SlotForum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Basically, what you're wanting is what we call a "point and shoot" track. Lots of straights connected by turns, not so much combination turns requiring subtle variations of speed to get the best lap.
Perhaps I read it wrong but I want to defend "point and shoot" to a degree. In my current layout the chicane is difficult to get through as fast as possible but has little affect on lap times. If you want to turn a fast lap you need to maintain your speed going into the tight corner after the straight and quickly accelerate at the right moment.

That turn pretty well sets up the entire lap and I find it takes more "subtle variations" to get it right than anywhere else on the track. I find that challenging. Now that doesn't mean I want every corner to be like that however a little "point and shoot" isn't all bad.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Do understand that track design software isnt a perfect indicator of driving experience..but am not really sure what this thread was about as you aren’t interested in input from others it seems ..
Trust me... I'm interested. Whether it best relates to my objective is another story. :) I will say in my original Track Plan thread "input" resulted in countless revisions and I believe I ended up with an initial layout that would have taken me three or so generations to achieve (by myself).

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Today I ordered the pieces needed for the image in the first post. Still not sure how I'll handle the R2 and R3 (left hand) 180s but I ordered shoulders for the R2 so that way I'll be able raise the R3 or R2 if I decided to go that way...

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Not sure it will work (very well) and I'm sure it will take a lot of tweaking but I purchased craft foam and cut it into 4x4x2 inch squares (well not exactly square since I had to cut them). I tried one under each track joint and the track appears fairly well supported. I can also use them on their side for 2 inch ramps up to the curve. Image below is just a quick test... I'm painting them black which will take a few days and waiting for the new pieces... as you can see there are a few missing. :)

Picture frame Black Wood Lighting Automotive design

·
Bob Chapman
7,085 Posts
Hi Charles and John great to see you on the board. We are long overdue for a chat.
Charles before i built my first track i asked for a lot of input from various friends who had a lot of experience. I think the best advice i got was from a well known manufacturer who gave me 3 bits of advice.
1) have at least 1 long straight so the cars can let their legs out.
2) Make an interesting design as you will soon be bored of something too simple.
3) DO NOT have anything in the design that will on its own cause offs.

From what I can see it appears that you have accomplished items 1 and 2.
As for Item 3 having a curve under an overpass is one of those things that by design can cause offs due to loss of visual on a curve.
Otherwise i rather like it.
Take some time and have a lot of laps to see if you like it. If not change the things you dont like. Thats the beauty of sectional track.
A curve on an overpass is better than a curve in an underpass. 1 more thing i learned was that your cars shoul peak out about 3/4's of the way down the longest straight.
Have fun and good luck
Bob

Reactions: Charles R

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
Charles before i built my first track i asked for a lot of input from various friends who had a lot of experience. I think the best advice i got was from a well known manufacturer who gave me 3 bits of advice.
1) have at least 1 long straight so the cars can let their legs out.
2) Make an interesting design as you will soon be bored of something too simple.
3) DO NOT have anything in the design that will on its own cause offs.

As for Item 3 having a curve under an overpass is one of those things that by design can cause offs due to loss of visual on a curve.
Great advice.

#1 - Got two. :)
#2 - The expansion is much more fun to drive. The original was almost all out around the entire track. The expansion is 32% longer and initially the lap time is 50% slower (9.6 vs 6.2). Not slow enough it's frustrating rather adding challenges of taking the curves after the main straight and the R1 chicane.
#3 - Actually the 180 under the overpass is super easy to drive. Just hit your braking point and accelerate out of the R1 180 everyone knows oh so well. :)

If I have a #3 it might be the curves coming out of the overpass. I have already tweaked the banking some but I think it will take more work. I might be adding a fence there and perhaps at the R3 180 since you now fly up to it.

Picture frame Wood Interior design Lighting Television

21 - 27 of 27 Posts