SlotForum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some pics of my track in its current state. I haven't really done much for months due to other committments but now every Sunday a good few hours will be dedicated to finishing and painting.

Can't do to much during the week because my daughters bedroom door is next to the loft hatch and with an early bed of 7pm it doesn't leave much time after work to fit much in.

It never ceases to amaze how some chaps can get their tracks finished to such a high standard so quickly. I can only hope mine looks half as good as the ones on here. Anyway to the pics:-

Complex. The missing track is where I have replaced R3 Banked with flat R3. The banked track made things boring because with magnets fitted I could hold the throttle on full power with most cars from the start of the main straight to the top of the hill. The table needs extending a little and the infield loop will have some sort of public stand with a Goodyear bridge providing access (thankyou dear for the christmas present
)

Up the hill towards the mountain pass section. The missing section on the hill is MDF backed with modelling putty over the top with brickwork picked out with a toothpick. On the main wall to the left I'll be fitting a shelf to place the PC monitor for lap timing and I'll be storing my cars either side of the shelf.

Mountain pass (Background) Corkscrew (foreground). I'm thinking that along this section I'd like to crib the homemade barrier from bastumannen upto where the ceiling tiles start leading into the forest/picnic area.

Forest (background) Skyline bridge (Foreground) Forest area in the background and walled/barrier section over the bridge leading into the corkscrew downhill section.

Picnic and Skyline Bridge. Not too sure what to put here. I've placed the grass matting there purely to see what it will look like. This section is more or less ready for painting. I'll have a few trees at the start of the incline under the roof rafters.

The Cutting. Spectators view of the cutting area. I'm a little concerned that the plaster work isn't going to look too realistic once painted. I'm going to try a small section and see how it looks before I make a decision on the rest.

Heading for home. Under the corkscrew and through the cutting into the home straight. The straight away will be the last section completed because I need that area to the left free so I can climb up to get to mountain pass.

And a couple of truck testing days. The bridges had to be high enough to allow safe passage for trucks.

·
Ian
99 Posts
ScoobyDriver,

That's lookin' great, Love the plaster work, you have the elevation just right, well done.

Loft Racers as a breed are not recognised enough the conditions and limitations we put up with who else would spend time up there Just for Fun?

No we are not mad Pioneers of the abandoned space!

Keep them photos coming!

·
Paul Charlton
2,191 Posts
That track looks very good

Love all the elevation changes
, makes a track more pleasing to drive.

Whens the next update due

Regards Rollover

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the great comments chaps.

I'm hoping to start some painting within a couple of months.

Please feel free to check my gallery pics of St Davids' Park. Theres pics of the tracks from its initial build to where I am now.

I decided I wanted some big elevation changes so rather than raise the track sections I just cut the whole table and raised that section on stilts.

In fact its actually the tracks 1st Anniversary today. Today is St Davids' Day in Wales and a year ago today I decided on the final track layout and named it after today. Its sounds a little Australian in name and the "Corkscrew" section reminds me of the mountain of Bathhurst
(hence some of the similar names to sections
)

·
Registered
228 Posts
I can't be waiting 2 months to see this track finished.
Think of the viewers, think of yourself you really need to prioritise here. Slots first everything else second.
I for one want to see this track steadily completed by the and of march at the latest.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll be posting a few more pics when I'm finally ready to paint. I've got some more plaster work to do and smoothing of the ceiling tiles. Once all the plaster work is complete the whole lot around the track will be rubbed down so its all nice and smooth and will hopefully, once painted, give the illusion that the track is much wider. I don't want to start painting until I've finished the rub down to prevent the dust affecting the paint.

The ceiling tiles are about right for the height of scalextric sport and I've just been sticking it to the chipboard with the tile adhesive. I actually got quite frustrated with the tiles becuase I could not shape them evenly - a bit would always come off and I wasn't going to use them at all.

Eventually I decided to do what I could with the tiles and then use smooth plaster to finish the job. On the rasied corkcsrew section I've just built up layers of plaster up to the track line. This will all need smoothing with a fine sandpaper before painting but I think paint sticks better to the tiles if they've had a light sanding.

One problem with ceiling tiles is that if you forget they are there and put your elbow on them it leaves a horrible imprint that won't come out. For this reason along the main straight and where the pit area will be I've decided to use bathroom cork tiles. 2 of these stuck together is a little under the height of sport track but nothing that can't be solved and it is only 1mm at the most. Also I found bathroom cork strips which are just the right height and very handy in some places (The hill for one on my track)

Where theres a chance of a large fall for one of the cars if the driver gets it wrong I'll be making F1 style barrier fencing out of McDonalds coffee stirrers and the fine meshing used to plug big holes in rusty car bodywork.

Like this :-

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Haven't touched my track in 18 months!

All sorts of things meant it went on back burner and eventually forgotten.

Until now.

Few updates so far.

Track masked ready for paint.

First test of rock paint but too dark.

First test of brickwork on the incline.

First track paint.

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
Hi Scooby D,

Well done coming back, hope you get the time and motivation to finish your track.

It looks like it has great potential to be an excellent track.

Can't wait to see what the track looks like painted.

Your rock test hints that you have some talent with the brush.

Cheers

John

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.