SlotForum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just gotten back into slot car racing after getting a SCX Ferrari F1 C-3 set up for my two kids and for myself(lol)

My question is what tracks are compatible with each other, in the analogue form and also the digital form. I am wanting to build a 4-6 lane setup and go digital, I had an AFX setup as a teenager which I had 50-60 meters of track which was setup permanently in a four lane configuration with rolling hills and scenery.
So what goes with what and is there anything that you should look out for when going to a digital setup and is there a maximum track length?

Thank you in advance, cheers Alden

·
Jim Moyes
5,056 Posts
Speaking for analogue, there are adaptors to join new SCX track to the old, which is virtually the same as Scalextric Classic, so then there are adaptors to join to the new Sport and even the original rubber Scalextric tracks if you so desire. Plus Ninco did an adaptor to convert to SCX old/Scalextric Classic as well.

Phew!

That's given me a great idea for a rally stage. 6/7 surfaces in one!

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
Ok.... Speaking current analogue 1:32 world there are adapters available to go from Scalextric Classic/SCX Classic to Scalex Sport. There is supposedly an adapter to go from Ninco to Scaley Classic and also one from Carrera to Scaley Sport. Merc A has made one to go from Carrera to Ninco without any issues. And there's a company that will make an adapter from anything to anything. So, in the analogue world they can all join up in a row, even if you may have to have Scalex Sport pieces in between.

Oops, except for Artin.

Embs

·
Registered
326 Posts
Be a bit aware tho, even if you find an adapter to hook the tracks together, it doesn´t always mean you get a smooth and fine running track. I have even had issues with hooking up my Scalextric classic with my sports sections, where the pick-ups are too deep on the classic tracks and if changed or cut down, too low on the sports track to keep the car in the slot at some places. I can imagine you can run into even worse problems with mixing Scalextric/Carerra/Ninco/SCX.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you guys for your fast replies, I am thinking that I should go and get some proper measurements of all the track types you guys have listed(I haven't ever heard of some of them) before I buy any track off eBay. I was figuring that the major problem was going to be the connections but to find out the slot depth changes between brands now that's a problem.

I am looking to build a smooth track with elevation changes made by building up the table top surface to create hills and dips.

Ok what digital setup do most people use/recommend? I have only ever seen the SCX setup working at my local toy store, and it looks like fun but I have been reading a few posts by guys who modify the Scaley digital and it also looks great!

Thanks again, cheers Alden

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
You can make your own track adaptors from anything to anything (including plastic to routed wooden track) if you are willing to do a bit of do it yourself work. The track width and lane spacing of some makes are different, so the adaptor pieces aren't all simple straights. There are also differences in slot depth and rail height.

You can get round slot depth differences easily enough. It makes no different if the slot is deeper than the guide needs, so just make sure all your guides work in the shallowest slot. (That may mean cutting a little off the bottom of the deeper guide flags.)

Differences in the height from the top of the pick up rail to the track surface can still cause pick up problems.

Also the bend radii and straight lengths of some makes are different which can make a difference when trying to make the complete lap join up.

Different digital systems are incompatible, that means you have to choose a system, and get the lane changers, chips in cars, power system and controllers for that system. I'll leave it to the enthusiasts for each system to make the case for their choice.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Im wondering if we are not off topic, discussing tracks in the Car section... but let´s blame Mr Fat and point fingers at him when the moderators find us...

I´m very curious myself about experiences with mixing routed wooden track and consumer plastic tracks like Scalextric. I imagine that there must be a huge difference in the surface, and it would create a track that´s very confusing and ... well, maybe interesting? (or not?) to drive on.

As most of us, I dream about a routed wooden track. But I also want the possibility to drive digital, without spending 1000 € on a specialized system that only works with their particular controller / chip / lane changers (read Scorpius). I understand the prices that they set for the products, it´s club racing stuff and not something built for the consumer home track in the basement, but it´s just too much money for me to invest in.

But since i love Slot.it, their new digital system sounds very promising, and I can use the stuff I already have invested in. But same problem there... how do you build a routed wooden track with SSD lane changers if you´re not a super electronics geek. Again I would be stuck with putting plastic tracks into a wooden layout.

Doesn´t it feel weird to drive on a track that mixes wood / plastic with crossing magnet / non magnetic grip surfaces?

Decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Some great help there and some food for thought, I went to look at some second hand Scalextric easy fit track and it is a weird setup but I was thinking that if I was going for a fixed setup which I am I could cut the connecting lugs off and glue the track together and solder the rails which I was planning on doing anyway because I think that it would give a more solid connection.
The routered timber track is another thing that seems like a really fun project and would make some great driving, I will have to do some major research on how it's done best I am looking at filling a table top of approximately 15m2 with track and want varying racing conditions so this is all food for thought.

I am sorry about putting the topic in the wrong area, I have to admit I have never been any good on forums I usually offend a moderator and get kicked off. But I am hoping that this is not the case here because I have absolutely no idea about most of the 1:32 slot cars and none of any of the digital setups, I have electronics knowledge so once I understand the what and the how of digital slot cars I can start playing. I have helped a few people with automation and their train set ups which is heaps of fun.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
QUOTE (mINdAt3z @ 28 Dec 2011, 13:35) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Doesn´t it feel weird to drive on a track that mixes wood / plastic with crossing magnet / non magnetic grip surfaces?
Routed wood doesn't have to be non-magnetic - you can use magnabraid or magnetic paint of you want magnet traction on wood.
You don't have to have much magnet traction on plastic track, just run without traction magnets.

It will however be difficult to completely eliminate the differance.

It was also suggested MDF could be used to join two different makes of plastic track where, for example, the lane spacing is different. As there would only be a few cm of MDF, any different feel on MDF wouldn't be noticable.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Good points 300SLR.

I actually looked into magnetic paint when I still was on the idea of routing a wooden track, but 1 liter costs like 35£ here in Sweden, I would have to sell my 1:1 Golf R32 to get the money to paint the damn track.

(BTW, if you have any connections in UK where you can order magnetic paint or magnetic paint additives, let me know, I am still damn curious to try it).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts