SlotForum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Brad Korando / Brad Korando
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys:

Here's the latest update on my progress with my track. I painted in "patch" panels to the paved track surface to simulate repairs made at various times. I used an airbrush with waterbased Polyscale paint to simulate traffic patterns in the racing line. I then added striping with a Testors paint pen. I am not finshed with the striping. I will add linework at the pit stalls and also paint a black and white checker board pattern at the start/finish line. I addition, I'll be going back over the track with the airbrush and a light earth color to simulate areas where the cars have been cheating the corners a bit. I suppose I'll add tire skids marks at the ends of the straights and the tighter corners to simulate where cars may have gone too deep into the corners.

Here are some pictures of the painting work to date.

Aside from the next painting steps I've mentioned above, my next milestone task is to start in on the terrain. I intend to shape it from styrofoam building insulation and plaster of Paris rock molds. I've already molded quite a few rocks and I have many more to go. So far, the casting of the rocks haas been the most tedious task. I'll be very happy when I am finished with them.

Thanks for your continued interest.

Brad

·
Brad Korando / Brad Korando
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all of the compliments guys. I think my approach to working on this layout is resulting in a consrtuction schedule that closely relates to how long it would take to build the 1:1 equivelent! I have to admit, I've been spending a lot of time running cars on nights that I should be working on the track. I'm often in amazement when I check in here and see layouts with terrific workmanship and attention to detail getting built in a fraction of the time it is taking me. You guys are great!

taxi: I'll be there with a shipping container the day you scrap that awesome track of yours! Your track and website are a constant inspiration to me. You're who I'm refering to when I reference how quick a fantastic layout can come together. I wish I had your 'drive' to complete my project. Although my pace is rather slow, I am having a great time putting the layout together.

jmswms: The painting process involved primer and paint. I have a friend that is a collision technician and also a slot car hobbiest. He suggested using a primer that his shop uses on plastic car parts before painting. The product is Sikkens Primer PO and acts as an adhesion primer. It comes in an aerosal can. I simply wiped the track clean and sprayed on the primer. I brushed on DutchBoy flat latex house paint about five minutes after sraying on the primer. I added a sand-like texture additive to the paint (from USG sheetrock company). The texture turned out more abbrasive than exepected. It was actually trueing the tires of the cars running on the track! I say was, because I lightly sanded the track to lessen the texture. I used 600 grit sand paper so that only the texture was cut down. The track surface is much better now. The grip is better than the unpainted track, but still allows cars to drift in the corners. My track has been painted for only a few weeks, but it appears that the surface is pretty durable. I don't have the actual paint color names handy, but can share them with you if you want. Just email me.

Thanks again everyone for your interest. Any suggestions or constructive criticism is certainly welcomed and appreciated.

Best Regards,
Brad

·
Registered
52 Posts
Brad
I know this thread is a little old!!! Could you give me a little more info on how you did the racing lines? Paint mixture, airbrush details-how far away did you spray from, etc.
Thanks.
Doug

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.