SlotForum banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Hey all,

Quick question. Do you think I should use epoxy paint for the track or standard paint. The only metal chassis that we will be using will be for our 1/24 scale JGTC class and our Porsche Cup class. All the rest will be plastic.

I will post some photos tonight as I have cut the track into modules and and just heading out to get the primer to prime all the boards. I have finished all the under cutting and cleaning of all the slots.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
So I was at the home depot looking at their epoxy paint when my wife shows me a kit to epoxy over any paint of your choice. It is from Rust-oleum http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=205

So I got the road colour I wanted and the epoxy for the final coat to make sure that the metal cars do not damage the track.

I have primed 2 panels of the track.

Photos later tonight or tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
So, I still need to take photos of the different modules as they are sliced up but here are some pictures of one section that is complete except for the epoxy top coating.

Two JGTC cars in the corner.

Coming out of the corner and heading for corner 2.

A slightly blurry top view.

Top view heading to lane changer.

And finally the drivers view heading to corner 1.

Here is a picture of a set of the pit modules.

I really like laying braid. It is a lot easier then copper tape in my opinion.

Comments?

Thanks for looking.

·
Bill
2,888 Posts
QUOTE (alexands @ 6 Jan 2009, 03:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I really like laying braid. It is a lot easier then copper tape in my opinion.First of all, thanks for the photos of the CNC routing process--had never seen one. The track looks great. And, I wholeheartedly agree with you about laying braid over copper. Braid is so much better in so many ways except price...

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thanks for the comments.

The lane changers. For the majority of them I am using the guts from Scalextric ones with flippers routed on the same machine that you see in the photos except using 3/8" thick aluminum.

For the remainder of the flippers that I already didn't have the hardware for, Moon over in the scalextric digital section designed his own flipper sensor and relay so I will be copying his design for use in the pits etc.

After laying the braid in the pit section I found out that the guide blade on my 1/24 scale cars is too long to make the turn in the pits so that section will be routed Tuesday which will reduce me to 4 pits but that is fine with me. The idea with the pits is just to allow multiple cars to be in the pits at the same time and not for each car to have its own bay. That is mostly due to the fact that Injectorman has plans that we can run 16 cars at once and there is no way I want 16 pit bays. Ok, I do, but there is no way my wife will let me take over the entire house for a slotcar track.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
so, the new pitlane and flippers were routed today. Hopefully I will get some pictures up of that.

besides that, all I have been doing is laying braid and adding barriers to each section. One giant section (4*4) left to do and I can get wiring.

but, all of that will have to wait as the wife and I are heading to warmer climates (-22c right now here) for a week.

no slotcars, no work, lots of beer. i guess it is a good trade off.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Hey Steve,

Great looking track. What software did you use to design the track? Did you do it yourself or have someone else do it for you?

Thanks,

Todd

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Hi Todd,

Thanks for the comments.

I used Adobe Illustrator. I had originally designed it in AutoCad but then found out the router that was doing the work only read AI files.

I drew up a few different tracks and then sent them around to the people I race with to get their opinions.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Cool! Thanks Steve, I guess I have to learn how to use illustrator now. You're the second guy on here that I've spoken to using it to design a track. Can't be that hard eh?

Cheers,

Todd

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Hi Minus,

I just finished grinding all the aluminum flippers to size. Going to fit a couple tomorrow.

Will post more photos once that is done.

I have spent the last week finishing the tables and making grass (not very exciting watching paint dry).

·
Registered
423 Posts
QUOTE (alexands @ 5 Feb 2009, 05:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>tossedman,

if you can use anything like photoshop you will be fine.

if you need a hand just pm me.

Thanks for the offer Alexands, I've just started playing around with Illustrator with half a mind to do a version of Suzuka as well. I really like the look of that Slotfire track. Maybe I could modify it to something that would fit in my basement. I'm hoping to build a track with Scorpius one of these days as well.

Todd

21 - 40 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.