SlotForum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a request for advice and assistance with my 110 foot 2 lane AFX layout.

I am attempting a 2 power source setup using 2 laptop batteries, one for each lane.

I have 2 separate terminal tracks - one for "lane 1" and one for "lane 2" with the appropriate metal tabs cut on the bottom for power to the particular lane.

I have traced my wiring thoroughly however i have power for both lanes from each controller.

My basic wiring is obviously creating a problem but I cannot figure out how. When you look at the bottom of each terminal track I cannot for the life of me see how power is reaching lane 2 with the metal tabs cut.

Please go easy on me with your responses - I fear I am in for a rough time :)

thanks in advance for your time and thoughts,

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
here is a photo of the bottom. Please note that the black electrical tape is not allowing the metal tab to touch that lane. We have actually tested the track with it not even on the table, the tab floating free and we still have power to both lanes.
Light Wood Font Metal Door

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am not sure I follow. By feeder i assume you mean the tab running from the power plug terminal.

I am anxious to snip them, please help me to snip the right ones!

thanks !

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I may be able to help with words.
In the photo you will see both terminal tracks.
Call the top one A and the lower track B.

You see in photo track A has a controller strip to inside rail and power strip to outside rail. Note that the strip to outside rail in no way touches the lane it jumps over. In addition that strip is not snipped it is just insulated with the tape.

You also see in photo with track B the controller strip to the inside rail and the power strip to the outside rail.

Hope this helps,

thanks again for the feedback

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good info and much appreciated. The diagram utilizes a bus board setup. Many others have successfully done what i am attempting with the two terminal tracks. I know the bus board is a cleaner setup, one that I will likely go to once layout is more complete.

In one post above it is mentioned that "both common shunts need to be snipped". What exactly does that mean?

If I am only a snip away from it working I will go that route to get things moving.

thanks guys, appreciate it very much.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I will begin trouble shooting.

two things to confirm for discussion

1) i am using AFX track, speed lock to be exact
2) i have tested this with the track off the table, meaning the bottom of the track is not on the table, the tab completely separated, not touching in any way shape or form, and still power to both. My original thought was that when the track was pressed down onto table it was pressing the tab down onto the underside of the rail. So i then tried my experiment with actually looking at it from below to confirm whether it was touching. Thats when i went to you guys as I just was at wits end knowing it wasnt touching the other lane.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Sorry for delay, working through the first scenario.

The first one isolated power correctly.

lane one powered only lane one
lane two only powered lane two

however lane one was powering the car backwards.

Two steps forward, one step back.

Again, your patience is a virtue gentlemen!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Also during all this i looked for another 15 inch terminal track which i thought i had.
I have one and it has not been altered. If needed I could work with that one if we wanted to.

Jana enjoyed your support! As a nurse manager of 60 nurses right now she might enjoy the change of pace!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
In the end both lanes still power each other. So I'm thinking i try using the terminal track that I have and make the snips recommended above.

Before i do that I just want to confirm: On the cuts that cbwho notes in his photo - in essence those would be the cuts to be made for the top track in my photo and leave the bottom track alone?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I removed the top 15 inch section and replaced it with a 15 inch non terminal track.

the inside lane is powered, by itself. As soon as i put the car on the track it is powered even with no controller trigger pulled. If i pull the controller out of the socket the car is not powered.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Ok so when i use a different controller the automatic power situation stops.
So in essence that controller is "completing the circuit" i believe. I will stop using that one as we proceed.
If we're all down for it how about i snip the last terminal track I have to match the diagram drawing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
OK, so here it is currently.
With both original terminal tracks in, with no adjustments:
15 inch track powers the lane closest to plug in and does not power the other lane.

the 9 inch track powers the outside lane only (not the one closest to plug in)
this is done when i move the good controller over from 15 inch track.

Looking for another controller (other than the questionable one) to test both at same time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Gentlemen,

I want to thank you so much for your patience and all the insight. At this point it appears that a controller may have been the issue although I am not really sure how.

In the end, without making any changes to the original two terminal tracks I now have power to each individual lane. The controller in question was removed from the equation and another controller is now in the mix.

I'm sure we are all done with this so I will not belabor the point in asking why or how.

Thank you again for all the help. You have no idea how long and frustrating this has been and you really saved the day.

I hope to join you in the future as I am so glad to have connected with you and SlotForum.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Bob,
I am intrigued with your controller suggestion. I assume you have used many controllers over the years so I am interested in how / why you are sold on this particular one.

thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts