SlotForum banner

Track fixing clips

7K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Mr. Olufsen 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I was thinking of using something like the Scalextric track fixing clips to secure my teak to boards but I'm not sure if they work in conjunction with borders and barriers. Seeing as there are no slot car shops where I I've I can't go and have a look at any.

Anyone used them?

Cheers,
Damo.

#2 ·
Hi Damo!

Yes, it can be done provided you work a bit on the border sections. The clips will protrude a little from the track side and baseboard. To make the borders flush with the track edge trim the border sections a bit with a stanley knife where needed and make notches to allow them to fit over tack or screw heads. Now the plastic tongues on the borders can be helped into the track edge grooves using a flat screw driver. Inside R1 borders are the most tricky ones but it can be done if you sacrifice a few of the tongues.

Alternatively, as the layout is permanent anyway the tongues can be cut away and the border pieces fixed to the baseboard or table with screws under the rumble strips, or fixed with hot glue or 'No More Nails' mounting glue.

Hope this is useful.

Br,
Christian

#3 ·
Hi again,
Okay, the R&D Dept. has been at work this afternoon. When writing the above reply I realized it could be done in a simpler way: Put the clips into the track side slits without fixing them to the table/board. Mount the border sections as normal so they hold the clips in place, then fix the border sections to the table/board with screws under the rumble strips. There you go! The border sections hold the track firmly horizontally and vertically.

/Christian

#6 ·
Other solution : cut away (file) the necessary hight of the under-side board of track pieces, about 1cm or half an inch besides the place where the border should sit, in order to be able to insert the borderlips into the trackpieces, then slide them sideways in place, after having fixed the trackpiece with the clips.

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
QUOTE (Mr. Olufsen @ 26 Feb 2012, 07:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi again,
Okay, the R&D Dept. has been at work this afternoon. When writing the above reply I realized it could be done in a simpler way: Put the clips into the track side slits without fixing them to the table/board. Mount the border sections as normal so they hold the clips in place, then fix the border sections to the table/board with screws under the rumble strips. There you go! The border sections hold the track firmly horizontally and vertically.

/Christian
Many thanks Mr. O./Christian.
But you still have me puzzled as to why you even use the track clips if you do not use them to secure to the table top?
What is there purpose of the track clips if you secure the track using screws through the borders?
Just curious...

Cheers!

I think I got it.... border holds down clip which holds down the track, right?

#8 ·
QUOTE I think I got it.... border holds down clip which holds down the track, right?

Sealevel, that's spot on
Clip sits in track slit, border holds clip, screw holds border. I did a little cross section drawing of this in the PS thread, where you can see the border section screwed to the table on top of the track clip.

/Christian

#9 ·
BUMP-BUMP!

#10 ·
Sorry, I forgot to say "Thank you".
That was what the "bump, bump" was for, wasn't it?

Cheers!

#11 ·
Yes, it's kept me awake since Marc last year

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.