different - even the panels bonded on the sidepods have had to be taken off.

"There is a new undertray, new rear bodywork, new brake ducts, new drums, a new nosebox, a new front-wing, new plates and new turning vanes - so apart from the monocoque everything else is new.

"We have made full use of the resources we have. For sure people are going to update their car, but no-one is going to be able to do it to the extent we have."

The decision to overhaul the TF105 to such an extent has meant extra work and extra cost for the Toyota team, but Gascoyne believes it is the best course of action for the Japanese outfit - and is fully justified considering the team have one of the biggest budgets on the grid."

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
"For sure people are going to update their car, but no-one is going to be able to do it to the extent we have."

So ner, ner, ner, ner...

Fortunatly for the other teams, they don't need to. They get it right the first time.

How can anyone at Toyota justify wasting so much money on a team so bad?

Andy

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
QUOTE (McLaren @ 14 Feb 2005, 19:55)How can anyone at Toyota justify wasting so much money on a team so bad?
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Stourbridge Toyota had the cheek to charge me £116 on Saturday for a sealed beam unit (not to fit - that's just the part so I have to supply my own screwdrivers). This may explain where the money to burn on this F1 team comes from.

Coop

1 - 10 of 10 Posts