SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Just got done with one end of my table. I have more trees to plant, but had to take a break to post these. The curbing is N-scale corkand the cars actually hit it as they round the curves. Lot's of fun! Looks cool too.

The track doesn't look too good in the photos color-wise, as I'm playing with lighting and this camera...not happy with it yet. The color is actually much better.

I'm going to finish up all of the outside edges of the table and then work on the pit area/buildings. I'm going to make both lanes have a functional pit lane. Soooo, a little planning is going on there. Should be a fun little challenge. I'm following Thomas Weiner's method (I think it was his!) It is all in German, so I translated it with my knowledge of the language and Babelfish. I don't think it is going to be as hard as I first thought.

I'll post more as it's done.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
The pics look great!
However, as a road engineer/technologist, I am very disturbed to see those bloody great cracks all over the surface! One good hard, or even wet, winter and you are going to need a complete and very expensive resurfacing job. Those cracks should be filled with hot polymer modified bitumen incorporating SBS (Styrene Butadiene Styrene) on the very first suitably dry day!
Prompt remedial action will save your tax payers' money in the long run!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Thanks guys!

Tropi - glad to hear you are an expert! Now, when can I expect you to show up and get that job done! If you hurry, and bring your favorite car, you might have time to race after you're done!

Nuro - Wannabes? This only took 3 hours of time, you've got that, right? Just dive in!!!

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Hey, hey! Funny we've arrived at the same place, my old HO friend!

Looking VERY good indeed!! Looking forward to seeing future progress!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fergy(Brian) - Nice to see you again, Sir! This is all your fault...if you hadn't started routing a nice modular course, I might not have looked so hard at 1/32. Just kidding, I was a sucker for the detailed cars! Glad to have seen you here as well.

As for more to come, I'm not sure this will ever be done. I kind of feel like a model RR guy...you know, layout always needs "something".

Won't be anymore work this weekend though, the track manager has me remodeling the laundry room. New cabinets, paint, counter, etc. I told her that the laundry didn't mind the way it currently looks, but that just bought me the "look". So, I'm happily working on it

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Really beautiful !

Seeing such results will encourage most of us to do the same. But I think it is restricted to those who have their track on a table, mine is on the floor

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
QUOTE I'm not sure this will ever be done. I kind of feel like a model RR guy...you know, layout always needs "something".

That is how I will approach my next track. Sometimes it's even MORE fun to work on the track details than it is to run some laps - it's like having two hobbies and your current mood dictates which one you choose.

QUOTE I told her that the laundry didn't mind the way it currently looks, but that just bought me the "look".

Very familiar with the "look"! We need a smilie here with nails coming out of the eyes!

·
Registered
58 Posts
QUOTE (Fergy @ 22 Dec 2003, 01:20 PM)That is how I will approach my next track. Sometimes it's even MORE fun to work on the track details than it is to run some laps - it's like having two hobbies and your current mood dictates which one you choose.
Hey Fergy, how big do you plan on making your 1/32 track? I like your ideas on your website regarding the switches.

I'm just 45 minutes north of you in Lisle.

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Hi, Joe! I have no definite size yet - we are looking for another house right now, a bungalow with a huge basement.
Hopefully, though, I will end up with something around 600 sq ft for the track - reasonable if we get a 1600 to 1800 sq ft house - about 1/3 of the basement. I may end up even closer to you - we are looking in the Shelburne area!

I checked your link in the last post!
How much space do you have!? A lap on that would be measured in minutes!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Great work there David.

Hey Fergy, are you near Dan Crowley? or do you hear from him?

I am a former N-scale RR'der and bought some of his stuff, but I hear he has given up his slots for trains again.

Just wondering what ever happened to the 'ol ORS guys.

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Hi skidmarks! Dan is in Alberta and I'm in Ontario, so there's a slight gap of about 2,500 km between us.

I haven't talked to him recently, but last he said was that yes, he was going back to RR but might do a double tiered thing with trains on a high table and slots on a low table underneath! Chris Moellering, Dan, and myself were core members of ORS, so when the three of us departed it just kinda fell into oblivion. Shame really, because it was a lot of fun - and I met some great people in the hobby because of it.

Your username has me stumped - were you in ORS?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I was in ORS as BR Racing.

It was great fun, too bad it ended. It would be nice to try something like that again, if just a limited number of events.

Great to find you again.

Patrick

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My son and I participated in ORS a few times in the HO world. Didn't do really all that well, but had a ton of fun! I'd love to do that again.

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Patrick! Of course, Hi once again!

Small world.... 3 ORS guys on here! Hey, it MUST be a good board to attract the likes of us!

·
Registered
58 Posts
QUOTE (Fergy @ 22 Dec 2003, 03:26 PM)I may end up even closer to you - we are looking in the Shelburne area!

I checked your link in the last post!
How much space do you have!? A lap on that would be measured in minutes!

Shelburne would only be about 20 - 25 mins. away.
The track will be in the garage. When not in use, hoisted to the ceiling in modules.

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Joe, I'll keep you informed of where we go. With Christmas over, the housing market should start picking up in the next month or so. And I'm getting very itchy router and trigger fingers!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
QUOTE (Fergy @ 27 Dec 2003, 07:24 PM)Joe, I'll keep you informed of where we go. With Christmas over, the housing market should start picking up in the next month or so. And I'm getting very itchy router and trigger fingers!!

Fergy,
I know it's a bit O/T, and I'm not sure what you're looking for in a new home, but there are new homes going up in my area and south of me just north of Everett. Send me an email if you want me to get the phone #'s of the builders in my area. I know the properties are 1/2 acre and up. And bungelows.
Joe

1 - 20 of 23 Posts