SlotForum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Jamie Coles
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whilst the Grand Prix was on yesterday I was also seeing what was on MTV - and in one advert break there was a slot car circuit with a little boy racig a car around it in a figure of eight with a bridge but kept coming off.

This car looked like a Carrera Camarro and the track looked like Carrera with the white lines down the middle.

The boy took the car to his father who took a screwdriver and adjusted a couple of screws on the car and the car carried on racing perfectly.

Then the camnera panned out and father was workig at a drawing board.

Then the tag line about Toyota -

I only saw it once- just wondered if anyone else knows of this one.

J-c

·
Graham Windle
4,442 Posts
missed that one jc but on the tcm channel earlier this week they screened grand prix with james garner and at the monza race they featured a large slot track in one scene ,does any one know who made that one ,it loked like airfix track as the surface was grey but there were no close ups so I couldnt be sure

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
The ART (Arab Radio & Television) Formula One coverage is sponsored by Toyota and we get a constant stream of Toyota commercials, alternating between the one featuring the Carrera Camaro, described by J-C, and another featuring a Toyota F1 designer on a beach, remodelling a car that his son made from sand to resemble a F1 car.

The commercial with the slot car shows a Toyota engineer's son driving a Carrera Camaro around a Carrera track, set-up on the living room floor, with the car constantly deslotting; the Toyota engineer opens up his laptop, brings up a graphical image of the track, keys in some data... and voila! He adjusts the front body mounting screws of the Camaro and his son races away at record breaking speed, without the car deslotting once!

It's interesting that on the English service of ART they pick up race commentary from ITV, as do many countries around the world. In October 2003 Toyota actually pulled out of the £25 million sponsorship deal they had with ITV, with two years still left in the contract. I guess that this is a much cheaper way of sponsoring the ITV feed, albeit indirectly.

With Toyota having a budget exceeding the GDP of a small country - and bigger even than that of Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro - let's hope that Ralf Schumacher and Jarno Trulli, along with Mike Gascoyne, can finally produce results -- their board of directors must be peeved seeing the view from the cockpit showing the back of the BAR-Honda's.

As Martin Brundle commented: "When Ralf is on it, he really is on it. Unfortunately he goes AWOL most of the time"!

I loved the other Brundle comments too:

"Kimi is really mustard over the kerbs!" and "Barrichello is giving it full bananas!"

Kind regards

Russell

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
so the underlying messgae of the toyota ad is 'so technically brilliant they can even make a Carrera go fast'??

·
Jamie Coles
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Russell,

Many thanks for confirming my observations - as I was at the gym at the time and using a cross-trainer so I didn't see all the advertisement as I was concentrating on the GP.

Maybe we had better watch out for Scott's performance improvement in future Carrera Muscle car classes!!

j-c

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
I am reliably informed that our (Toyota) budget not as big as Ferrari's, but I agree it is big enough to expect to do better than beat Minardi and Jordan. If they got under - and no one buys Jaguar - we had better start improving or we'll be plum last next year!

We pulled out of the ITV F1 sponsorship as we were already scoring higher or as high as BMW, Mercedes and Renault in public surveys about makes involved in F1. Money went instead on Corolla Verso ads.

The ads on odd European satellite and other channels comes direct from Toyota Motorsport marketing. You know, the same team who came up with a whole campaign based around "Change The Pace".

As they say, we preach best what we most need to learn...

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Don't despair, Scott. I've no doubt that Ralf and Jarno will have some podium finishes next year.

The Emirates / Toyota Team New Zealand entry for the America's Cup is doing rather well! They won the ACC Champion 2004 title, beating Team BMW Oracle Racing!

Kind regards

Russell

1 - 9 of 9 Posts