SlotForum banner

Track Tracker Database

2K views 22 replies 6 participants last post by  MrFlippant 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Introduction

This is an attempt to take the wonderful list of tracks and turn them into a useable asset.
I have found a free online Database that looks like it is up to the task, and its free

It is not the most powerful of software, but it does the basics, and its free.
More features are being added, the one I/we will most want will be images (did I mention that its free?)

There has been, and hopefully will be, debate about the categories and classification of tracks within those categories.
I believe that a collection of all the tracks, with a good selection of searchable terms, is of more use than a partial list with comprehensive searching.

As I am working through the list I am finding more things that I think would be good to be able to search by, and other people here have suggested some ones too.
If this is the case I am then adding them, and having to go back and add the information for the tracks that have been processed already.

There are currently around 70 tracks in the database already thanks to the hard work of Ember.
This list has not been modified to the new system!
There are problems, each record is being changed; details will be shown in the post below.

If people would like to help I would love to have tracks posted below, with all the information that the Database needs to make it useful.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Tutorial

Go here to access the database:

https://grubba.net/secure/grubba_registration.php

Username: slotcar
Password: vroom

Once you have logged in you are presented with the following screen.
The icons that are of interest have been circled in red:

The Binoculars: Quick Search
  • Just for searching by Member Name
The Magnifying Glass: Search
  • Use this one for detailed searching
Paper and Magnifying Glass: Browse All Records
  • Lists all the records by Member Name

Search
Once you have clicked on the Magnifying Glass you are presented with the following screen:

Each of the searchable fields either have a box to enter text or a drop down to allow the right option to be selected.
Once the criteria has been selected the matching results are shown.

Browse All Records
Clicking the third icon takes you to this screen, a list of all the Members Names:

If you hover over the icon to the left of the Members Name a popup appears showing summary information for each track.
This allows you to see if the track is relevant without having to click on the link first.

Once you click on a name, this screen will appear:

As more things are added, this section will be expanded to incorporate them.

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Fields in the Database
If there is a * after the name of the field it means that it is searchable.
If there is text after the name it is showing the drop down options for that field.

Member*

UK / USA / Others added as I come across them

Date of First Post*

Pictures Working

Progress

Planning / Track Down / Scenery Construction / Nearly Finished / Complete

Wow Factor
Oh Yeah!

Track Name

Type of Track
Permanent / Portable / Folding / Rug Racer

Plastic or Routed
Plastic / Routed

Number of Lanes
1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6

Digital or Analogue
Digital / Analogue

Digital Brand

Comments

Thread Link

#8 ·
There are only a few options for Digital Brand, so I think that should be a chooser field rather than open. It will avoid things like scaley/scalextric/scalextrix/scalectrix/ssd/ssdc.. and so on.

Also, I think for digital tracks, the number of lanes should be set to the number of lanes at the WIDEST part of the track. For example, it a track has 2 at the line, but 3 later on, it should be three. If the track has a 4 lane start, but a 1 lane squeeze section, it should be set to 4. I suggest this only because it came to mind that someone might wonder when they get to a track that has a changing number of lanes.

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
I gave up when the server became sluggish.
I will be doing as you suggested, and send you your info tomorrow.

Give me a day to get the basics done, it's a work in progress and I would rather put stuff up and work on it rather than do it all offline then upload.

( I mean getting all this info up is a WIP. Actually adding the info to the db will always be a WIP)

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well done so far Edgley.

Re: The digital brand field. To my way of thinking it is important to have that as it is most commonly referenced on the forum. ie) SSD for Scalextric Sport Digital, SCXD, etc. Notations can be made alongside for the noobs that are uncertain.

The more things that can be drop down selection or radio button, the easier for input.

Sorry to complicate things further but should there not also be an indication of track style as in Raid, Rally, Road or Formal Race? If necessary the likes of Raid & Rally can be combined with Hill Climb thrown in for good measure as they are all usually 'against the clock' rather than 'against an opponent' style of racing.

When completely functional the details above need to be set as a sticky if they're not already. In fact, I'd be looking for them to be locked as well so that they are left as just the succinct information.

If I can be of assistance along the way yell.

Embs

#13 ·
A Raid track is an 'off road' track. A bit more than rally which can be either on sealed roads or dirt. Raid goes beyond this. Consider Dakkar.

There are a few brands of plastic track that actually make track obstacles to drive over. And, of course, almost anything can be done on a routed track.

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
Sorry. You only have an hour to edit a post.
But, an admin/moderator can edit a post for eternity. The trick is getting them to edit it for you. Your best bet is to provide them a complete copy of the post to be replaced so that they can just do a quick delete/copy/paste/save.
Taxi can't edit the tracks index, but a moderator can. I think the main problem with it, though, is the complex nature of the post. Maybe it's actually reached a post size limit?
Anyway, press on. The important thing is that the Track Tracker Database is set up properly and working.

