SlotForum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I've got Scaley and nearly swapped over to Carrera to support the possibility of modeling 1/24s and racing them.

What would a manufacturer have to do to make you swap to their track and ebay your own? I've gotten these sort of answers from other racers:

-multi cars per lane with lap/timing tracking

-The above without great pains to support their current car collections

-Realistic racing w/lane changing and pitting recognized in-game support

-The above while supporting my current fav controller

-Above with better pricing

-Better customer focus/listening

-Better, integrated accessories

-Support for multiple scales and motorcycles

...Or will it simply NEVER be worth it?

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I'd swap if someone gave me a free routed, wooden layout!! Especially if that layout had digital on it! I know our frineds in Australia have been working on a pit area for a routed track, complete with solenoid operated "points" for driving in and out of the pits

I was recently given a load of Polistil track (hard plastic, not too different to Carrera, still wider than Scalextric). It's only got standard straights and same-radius curves in it , but I'm going to make it into a layout in my attic

Mark.

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
QUOTE I know our frineds in Australia have been working on a pit area for a routed track, complete with solenoid operated "points" for driving in and out of the pits

Canada, too...

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow! That working pits bit seems to be quite desirable. I would imagine that this is more desirable than internet-based racing, but who am I to say.

I've got a bunch of scaley classic which may have to go if somebody comes up with a better system...including the SPORT offering...though I know there there is some compatibility there.

That old 3-lane strombecker track was pretty unique. I've seen it around. The lane spacing looks good too.

I'g glad you guys replied to a noobi like me. I hope we hear from others.

There is some guy in Australia considering mass-producing his track system which, on paper at least, has most of the features the scaley/Carrera has...but according to him..."more".

-Maltese

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Great stuff! Come on you pair tell us all you know.

I am very interested in getting the shape correct with enough of a gap to fit a proper pit wall (my nice SRA design to be precise). So the old Scalextric version shape will not do the job. Thomas looks like you have cracked it

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Jonny, this is fun stuff and so easy in wood. Doing it in plastic requires (as per the instructions on Thomas' site), a lot of careful cutting and fitting just to make the track pieces, let alone the switches!

Wait... Jonny... you have a big membership... gotta be someone there you can delegate this to...

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
To be fair we cover nearly evry trade going except a `chippy`. Got our own very medieval sub culture going here .A fixes B`s car and C re wires A`s house then D paints F`s house and G fits new boiler to....

I`m keeping my eye on Yves as he is quiet right now it must mean he is very busy with that new routed track with working pit lane.

As for me,well I must say that I am happy to consider all options. The build of the second Phoenix circuit is put off til Summer. Just as well as I don`t know what to choose, Routed, Davic Digital , SCX rally track etc etc. We don`t want another Ninco circuit because we want variety. I am very tempted with the davic system because a big membership means I have to keep a lot of people happy

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Nothing quite like the old barter system, Jonny!

I'm glad I can't actually start building right now because I'm also waiting to see how the whole digital thing shakes out. I've got a prototype pit switch working that could easily be adapted for a lane change mechanism. It's just the specifics of the brand implementation that I am unsure of. Hopefully, that will all be very clear in the next 9 months or so!

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
These are the best and busiest days of my life...and I`ve already had a very busy and varied life so that`s saying something! It also says something about the massive choice that we have that I am stuck in my tracks and completeely undecided as to my next choice. Fair play as it seems there is now something for every one and I thought that the Scalextric fuel tank was a major step forward....pheww

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
I hear you. I could have built the track I have been planning at any point in the last 30 years and it would not have been any different (even the pit switching is not new technology). Suddenly though, we have options to consider that were only dreams a couple of years ago. It would be foolish to build a new track now (especially routed) without seeing how the new systems emerge, and getting a feel for how they will affect the future (if they do). I hate "wait and see" games, but I don't want to commit to a large mistake either!

·
Registered
715 Posts
So is this to say that if you have a Ninco system and Carrera came out with a system that whipped the pants off of them you would be willing either two swap over to Carrera OR at least add Carrera to your lineup?

I suppose some shops would want to have both in the house. But what if one system could handle ALL brands with features mentioned at the beginning of the post?

I suppose also that those with a low-medium level of investment in track stuff would consider swapping over, but those with classic/other brand cars should not feel that they should be stuck with one brand of track, eh?

...By the way Thomas... Thanks for the solenoid info. I needed that!!

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Maltese mate, yes as far as a home circuit is concerned I`d swap to a superior system. Right now for my home circuit I believe Sport Digital will give me what I want.

The club circuits are certainly a more exspensive issue and I need the lads and me to make the right choice. I am fortunate in that space is not a problem . My gut feeling is that Davic is the answer because it can provide for six lanes and a high number of cars. Lane changing on straights and curves is important to me as well as a working puit lane.

Interestingly I was talking to a fairly newish club member last night about track types. He came up with an idea stolen from our R/C comrades...multi surface! Why not have a number of brands and routed track in different stages with different surfaces? It`s workableI suppose. So far he has mixed Ninco, Scalextric classic and SCX and Scalextric Sport I believe

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
jonny, I had it at one time and one guy on another said forum has carrera bends with copper tape strights!!!

I would VERY happily exchange our sport track for a nice routed track with poly layed on it and copper tape, hear me guys!!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
QUOTE (jonny s @ 18 Mar 2004, 00:36)So far he has mixed Ninco, Scalextric classic and SCX and Scalextric Sport I believe

Yes, Jonny, that should be quite easy to do because adapters are available (Sport to classic, Ninco to Sport I think and SCX=scaley classic.

Get looking in your attics, Now!

Mark.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Intergrali,

Sorry to hear about the work situation. I sure hope it gets sorted out for you. Maybe you'll be moving into new areas of business. Best wishes.

Johnny S,

I know what you mean about the expense. I really am not comfortable with the seeming disconnect between manufacturers and the customer. We should take control instead of hoping the companies do what we wish.

I also feel that things are getting entirely too expensive. 40 euros for fly cars, 120 euro lap timers, 2000-3000 euro lane change and lap timer systems, proprietary digital systems. There should be a smaller, more flexible player with an eye on what we want in addition to the bean counters. I can't see why these things should cost so much other than that we tend to pay for whatever they put out.

I want change. Even if it means swapping to a company who has the entire hobbby and its customers new and old better in mind.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts