SlotForum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
Is there any easy modification for making Track Call buttons for D132 system? Pushing Start button on BB is difficult, so we're searching for a way to make 4 big push button for drivers to tempoary stop the race.
Any hints are welcome,
thanks
FP

·
Bruce Yingling
1,607 Posts
It really depends on the details of your system and how you race. If you use the 'Start' button on a BB to pause the race, it refills the fuel tanks in every car when you restart the race. If you don't run with fuel, that may not be an issue, and I know some who have opened the BB and wired their track call relays to the 'Start' button circuit.

As an alternative, you could bring the track feed wires outside the BB and insert your track call switch in the loop before the BB output even gets to the track.

Both of these options also influence the standard D132 lap counter (assume you are using one). Wiring to the start button circuit can cause issues with a lap counter controlled race, and if you choose the other option, you will need to power the lap counter directly from the BB output- not from the rails. If you don't connect it directly to the BB oputput, killing the power to the rails will also restart the lap counter. In either case, when using a standard D132 lap counter, lap times will be skewed whenever you press your track call button.

If you are using any kind of computer software to control your racing, then all of this is useless, as you will likely need to synchronize your track call system with the computer software.

·
Tore
1,703 Posts
Hi Bruce, If I remember correctly your software restores the fuel level when using the start button as a track call, so if running the track with your software and a modified BB/CU with an extended track call button, then this should work?

Tore

·
Bruce Yingling
1,607 Posts
QUOTE (356speedster @ 16 Apr 2012, 12:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Bruce, If I remember correctly your software restores the fuel level when using the start button as a track call, so if running the track with your software and a modified BB/CU with an extended track call button, then this should work?

Tore

When using a CU, the fuel levels won't be reset if using my software. I have not tested it, but I believe this is even true of the new version of X-Lap. This is not 100% foolproof, as a track call during the first lap may still reset fuel levels. When using a BB, the levels get reset in any case.

This is because when using a BB, fuel usage is calculated in each individual car chip, and they get reset during the start sequence. A CU calculates fuel usage on it's own, rather than handing it to the car chips.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bruce, thanks for the answer. For now, we're running without fuel, so fuel levels aren't a problem. We are using D132 lap counter conected to PC with RichG cable with your software. I read on your page how to setup relay to control the power on the rail. If I understand, we can pause the race with space bar. Can we connect any other button on relay to pause the race?
Thanks,
MM

·
Bruce Yingling
1,607 Posts
QUOTE (FacPrime @ 17 Apr 2012, 11:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Bruce, thanks for the answer. For now, we're running without fuel, so fuel levels aren't a problem. We are using D132 lap counter conected to PC with RichG cable with your software. I read on your page how to setup relay to control the power on the rail. If I understand, we can pause the race with space bar. Can we connect any other button on relay to pause the race?
Thanks,
MM

The relay board my software uses is pretty much computer controlled. That's why I didn't mention it in my first post. I don't think it would work to add a button in the relay circuit, as the software would have no way of knowing you had pressed that external button.

At present the software does not monitor the state of the relays, but when it needs to change the state of a relay, it does check the state of all 8 before making the change. This is because I had a custom request from Sebastian (rubirosa) to add some pace car control logic and start button logic to the relay board code.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts