SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the robo-clean car that polishes the rails. However, dirty rails has never been the main problem. Being a home racer with a permanent carpet layout, dust and dirt on the track surface is a nightmare, even if u dont race for a day or so, the build up reduces grip tremendously.

Inte suggested cleaning the track with 'swiffer' cloths, a kind of super dust rag that claim to be 'active dust magnets', and these were impressive. However, laziness is the mother of invention, and so i figured if i modified a chassis into a kind of snow plough that would push the duster around the track....

so I made this (front wheels replaced by coat hanger fashioned into a plough kind of thing)

And it works amazingly well too!

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
am now considering it paulh, thanks for the offer... but i suspect i will hang on to it, even tho i am not really using it, mainly cos I love gadgets.

This new thing has reduced the time of thoroughly cleaning my 2 lane 10 meter circuit from 2 hours to 15 seconds. I am very chuffed!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
One of the most revolutionary ideas I've seen on here for a long time. Well done Astro
Hopefully you've glued and trued the appropriate parts

Mark.

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
QUOTE This new thing has reduced the time of thoroughly cleaning my 2 lane 10 meter circuit from 2 hours to 15 seconds

Hmmm..... so..... assuming 2 hours to push a swiffer cloth around a 10 meter circuit by hand.... that's 5 meters per hour.... or about 3.3 inches per minute. Astro, me thinks you were pausing for too many refreshment breaks!

And... the coat hanger wire does look a bit out of scale.

But nice gizmo, though!

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
I agree with fergie - the front wire gizmo looks out of scale and not centered.

Also you might want to add another wire gizmo at the rear and try a non mag setup to clean the edges of the track as you side slide round the corners. Adding a little weight would definately improve your driving experience

Actually, teasing aside that is a great invention IF a little on the lazy side!

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
I agree- brilliant, Astro!

I'm going to make one today. I understand the problem of track cleaning- mine is stuffed into the loft, and access is very awkward, especially with the slope of the pitched roof. I made the mistake of shoving the maximum track into the smallest space, and cleaning the track by hand takes hours- some is actually unreachable. Most marshalling has to be done with a 'litter-grabber'.

Thanks for the post.

·
Jim Moyes
5,002 Posts
Manufacturing opportunity there, Astro!

I think the Farnham members would club together for four of those as it would help to increase drinking/gassing (not 651ra type gassing) time after the race meeting!

Mr.M

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
glad you guys like the idea. And I can't wait to see howmet's meticulously crafted and highly engineered version

the 2 hours is because hand dusting seems to spread a lot of dust around, so you drive a couple of laps, then clean the dirt off the wheels, then repeat... then repeat with a car with a different track... and so on. Also there is the time spent trying to clean up the sellotape that has ended up everywhere after cleaning the tyres....

The result of this previous method is a dark grey track with black stripes where the tyres go. Now my track is all black again. Not positive which look I prefered.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Great idea astro
Just as an add on ive found "tak rags" which they use in the automotive re finishing industry are great for cleaning track. They could be used on either your gizmo or by anyone who has to clean by hand as the rags are actually tacky and no dust gets past them, you dont suffer from the "spread it about" syndrome.

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
I think Astro should put in a Patto's "Little Swiffer" motor and upgrade to some "Swif.it" parts. Then he could really clean up...

·
Registered
714 Posts
Anyone heard of the term vacuum cleaner? Hoover?

For authenticity rig up a Chapparal 2 J with working sucker fans and scale filters.
For greater efficiency, rig it with a trailer carrying a hole-free pair of swiped panty hose.
(Be sure to remove lady friend from panty hose first!)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts