SlotForum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

· Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The number of guestimates to my little conundrum seems to have run out of steam.

Just to remind you, you had to guess the minimum number of Scalextric SPORT straights required to form a working circuit built purely out of straight track that formed a 360 degree circular track meeting at the start/finish line.

And the answer is.....

....I'll tell you tomorrow!

Another clue though.

The radius of the circle formed was between 120 and 130 ft!

Moped

· Registered
350 Posts
Actually Fergy your edits on your earlier post are not 'marked'!

I think based on Mopes last clue, you are pretty close on the 680 number, which you probably came about using basic geometry as did I.

c = 2<pi>r

n = c/l

c is circumference, r is radius (given by Mope), <pi> = 3.1415....

n is the number of pieces, l is the length of a standard scaley straight at .35m

taking the median of mopes clue gives you 684 pieces (rounding up)

these type of mope insights behind margate's walls and his love of trains as well as slots, plus reams of other circumstantial evidence once documented by me on SCI well over a year ago have me convinced Mr. Moped Rider is on the payroll at Hornby in some capacity....

I am guessing product development/engineering/quality control or some such thing...

So Mope or anyone else in the know... are we in the presense of a covert operator picking our brains on behalf of Hornby PLC or am I just being PARANOID?!

hmm... Ken R

· Brian Ferguson
4,318 Posts
QUOTE Actually Fergy your edits on your earlier post are not 'marked'!

Not conventionally... hence the little notation in brackets.

Actually, I had 680 there before Mope posted his radius clue! But yes, I did the same math as you a bit earlier..... so if he comes up with a number that differs greatly, we'll know he's scamming us!

· Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
The answer is (as some folk have now speculated) 680.

Is anybody going to try and repeat this excercise?

Just out of interest Hornby probably had to carry out many weird and wonderful practical excercises during the development of RMS and SPORT World. And of course they have now developed banked track which has to have a software algorithm conversion.

Would anybody here care to speculate on some of the excercises undertaken?

Think bridge for example...

And the reliability test with a car doing 3.1m laps may have a significance far more reaching than any of you dare imagine! Only Hornby know of course.

Moped

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.