SlotForum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
I'm not a digital officienado, but it doesn't float my boat. But I'd suggest you invest in some R3 and R4 corners and mix things up a bit.

And I'm guessing the digital guys will say ditch the hairpins. or at least some of them.

Hank Scorpio (where is he now) started a thread with interesting corner layouts that may be worth reading. Show me your curves. As it is your track is going to be very easy with all the corners even and easy. If you mix things up a little you'll find it much more challenging and therefore more interesting.

Embs

·
Digital Guru
11,201 Posts
hi
also far to many parallel straights,this will quickly become boring to drive.

As ember mentions you need a mix of radii to make more realistic corners.

Also as its digital you may end up running pace cars and that means no side swipe sections or X overs as they lead to unwanted pile ups...

If you could post what space you have sometimes someone will put up a design for you using trackmate or one of the other track designers..

Best of luck with your build....

·
1 hp Trabant is not my real car
770 Posts
My suggestion is that the track is too geometric. As others have said, a variation in corner radii makes for more interest - your top R/H R2/staight/R2 is crying out to be a long sweeping R4.

It is not always best to put as much track as possible in the space available, especially if section you are coming to drives identically to the one you just left.

Here is a picture of my track (I hope, if I have not forgotten how to post pics) which is almost identical in basic concept to the one you have, but has lots of curve variations (and too many hairpins for some folks liking - but I like them and they are essential to fit the track I want in the space I have).

My track is analogue, but I don't see that as a factor here.

Hope this helps,
Cheers,
Tom.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Sorry, way too many R1's and parallel straights as already said. You seem to have a decent area to work with so try to be more expansive. Tell me to mind my own business if you like, but I just knocked this track up on TrackPower, it took about ten minutes or so and I think it would be good in digital form. Note that the direction is clockwise, plenty of room for borders, scenery and even a few pit lane buildings and it should, most importantly, be fun to drive!

Hope that helps,

Dave

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
This last one is getting there. However with digital there must be AT LEAST 1 straight track before the sensors of the Lane changers. The cars need to be almost straight before the sensor can see the car and activate a lane change. Looks like that is not too much of an issue on this track except for the pit lane, you may have to shorten it ;-(. The Curved lane changer may be better out to in but that may just be personal preference. I personally am a devotee of hairpins but even I think you have a few too many. Start the curve at the botton Left immediately after the powerbase with an R2 and try something like R2,R3,R3,R3 then connect up with R2' to only a 2 R1 bend before the LC (in its current position which you have to move) .

·
Digital Guru
11,201 Posts
hi
the latest deign is much better.

the placement of the xlc is less critical when racing with magnets,i had a xlc after a R2 hairpin in my old layout and never had a missed lc,though that is with a clean track and tyres and with fuel load enabled..

It must also be said that i do not like drifting as it is not a racing stlye,it's a slower stlye and one for the show off's,throttle control is what it's all about.

·
Greg Gaub
15,412 Posts
I agree that the most recent idea has a lot of improvements. With some more tweaking, namely leading into R1 turns with R2 or wider, except maybe on or two spots, and shifting the lane changers as necessary, I think it will be a great track. Oh, be sure to use 45 degree R2 turns rather than so many 22.5 degree R2 consecutively. You'll save a LOT of money. Only use the 22.5 degree pieces of R2 when you can't use a 45.

I especially like the turn combination in the very top left corner of the design. That should be a good one, especially magless.

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
Definitely much better. Of course, the only real way to know if you like it or not is to drive it.

The space that you've got is about the same as my track. I'm only running 14m of Scaley track in an area of 3.2m x 1.5m. Running analogue so I've got a flyover to keep some evenness to it, but with digital provided you've got about the same amount of left and right corners the track length isn't of great concern.

So, if you can, put that layout together on the floor or a bench and take it for a spin. You'll soon find out what works and what doesn't.

Embs

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I agree with Ember, you can never tell a track until you've driven it. That way you can tweak until you have it just right. Before committing to my track I also attended a few clubs to see what aspects of those tracks I liked and what I definitely didn't want.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts