SlotForum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - My brother and I have been working on a track for some time now. It's a Scalextric digital layout FWIW. My question is this: the track itself has been laid down for months now as we've been working ion improvements to the scenery, etc. We are going through a heat wave here in Northern California the last few days, which has resulted in the track buckling in a couple of places ("popping up" where two pieces of track meet). This is rather distressing as we are really locked into the track being as set. Apart from the heat going away and the plastic track contracting, does anyone have any suggestions on methods to secure the track to the table? We've considered screwing down the offending sections at the outer edges well away from the rails. IS there a better way to accomplish this?

Thanks!

·
Graham Windle
4,442 Posts
I'm having the same problem and can only use the track at night when its cool ,during the day I cover it to prevent the sun light getting at it through my loft window.I think my problem is there is no where for the track to move as I cut the borders from plywood and fixed them to the base holding the track in position a big mistake .My current lay out is scalex sport a product Ive never used before my previous tracks have always been routed or carrera and the problem has never been as bad as with sport .even though its only been in use for a short time I'm considering ripping it up and starting again

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
sorry plexi track is renowned for this the only way is to remove the fixings that hold the track in place it needs to be able to expand and contract without restriction.

it will bend otherwise so has to be free and not fixed

Zen

·
Graham Windle
4,442 Posts
Just been up to the loft for a run on the track and found a hump back bridge had manifested its self on the back straight despite it being covered ,so I took the bull by the horns and lifted the track clear of the borders at one end leaving it free to expand and contract as it wanted it juust means the outer lane at that end of the room hasnt a smppth transition to the borders I think I'l make a border which ataches to the track and can move with it like the proprietry scalex ones and not one which locates the track as I have now . ,You can teach an old dog new tricks . its usable and quite smooth again now even in this heat wave.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Have seen a commercial plastic track with gaps between the track and the MDF borders to allow for expansion. The track can move a bit but won't go far. From memory I thought it was about 1/8" gap but someone recently said 1/4" is better. I suppose it depends how big the layout is and the overall expansion.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I had this happen on my Scale Sport Le Mans layout. The track was free floating, but it was "pinched" in place by borders I made, which were glued to the table. The borders were just a little too tight in couple spots. What I had to do is to "nibble away" a bit on a couple of the borders to give the track more breathing room. No problems since then.

·
Martyn
742 Posts
Hi Guys.

I use Ninco track, and its in the shed down the bottom of the garden, the temperature changes from winter to summer, from - 4 Degrees Centigrade to last years high of +45 Degrees Centigrade, I have never stuck down the track at all and have very little problem with it. I don't tend to race when its very cold and I don't tend to race when its very hot, but the track itself behaves itself and is always ready when I am. so guess the answer might be Don't screw, or glue the track down. The. track by the way does not move because its not stuck down.

Hope that helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts