SlotForum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have got hold of some classic track but its a bit grubby and the rails are dull. Whats the best way to clean it up and with what products? Can I for example use brasso or similar for the rails and some thing like back to black or gt85 on the plastic?

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
Don't use anything abrasive on the rails, it will take off any protective coating that may be on them. I use methylated spirits to clean both track and rails and then top dress the rails with Inox MX3 which helps protect them from moisture and rust. Others will no doubt recommend different methods for you.

Embs

·
Registered
270 Posts
GT85 has PTFE in it and I think Back to Black has silicone, both will make the plastic very slippery and kill any grip you have.

WD40 is a simple way to clean the rails but doesn't last that long.

·
Premium Member
8,227 Posts
Doesn`t matter if your rails are dull, as long as they are not rusty.
Meths, WD40,turps substitute all okay on the rails.
I`ve always just used an oily rag.
Twice a year I rub the plastic with a cloth with a bit WD 40 on. The rest of the time one of those new microfibre dusters keeps the plastic dust free.
Cheers,
Kev.

·
Tore
1,692 Posts
Clean the track pieces submerged in water and soap (dishwash detergent) using a stiff floor scrub, then clean the rails with contact cleaner. WD40 or Inox MX3 using a stiff sponge. Finally snug up all the "female" connectors gently with a needle nose plier.

I used this method on about 60+ pieces of old grimy Scalextric Classic track and it took a whole afternoon/evening, but it was well worth it. The result was good conductivity and surprisingly good grip.

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
I still use Plebys track cleaner which you can buy on ebay.

It does a great job of cleaning the plastic track but make sure you wipe it off with a damp cloth as it can leave the surface slippery!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts