SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

So, we have decided to redo our track here. It will be cnc routed scorpious digital. Comments on the plans?

We liked the tight technical bits we had in our old mini suzuka and wanted to keep them.

The overall size is 16' * 5'. The track will be using braid. The lane size is 8".

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only reason is there is no real need for them as I can put lane changers where ever I want. With the plastic ones I had the odd guide blade smack the centre.

I am thinking of adding another lane changer at the bottom left corner going outside lane to inside.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Picked up my magnatraction braid yesterday from Ogilvie's. Brian happened to be in town for a function and was nice enough to bring it for me.

So, what do I put it down with? I know from racing at Race World in Toronto that Ogilvies uses nails to hold the braid down, but do you also glue it?

Track will be routed this week. I am going to go in and take pictures of the process for everyone to see

Meeting with the guys I race with tomorrow night to see if there are going to be any changes to the layout and see which one wins.

I have stripped all the lane changes and wiring from the old track and will remove it from the table this week.

Garage will finished be insulated this week as well. All that will remain is to mount the furnace in the garage. I picked up a propane heater from Princess Auto and will be adding a thermostat to the garage so that we can keep the area 21 on the days that we race.

Once I have cleaned the garage up of bikes/wheels/parts I will take some photos to post here. The poor thing looks like a bomb exploded in there. That is what happens when you get home from the last Canada Cup race of the year and don't even wash or put away any of your bikes.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
final version of the track was decided on.

Here it is.

Routing will have to wait until the weekend as my buddy is getting some samples of a type of MDF that has plastics in it. He says it handles weather better.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sunday I upgraded my powerbase from Scalextric Digital Master/Slave combo to Scalextric Digital Robot Power. Also added in Riko's third lane sensing for the pits to count laps. I might still need to use the second power base just to tell which cars are pitting. Going to check with Riko and the boys on that one.

This weekend was a holiday weekend here so I doubt my track got routed as most families frown when you skip out on them to go make a slot car track.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, that was a long holiday.

Just got the best christmas present I could think of.

The place that was routing my track just called. They finished it about an hour ago.

Hopefully we will be able to pick it up tonight after dinner. My buddy did take photos of one of the 4*8 sheets being routed. Once I get it home I need move a washer and dryer out of the way (payment for routing the track) and I will be able to get it flat on some tables and get priming. I am going to also route in some elevation changes and try and bank most of the corners even if it is only a degree or two.

I will be back from all the xmas running around on the 28th so should get lots of progress done after that.

Happy holidays all. Hopefully I can upload some pictures of the routing tomorrow.

Steve

·
Registered
221 Posts
Nice to see your new track Steve!

had the pleasure of racing with you once or twice at Raceworld, sorry I never got to see your old track. I've moved to Vancouver Island, so it may be a while till I get to race with you again!

Anyway, you asked about laying the braid down ..... double sided tape seems to be the new way to go .... search here ..... http://www.slotcarcorner.com/ ..... they sell the stuff. The old way is to use contact cement on the braid and in the recess of the mdf.

Happy Racing!
Eric.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey Eric,

I recall you talking about moving out to vancouver. Thanks for the link. I will hit them up for the tape ASAP. Hope things are great out on the island.

If you make it back to the TO region let me know and we can race on my scorpious track

Merry Christmas all.

Steve

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.