SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
Can't believe nobody's mentioned it yet! Last week, SRC announced that it will be going all modern with an Alonso-inspired Toyota TS050 https://www.slotcar-today.com/en/notices/2020/06/toyota-ts050-src-goes-to-lmp1-8562.php

I'm delighted that a manufacturer is going to cover a subject from the most recent era of Le Mans - which was absolutely the most exciting thing in the sport when it had four manufacturers and some genuine drive behind it. Sadly, Dieselgate put a stop to all the fun and games, leaving Toyota banging round on its own like Audi did for years and years.

Anyway, a nice shiny plastic Toyota is promised and that makes me happy. Presumably SRC will have to use its FF angle winder many-geared drivetrain in order to make the rear end look nice so for most of us it will be a shelf queen, but I'm glad that somebody is at least making the effort!

I still can't get excited enough by the fuzzy felt finish of 3D printing to try one of the Porsche 919 kits, nor have I seen one of Patto's PTEG versions that had convinced me. Perhaps Milan will get around to them, but I wish that there were proper 2014-15 versions of the Audi R18 as well. The Nissan was a bad joke that did neither its owners nor the series any credit and it should have been drowned at birth.

Anyway, there you are. Toyota LMP is on its way, with SRC 'intending' to release it this year - although that sounds as dubious as Renault and Mercedes 'intending' to stay as constructors in F1 and Del Trotter 'intending' to be a millionaire by this time next year!

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I am pretty sure you never saw those cars live ... They were amazing. And the fight between Porsche, Audi and Toyota ... All this with a different technology for each car. And the fight in GT was great as well.

·
Premium Member
2,256 Posts
Its an iconic car and I'm most happy that it will now become available to the "general" slot community.
I will most definitly get me a TS 050 once they become available.

As for the FF motored AW config ...I know some good 3D designers printers that will be quick to develop alternative Chassis.

With kind regards
Tamar

·
Registered
866 Posts
The great thing about the hybrid Audi, Porsche, Toyota years was the difference between the energy store systems each team employed, pushing the limits of technology through motorsport always has been important. Although LM had become Toyota v themselves, the LMP 2 and GT battles were enjoyable and bop ensured close racing.

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Meh.

Modern LMP shizzle?

Meh.
Tush and piffle. Wrap your orbs around this lot - and feel free to bemoan the dismal commentary:

I had my tickets for this weekend (sob) in fact my last Le Mans visit was the infamous last lap Toyota meltdown in 2016
ohmy.png
I was in the Rebellion pit when that happened. Their drivers immediately ran down to the Toyota pits to commiserate. Un-be-lievable.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Great videos, they show the fight in the traffic but also between them
thumbsup.gif
What they don't show is the incredible acceleration of those hybrid prototypes. Rockets !

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
Wonder vids, thanks. Superb motor racing at its best. I also enjoyed the commentary. Two enthusiasts who, refreshingly, can also pronounce Porsche correctly!

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Hoff is a big personality who's been around since dinosaurs roamed the earth but that whole rabbit hole about electing a World Endurance Party was pure Alan Partridge.

Agreed that it is a step up from most F1 punditry but I still have to curl up in a ball and count to ten on the Spa comments.

·
Premium Member
5,397 Posts
Yes, yes. Personally, and I'm speaking just for myself here, but, personally, and this is just my thoughts, obviously, I love a little naff commentary and digression* John Watson, anybody? I also love the cut 'n' thrust of a good race and that kinda transcends the car types.

But, and it's a big but, I cannot get excited about the look of the current LMP cars. Technical marvels, mad performance, uninspiring visuals - though dramatic. Undeniably dramatic. Spaceship performance, spaceship looks. It's just... Meh.

The decision to make any of the recent all conquering LiMPs is, I think, quite a brave one. Not awash with repaints, are they?

*Don't make me listen to Ben Edwards, please? I'm begging, here. Please?

Reactions: driver#8

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
Wankel

Absolutely! LMP... The curate's egg - almost. Shrapnel on four wheels, downforce almost suffocating, snug safe cockpit with air-con, fit drivers flat-out...

LMP1 probably represents the pinnacle of automotive combustion evolution (possibly, perhaps) but...

... what do they look like? I just don't know. Something, perhaps, dreamt up by Mervyn Peake, Chris Bangle, Salvador Dali and my uncle Bonkers after a really heavy night in White Lightning, perhaps?

I've tried to like them. Haven't succeeded, yet...

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
Just watched the wonderful clip above of the Silverstone video again, because it's too good to miss, but there is one facet I missed first time.

Spectators are conspicuous by their absence. The grandstands all around the circuit are empty, despite relatively cheap tickets.

Do we need to wonder why? Same picture at rounds of the new single-seater championship for women. No spectators. Empty grandstands. Interesting, eh?

·
Registered
866 Posts
Been to the Silverstone 6hours/ 1000 k most years since 76,that WEC weekend ticket was indeed a bargain, seem to remember support races and pit lane walkabouts, old pits and wing pits. The Porsche, Audi, Toyota battles have been epic until dieselgate and Porsche pulling the plug, we have been fortunate to watch them. The future may be environmentally/politically/morally correct but can't see it being so exciting, fortunately we have a fabulous offering of historic/classic events to choose from, just not this year.

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not awash with repaints, are they?
The Porsche 919 is the best bet. You can get the two 2014 cars, the three 2015 Le Mans cars and the 2016 livery.

Audi changed the car quite drastically over the last three years, but you could get away with it in a 'Scalextric knocking out 2001 McLarens/2005 Renaults for years' fashion provided that the liveries were spot-on.

The 2011 Peugeot was nice, even if it had a few too many similarities to the Audi for my comfort.

Toyota hasn't done much at all to its livery through the years, but putting 'Alonso' on the side never hurt.

Rebellion R-One, though. 2014/15/16 gives four cracking liveries, then in 2017 the Michel Vaillante car. Nicccce!

Spectators are conspicuous by their absence. The grandstands all around the circuit are empty, despite relatively cheap tickets.
We sold 8,000 tickets for Silverstone in 2011 and the ACO thought it was Christmas! In 2015 I went on lots of forums and asked why five times as many Brits chose to go to Le Mans than Silverstone. The answers in descending order:

1) Nothing else to do for 6 hours

2) High price for food/drink/camping

3) Weather (Silverstone tending to be early in the season and not yet remotely temperate)

4) Dislike the venue

5) Nothing for wife/kids to enjoy

All fairly solid arguments. Silverstone did get a genuine 30,000+ to the old 1000 KMs in the 1980s but the world was very different - Autosport was selling 30,000 copies a week! Brands Hatch 1000 KMs was full because if you bought a Grand Prix ticket you could get a 2-for-1 deal on the sports cars.

Try and get that idea past the finance team these days!

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
Driver

Number 4 on your list above should be of interest to Silverstone. Today, the whole place reminds me of a WW2 internment camp with a bingo hall at its hub and fortune-tellers' tents scattered hither and thither.

I've spent the greater part of my life at racing tracks, including Silverstone, and can't imagine a good reason for returning to the Northamptonshire circuit. Aesthetically, it's a mess, and socially, I find it hostile, and unwelcoming.

Loved it years ago. Utterly ghastly today.

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
It's a huge pity that Silverstone, like so many things, has descended into the pit of obese excess. It occupies roughly the same land area it did after the War, but has developed sluggish old-age 'spread', bulging out of a 58in waistline.

None of it fools me because I'm old enough to remember just how good it once was. Oulton Park, by contrast, is better than ever.

Pic below of Neil Corner in his Type 59 at Esso (Oulton) circa 1970.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 122 Posts