SlotForum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Circuit Owner
5,925 Posts
Reading some recent topics there seems to be a great deal of interest in helping Hornby keep Scalextric alive and kicking. Cars we would like to buy and how to encourage more people into our hobby (which can only be good for Hornby's bottom line.

All the focus seems to be on the cars.

However somebody pointed out that Hornby have dropped 4 track pieces from the digital range and not brought out any new ones.

Shall we help out?

Here's my starter for 10...

Back in my youth I had an Aurora AFX set with the old magnatraction cars (pancake motors) not the newer in-line G-Force cars. I remember that putting circuits together was a bit of a pain because the track pieces were quite limited and getting the ends of the track to meet up without putting too much strain on the quite brittle plastic track sections was a challenge.

Then - wonder of wonders - out came this funky flexible track. As you can see from the image below it was 36 inches long and very, very bendy. Suddenly circuits became very easy to build and very exciting to race on (I had 3 of these flexitracks).

Sadly the track was too smooth for the G-Force cars and the magnets were too strong meaning the cars got to the flexitrack and stopped with their wheels spinning and Aurora dropped the track. All they needed to do was make the track surface a little grippier.

The flex of the rails was achieved by using a very long, very tightly wound spring which was pressed into a half round channel in the track. The Aurora pickups are metal shoes rather than braids but I am sure braids would work on this arrangement as long as the wire of the spring was round section.

A flexible track like this would make it SO MUCH EASIER for rug racers to set up tracks - more time for racing and less for potching about trying to get a new track built.

So how about it Mr Hornby (or Mr Carrera or Mr Ninco)?

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Nice idear for a thread

How about these for us digital races

also a LeMans start would be nice

Could be done as a set with a coulpe of cars as well would make it an easy present for people to buy someone

Michael

·
Registered
142 Posts
As mainly a single racer I would quite like to see the rally loop be re released for the scalextric sport track.

Wow! that racing line style chicane looks awesome is it one you created yourself? Details if possible please Michael?

Flexible track would be a great idea too but would need flexible borders, or made wide enough not to warrant them. Also might grip might be compromised by the holes?

·
Circuit Owner
5,925 Posts
QUOTE (witness @ 29 Jan 2012, 18:06) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>As mainly a single racer I would quite like to see the rally loop be re released for the scalextric sport track.

Flexible track would be a great idea too but would need flexible borders, or made wide enough not to warrant them. Also might grip might be compromised by the holes?

I second the rally loop!

Yes the grip on the flexitrack would be compromised but all you would need to do is adjust your driving style! Borders would be an issue of course unless the track was made a little wider and the grip levels improved - maybe a rubber surface at the edges would help?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
The Scalextric track system needs the EVIL skid-chicane back !!!

I am surprised, even worried, to hear Scalextric are to stop making curved lane-changers.
I don't do digital, BUT if I did, I would choose to use curvy-changers more than people seem to.
To me they have better flow & not the 'swoosh-swoosh' type movement reminisent of the old Classic X-overs.
The Sport curved X-overs, are a great improvement on the old Classic, straight ones IMO.

This has to be a cost-cutting exercise by Scalextric, who seem to think these parts won't be missed.
They have a long way to go before their track system offers the very poor variety of parts that Carrera manufacture.
But I can't see Scalextric realisticaly manufacturing ANY new track parts, if their policy is to limit their users choices.

Oh well, I can always score an old skid-chicane on eBay, or just get some straight lane-changers.

Cheers

Si.

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
They have tight squeeze R1 corners, how about the same for R2/R3/R4 corners?

Or, how about 3 lane pieces? The track wouldn't have to be wider, but simply add another lane to it. Would make a huge difference to small tracks where current 3 or 4 lane is a no go due to space.

Longer straight lane changers similar to the ones carrera or ninco make where the lane chance is at a smooth angle and not the current scaley one which taken at full speed means a certain deslot.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I'd like a rally loop as well and some of the chicane straights and curves would be a welcome addition. I know SCX still do super sliding R1 and R2s, but the chicane straight seems to of totally disappeared.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Si... just noticed your post "I am surprised, even worried, to hear Scalextric are to stop making curved lane-changers."

Can anyone confirm if this is true? Have hornby gone nuts?? After all the time and money that has gone into the C7042 APB are they now scaling back their digital side?

Lets face it, they no longer make purely digital cars which means that the digital customer now has to buy a plug when they get a new car which is another £12 or so. And now they are pulling out track options too! grrrrr this makes me wanna....

oh... sorry for the rant and for hijacking the discussion.

Sandsmin

·
Circuit Owner
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think one of the issues is that curved lane changers and analogue mode on the APB have compatibility problems - the curved lane change connects both lanes electrically so you can only run one car at a time on analogue.

Mind you there is a modification on SlotForum that solves the problem - wouldn't it have been a better option to adjust the tooling than dropping the track pieces?

Anyway - here's an idea Mr Hornby - why not an omnidirectional curved lane changer - one like the straight lane changer but with 4 flippers and 4 sensors. Oh and while you're at it make the straight lane changer a 4 flipper affair. This would reduce the dreaded tooling costs and would allow us to run our tracks in either direction (the lane changers are the ONLY THING stopping us doing it right now seeing as the power is AC).

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
It seems that most of the suggestions (except the pure digital ones) are to bring back versions of the previous analogue track. Am I right?

From what I have been told, the CLCs are not selling well. I can vouch for this... I bought a C7010 last summer and it still had a loose exit flipper. Now how long has that been in stock?

The observation that to fix the CLC all one needs to do at the factory is either cut the errant lane connections or start inserting a retooled lane power ribbon. After all, they learned about the dimple and started using that didn't they?

Keep up the great ideas...
Cheers!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts