SlotForum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,052 Posts
All this talk of track flexibility in the banking thread reminds me of something.

Would somebody like to guess the minimum quantity of Scalextric SPORT straights that are required to be linked together in one length to enable a 360 degree circular working circuit if you wished to design a complete circuit using just straight track?

Scalextric had to do this excercise on their factory floor when creating the algorithm for the RMS and SPORT World circuit design link up functions. The software design team asked the question so the top men and ladies at Hornby strut their stuff and built the circuit on the factory floor!

Moped

· Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its just a bit of fun and it happened a few years back.

You don't think that I would be silly enough to mention it if it only happened yesterday! Ebay is not going to be flooded with straight SPORT track as has been intimated so sorry if I have built up the hopes of those who are looking for a largish quantity of straight track! Best to contact your local retailer and talk about a discount for the sort of quantity we are talking about!

And some of you should try this at home with say 10 straights. The figures mentioned so far need to be re-examined to say the least!

Moped

· Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The number of guestimates to my little conundrum seems to have run out of steam.

Just to remind you, you had to guess the minimum number of Scalextric SPORT straights required to form a working circuit built purely out of straight track that formed a 360 degree circular track meeting at the start/finish line.

And the answer is.....

....I'll tell you tomorrow!

Another clue though.

The radius of the circle formed was between 120 and 130 ft!

Moped

· Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
The answer is (as some folk have now speculated) 680.

Is anybody going to try and repeat this excercise?

Just out of interest Hornby probably had to carry out many weird and wonderful practical excercises during the development of RMS and SPORT World. And of course they have now developed banked track which has to have a software algorithm conversion.

Would anybody here care to speculate on some of the excercises undertaken?

Think bridge for example...

And the reliability test with a car doing 3.1m laps may have a significance far more reaching than any of you dare imagine! Only Hornby know of course.

Moped

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.