SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I would like to show you a new Japanese rally car that I have finished.

It's the Toyota Toyopet Crown that participated in the Mobilgas rally of Australia in 1957. Therefore this car is, according to the chronicles, the first Toyota to compete in a rally.

toyopet-crown-deluxe-rally-mobilgas-aust

To make this model I used as a base a 1/32 scale model of ARII brand, with a PCS adjustable chassis.

arii-toyopet-crown-1-32.jpg?w=768&h=514

To make the decoration I used different photographs and videos from Internet sites, and finally I will make these decals.

decals-toyopet-crown-rally-mobilgas-aust

For the cockpit I have used one from a SEAT 1430 from Altaya, changing the pilot and co-pilot so that the steering wheel is on the right.

Regarding the wheels, I have used the original ones that came in the box, and I have inserted them into plastic rims of the appropriate size, then painting by hand the white band of the tires.

And this is the final result...

50025900471_2dcc667112_z.jpg

50025356443_8da9d35251_z.jpg

50026160817_04ae17a0a9_z.jpg

50025900591_02a0e8a02c_z.jpg

I hope you like it.
Thank you very much for your reading and comments.

Best regards,
Guillermo.

https://ukloma.wordpress.com/2020/06/20/toyota-toyopet-crown-rally-mobilgas-round-australia-1957/

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
That is sooo very color. Thank you for sharing.

·
*** Leo A Capaldi ***
3,694 Posts
Hello Guillermo,

That is a great slot car to have, well done. Fantastic job painting the tyres !!

Leo

Edit:- I see from your blog that the Round Australia Rally was almost the same distance as the London to Sydney Marathon Rally.

·
Kitbasher
4,427 Posts
I built the same car for the SlotRally GB at the Toyota Headquarters a few years ago.

Mine had a slotclassic chassis modofied to take an Airfix steering unit.

I still have it some where (!).

Despite much research with help from Toyota GB (Thanks Scott) all of my meterial was in Black and White so it was not until I went to the Goodwood Festival and saw the replica that I realised some of the decals were in yellow!

Nice model, well made. I will try and find either my car or some pictures.

·
ParrotGod
9,879 Posts
Nicely done and presented. How does it go around the track?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Hello Guillermo,

oh yes, I like your model ! A very special and rare slot-car done with passion ....... wonderful !
thumbsup.gif

greets, claus

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Nice work, I like something different
thumbsup.gif

·
Kitbasher
4,427 Posts
Well I found 'a' picture but not the one I am looking for....

Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel

I do have a couple of kits in the stash so I just need to amend my decal sheet for the yellow bits and I can build a Mark2.

And once again, really nice job Ukloma

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you very much everyone for your comments! I'm sorry but I've been disconnected for a few days, for my holidays...

Yes, I also think it is always special to make little known cars, especially for the pre-documentation task that needs to be done.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hello Guillermo,

That is a great slot car to have, well done. Fantastic job painting the tyres !!

Leo

Edit:- I see from your blog that the Round Australia Rally was almost the same distance as the London to Sydney Marathon Rally.
Thank you very much Leo .

Painting the tires was easy. I put white paint on a smooth surface (plastic) and then pressed the tire like a stamp...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I found 'a' picture but not the one I am looking for....

attachicon.gif
toyopets.jpg

I do have a couple of kits in the stash so I just need to amend my decal sheet for the yellow bits and I can build a Mark2.

And once again, really nice job Ukloma
Thank you very much! I am glad to know that I am not the only one who has thought the little madness of making this car !!!

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
Brilliant! A great choice, I've never seen that car before.

"Painting the tires was easy. I put white paint on a smooth surface (plastic) and then pressed the tire like a stamp..."

Very clever - I love trying to think of ways to improve my car modelling. Actually, I've never built a model with white tyre sidewalls but now I'm going to have to think of one!

Andy

·
*** Leo A Capaldi ***
3,694 Posts
Hello Guillermo,

Can I ask what paint you used? I have tried that "reverse-tampo" technique but just got a mess. Was using (white) acrylic paint.

Leo

1 - 20 of 28 Posts