SlotForum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
1,694 Posts
if wanting to run a windows based program on Mac would you say Parallels is the best way? I am wondering what to do when my track is all up and running what RMS to use and also toying with what windows to run. Do they all run on windows 10 now
VMWare is the industry standard software for running Virtual Machines (VMs), and I believe it's available for Macs too, there is also Parallels as you mention and Oracle Virtualbox as well.

They've run Windows10 for many years as long as you can find an 'image' or have the install media and license key.

Be careful what you try to do though on a VM, if it's word processing or track design software then no problem, internet browsing fine too however if you try and start watching YT videos or try and do anything that requires some processing power then quickly you will notice latency (lag), in what you do which can render the application in question useless.

I would not recommend trying to use a VM to run a RMS such as RCS64, SSDC, or audio/video editing software etc. as the latency will kill it for you and you'll get timing problems etc.,

There is an easy enough solution for this, setup your Mac to run Bootcamp and install Windows on that, what you then have is dual-boot machine, you can select which OS you want to boot in to on startup e.g. Windows or MacOS and the OS is then running natively, no emulation so no latency. Bootcamp is fully supported by Apple and they have their own drivers for Win7/10.

I have had this setup on my Macbook Pro Retina mid 2014 for over 5 yrs now, by default I boot in to Win7, if I want MacOS I hold options key on power on and I can then select MacOS.

It's not perfect, for instance the Apple Bluetooth Win7 drivers are crappy, (you can just use a dongle if you need full Bluetooth), apart from that it all works very well.

·
Banned
1,694 Posts
Using an old PC can be a great idea however you need to consider what software you want to run and what it's requirements are.

For instance in RMS RCS64 to sort dashboards the PC needs a little grunt, older PCs will struggle with this, you can disable it but are then losing functionality, just something to be aware of...

If you already have a Mac then Bootcamp to me is the obvious way to go, MacOS and Windows native on one machine.

·
Banned
1,694 Posts
You definitely need ctrl+z for UR3 for every time it decides to change the orientation of half your track!
biggrin.png

ctrl+z can't solve all bugs though, I have green background, occasionally for no good reason it goes white, undo doesn't help, my top tip is SAVE REGULARLY and I mean REGULARLY and give them incremental names so you can easily roll-back.

·
Banned
1,694 Posts
Is anyone testing Ultimate Racer 4 (UR4)?

I have an early test version but it was pretty buggy I didn't have the time then (this was many many months ago)

It's being rewritten pretty much from the ground up and in.......wait for it.....Java !
banana.gif
banana.gif

You get JVM's for Linux/Mac/tablets....right....?
biggrin.png
biggrin.png
biggrin.png

·
Banned
1,694 Posts
UR3 has some 3D capabilities and allows you to place objects such as buildings and trees and move the camera about, it's pretty basic though but might do what you want. I added the scenery below in 5mins however haven't bothered to raise the track up so it's 3D too.

Haven't heard anything in months about the UR4 Java rewrite (will have a full 3D CAD editor), I have an earlier version for testing but it's an old release.

·
Banned
1,694 Posts
UR3 is easy to pick up, simply drag the track pieces you want to the workspace in 2D then drag over scenery etc.

Then go to 3D view and mess about with camera buttons and panning with mouse to see it in 3D. You can also create your own objects but this is a bit more complicated

It's possible to get decent results, search for track design posts from JasonB (who I think hasn't been on here in a while).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.