SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been up and running for a few weeks and overall I'm happy with the layout (as shown). At the same time I wouldn't mind a few more braking points as I only have three with the current layout. Along with a little more variety (of speed) as even without magnets I can keep a pretty fast pace around the track. Of course I don't want to create the LA freeway and maintain a nice flow... just increase the ups and downs.

The tables, both 180 curves at the far end of the tables and the back straightaway are in cement. How I connect the two 180s is totally open. Just started playing around and I came up with the following (shown below) on the surface appears to add what I feel might be missing. As a bonus it doesn't require me to order too many new pieces. :)

Now I realize the lanes aren't even and I'm introducing elevation issues. Along with what else? Racing it's virtually a one car track so the lane difference doesn't bother me. I'll also have two lane changers if you want to pass... go for it. As far as raising the track that's part of the challenge I would enjoy.

I'm debating if I would want to raise the R2 180 inside of the R3 180 or just leave them butted together. Or I could shorten the internal straightaways and pretty much keep the R2 away from the R3. Couple other options moving the 180 R1 inwards or the curves below inwards perhaps making it a little less hectic. Any why the heck are you doing that and not doing this comments?

Picture frame Table Textile Wood Flooring

Organism Rectangle Urban design Font Recreation

Human body Rectangle Font Automotive tire Urban design

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don’t think your overpass idea as drawn works..so some sort of “Bertrand 8” might flow better, albeit shorter.. it’s a tough space
What about it doesn't work? If I can improve the flow I'm interested... although it does have to be considerably longer than the current layout. The primary reason for "upgrading"

·
Greg Gaub
16,847 Posts
I would not almost completely cover up and obscure that big 180 with another big 180. At the very least, pull that inner 180 inward a little bit so that you're only obscuring part of the outer 180.

If you're still playing around with designs and don't feel a pressing need to buy the track needed to make the new version, I'd recommend you keep playing. See if you can get bridges designed so that the track going underneath has no turns in it. Not being able to see your car through a set of turns just means you have to go much more slowly than you otherwise would, because you can't see where/when to change speed.

Or, find out if these things bother you by doing it anyway. ;-)

·
Registered
122 Posts
The thing is you have these right angle turns..they tend to mess flow..not sure what “braking” zones do, other than lead to a herky jerky style of driving..it’s all preference though, and I far prefer a smooth flow even on much shorter track to pile of spaghetti that many,others favour..longest lap distance is not always most pleasant..

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would not almost completely cover up and obscure that big 180 with another big 180. At the very least, pull that inner 180 inward a little bit so that you're only obscuring part of the outer 180.
I tried moving it in and it caused a lot of issues. I could always leave them butted up together. The cars would be going in the same direction so I don't know if that would be an issue.

If you're still playing around with designs and don't feel a pressing need to buy the track needed to make the new version, I'd recommend you keep playing.
I'm playing. :)

See if you can get bridges designed so that the track going underneath has no turns in it. Not being able to see your car through a set of turns just means you have to go much more slowly than you otherwise would, because you can't see where/when to change speed.
I might be able to place the straights underneath the turns. Not sure how easy it is make overpasses.

Or, find out if these things bother you by doing it anyway. ;-)
Yep. Roughly a $200 track/border fee to see if I like it or not. Although I'd probably use most of the pieces in what I ended up with or off to eBay.

·
Greg Gaub
16,847 Posts
Since the nested lanes are going in the same direction, you're not likely to have many cars racing on it very often, and raising either one up will cause sight issues, I'd leave the nested 180s level with one another.

Your figure 8 could be improved in many ways, but the problem being solved there is not one you car about, so I don't think it's worth spending time to do those improvements. You want a longer lap with more hard acceleration and braking points. Your previous design gives you those things with only one overpass required.

I'd probably swap which track is elevated on the right side, making the original 180 on that end the elevated one, and the new 180 the underpass. I think that would be better for driving. Either case will require some clever support structures to realize.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The thing is you have these right angle turns..they tend to mess flow..not sure what “braking” zones do, other than lead to a herky jerky style of driving..it’s all preference though, and I far prefer a smooth flow even on much shorter track to pile of spaghetti that many,others favour..longest lap distance is not always most pleasant..
I agree it's personal preference. It looks to be adding one chicane, wider 180 and a straight to the current track. Admittedly in a different order. I really like the existing elements and the "new" ones appear to blend in pretty much with the same flow.

·
Greg Gaub
16,847 Posts
Basically, what you're wanting is what we call a "point and shoot" track. Lots of straights connected by turns, not so much combination turns requiring subtle variations of speed to get the best lap. Might as well go for it. Having extra track in a box somewhere is almost unavoidable. The important thing to avoid is all of them being 1/60 turns. ;-)

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Basically, what you're wanting is what we call a "point and shoot" track. Lots of straights connected by turns, not so much combination turns requiring subtle variations of speed to get the best lap.
I do enjoy a few breaking points. And with Carrera track the R2 and R3 curves are very forgiving. As an example the 180 after my straight can be taken care at a good clip even without magnets.

If I had to guess on my current layout 99 per cent of the time the car is well over 60 per cent of its top speed. Introducing a little more variation sounds OK.

Regarding the 1/60 turns somehow Carrera sent me an extra pack so I already have a stockpile. :)

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Since the nested lanes are going in the same direction, you're not likely to have many cars racing on it very often, and raising either one up will cause sight issues, I'd leave the nested 180s level with one another.

I'd probably swap which track is elevated on the right side, making the original 180 on that end the elevated one, and the new 180 the underpass. I think that would be better for driving. Either case will require some clever support structures to realize.
As shown (updated in the first post) I nested the two left hand 180s and swapped the right side 180. Now the outside loop is elevated and I moved the curves closer to the 180 (moved the straight to the other side) so there isn't as much track underneath the overpass. Only thing bugging me is the one shoulder I can't end cleanly!

·
ParrotGod
11,090 Posts
I am not sure if you are asking for comments or just showing what you are doing. No issue with either, just to understand what you are looking for.
You have a decent length for your table but the width is not that much (also the uneven shape does not help) for carrera track.
Your original layout is quite good considering the table footprint.
If you are after a longer layout think if you can expand the width of the table.
And what counts most is the quality of the lap (some call it flow) rather than the length.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am not sure if you are asking for comments or just showing what you are doing.
Largely seeking great advice.
Your original layout is quite good considering the table footprint.
Thanks. Largely from input in my original track plan thread.
If you are after a longer layout think if you can expand the width of the table.
At this point the tables are in cement. In the future as in a couple years if I'm still involved I might consider it.
And what counts most is the quality of the lap (some call it flow) rather than the length.
Agree completely.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Charles, maybe ignore the advice, just set the comments to one side and play with ideas..track is relatively inexpensive over a reasonable period of use..get some extra ..and try out ideas..or simply lay out the basic curves without hooking it all up, then try to fill in to make it work..however you do it, experiment with ideas between flow and length/number of curves..I’d start simple and work up..you might be surprised..if you aren’t fully committed to the hobby for long term, well a design that lasts more than ten minutes may still only last an hour, or may have frustrating “car trap” curves that are more sheer luck than skill..don’t expect a design from anyone else, much less forum denizens to be the be all and end all..buying exact pieces to make such a layout might be an error

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Charles, maybe ignore the advice, just set the comments to one side and play with ideas..
Of course I filter comments (to the point some think I'm not listening) although at the same time I learn quite a bit from them without having to go through growing pains. Such as not placing a lane change out of a curve.

track is relatively inexpensive over a reasonable period of use..get some extra ..and try out ideas..or simply lay out the basic curves without hooking it all up, then try to fill in to make it work..however you do it, experiment with ideas between flow and length/number of curves..
I think that's what track designer apps are for. :) As I mentioned in the first post the 180s at each end of the tables and the back straightaway are in cement. I like those elements enough I don't want them to change. So I have been using the track designer to find various ways of connecting them.

I’d start simple and work up..you might be surprised..if you aren’t fully committed to the hobby for long term, well a design that lasts more than ten minutes may still only last an hour, or may have frustrating “car trap” curves that are more sheer luck than skill..
I have the tables in place and with what it took to get them installed they aren't going away anytime soon. I could be happy with their size and the current layout for the foreseeable future. However I enjoy the aspect of designing layouts and seeing them become reality. Originally I looked at a routed track and even with them being much more expensive (prebuilt) I rejected them knowing I couldn't alter the layout going forward.

Bottom line with the track designer I think I can get a pretty good feel for how a track will perform simply by looking at its image. At least it was right on with the current layout which gives me even more confidence.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think you can tell (better) with this image why I don't want to expand the tables. Functionality and aesthetically they are maxed in the room. The double doors hold all of my AV equipment (with the projector being overhead) and I need a decent walkway to the theatre room. Perhaps in a few years I might move it next to the exercise area (shown in my buiid thread) and at that time I could expand a bit. I thought about it there originally but it's on the way to my wife's craft room and didn't want to hear her go on and on about it being in the way. If I actually adopt the hobby I'll put up with the peanut gallery remarks. Right now it's still the stink of the stain's odor... notice the air purifier in turbo mode. :)

Furniture Table Building Wood Picture frame

1 - 20 of 27 Posts