To that end, here are my suggested names/options for the Digital Brands:

AC2Car
Artin DigiPro
Carrera Digital
Ninco Digital
Scalextric (SuperSlot) Digital
Scorpius
SCX (Scalextric) Digital
Slot.it oXigen

In parenthesis are the names of those two brands in Spain. I realize that listing them that way may cause confusion, but well... the branding itself causes confusion, and I'm pretty sure the "SCX" part will tip off anyone outside of Spain that it's not the Scalextric we know. Putting "SuperSlot" next to Scalextric will tip off any Spaniards that it's not the Scalextric THEY know. Also, I realize that putting "Digital" after the names are redundant. Maybe the same field can be used for analog track type? If it's plastic, some people might want to search by that as well.

While being aware of the slippery slope problem, I think it's better that the data set be thorough to begin with, since I know how much more tedious it is to go BACK through a database adding/changing little things. Much more tedious than the initial process of creating the database, because at least then you have a sense of creation.

On that note, I'm reminded about scale. I don't see that listed, but maybe you've already put it in. If not, I think it's a VERY important option to include. While the vast majority will be 1/32, there are a lot of great 1/24 tracks, not to mention 1/43 and 1/64 HO tracks. I'd hate to see those get lost in the shuffle when we have the opportunity to help showcase them to people looking to build a specific scale layout.

#17 ·
Oh well, thanks for letting me know.
I can always do the first posts again, properly.

I have added a load more fields, and agree that getting it right has to be done at the beginning.

I am not sure that the naming of the brands is quite right.
I am new, and it would have, and does still slightly, confuse me.

How many tracks are there from Spain?
Surly there are so few that the people whom have them know the difference, its the people outside of Spain that won't.

#18 ·
The rest of the products are the same. The problem is that Scalextric didn't claim the name (or something like that) when SCX split from them back in the day, and so SCX took the name Scalextric but only in spain. As a result, Scalextric had to pick something else, so they went with Super Slot. Spain is the only place this makes any difference, though. The question is, is this enough to try to clarify things, or can we just ignore it? Can we manipulate the search form so that a note is shown under the brand selector to tell people that Super Slot = Scalectric and Scalextric = SCX for those in Spain? That might be the best way to work that out.

#19 ·
As this has the potential to make a simple thing confusing, lets bypass the problem.
When the person entering the track information comes across the rare occurrence of a track from Spain, they just label it how it would be labelled all over the world.

That means people from outside of Spain whom might not know of the problem will still find the make that they are searching for.
And people from Spain probably know about the problem and so will search using both terms.

As, if the issues is mentioned in the notes, as it would be if I could go back and edit, people know to check both anyway.

#20 ·
I was thinking more along the lines of people in Spain looking for tracks of their same type. A Spanish person searching for "Scalextric" is actually wanting to search SCX. And if they want to see Scalextric tracks, they might wonder why "SuperSlot" is not in the choices.

But, I tend to agree that this anomaly is more an annoyance than anything else, and to just go with the terms used in the rest of the world.

#21 · (Edited by Moderator)
I just checked the Grubba site and see only 4 digital brand types listed under the Search feature. Mising are Ninco and Slot.it. Also, the Scalextric digital should be Scalextric/SSD for the novices or those who are analogue looking for digital, they may not recognize SSD right away. Also, it does not confuse with SSDC which is a software package.

Also, I know that some brands, i.e. Carrera, have developed several digital versions which, if I understand correctly, are incompatible.
Is there a way to have submenues under each brand so as newer types are developed the main menu does not change (thinking of cars with manufacturer, make, model as an example)?

Also, who will add the new tracks? Would I add my own or will you add them as administrator?

Just some suggestions to ponder.

Cheers!

EDIT: just did a sample search and found the following limitations...
1) only 3 fields can be used in a search.... selecting Plastic - SSD - Digital is very limiting.
2) However selecting SSD - 2 lane - medium size did yield results, so do NOT use redundant fields .... i.e. all SSD track is plastic and digital compatible.
3) I was not sure what the sizes mean ... small - medium - large - huge .... definitions would be appreciated
4) also need to add 1 lane for single lane rally tracks.
5) the web links may need to be checked. I clicked several, like the the following one under SSD - 2 lane, and got an error....

http://www.http://slotforum.com/forums/ind...=51728&st=0

it has http://www.http:// which will not work..... was this prefix generated or was it in Taxi's list this way?

Keep up the good work!
Cheers!

#22 ·
Sorry Sealevel. Will Correct you on your assumption that all SSD track is plastic. Some have removed the digital gubbins and embedded them in routed tracks, either as a whole plastic track piece or just the rails and flippers or flippers and electronics alone.

Embs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.