SlotForum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hej, I have tried searching to find an answer to this but to no avail....I hope I've missed something here, but just this evening while racing all the pace cars (5) began deslotting due to increased speed. I quickly realised that every track call caused 2-3 seconds to be added onto the lap times thus ssdc increased speed to compensate, it was impossible to complete a race if 2 trackcalls where made on the same lap....I haven't noticed this before. What have I done???? Thx in advance Mal

·
42 Yrs
2,240 Posts
Its the target lap time (for the pace cars) being set too high... SSDC thinks a car has started running slow so speeds it up on the next lap... obviously if it de-slots and you put it back in the same lane the problem is compounded... just lower the target lap time and all should be ok.

·
Greg Gaub
15,365 Posts
I agree with Sean.
The best way to use pace cars is to make sure the pace cars are significantly "better" than the car you're driving. For example, in order to have pace cars be anything more than traffic, one should drive a magless car with stock tires, and the pace cars should have at least one standard magnet and grippy tires like silicone, urethane, or super-grips. This way, you can have the pace cars making laps at YOUR fastest (in the magless car), which is well under their capability. Thus, they won't be tailing out or coming off, and when SSDC speeds them up because of the track call delay time being added onto their lap time, they'll still be able to stay on until it slows them back down again.
If you have your pace cars close to their edge of performance, then that additional speed will cause them to tail out causing higher lap times, or come off, causing another track call, and the spiral heads down fast. Having a track call every lap will make those cars keep speeding up lap after lap, so try to avoid track calls as much as possible. If you're track calling almost every lap, well... something needs to change.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hej, Thx for your replies, I do understand the theory and practicalities of using pace cars, the difference being I use (in this instance) 6 bmw Minis all standard Scaley, I drive one and sometimes rotate thro them all. The way I make it competitive is I balance the fuel burn and pit stops I have to make.....I do not always win.....This is as you say MrF causing traffic more than racers, but I do like to race all my cars and not just have separate pace and race...

However, to my main point, why after a track call does ssdc add 2-3 seconds onto the lap time. It does not matter if the track call last 2 seconds or 2 minutes (braid change etc) SSDC still adds a couple of seconds ? Why does Track call not stop the clock.? Has this always been the case, if so I really need stronger glasses....lol

thx Mal

SSDC ver 4.6.8
PBpro +SH 1.8f

·
Greg Gaub
15,365 Posts
The two seconds is the time provided to cars that might be coasting across the lap sensors as they are shut down. With magnetized minis, they'll stop on a dime, but with other cars, coasting can be quite pronounced. The two seconds is actually the length of the track call beep, but the sensors keep watching for cars during that time, just in case one crosses during the beep. Without this, cars might miss laps during a track call. The clock has to keep running during that beep, though.

What would be nice is is SSDC would ignore lap times after a track call, or maybe remove a second or two from lap times due to track calls. I don't know how SSDC 5.x and the APB manages this, though.

·
Andrew Wallace
1,100 Posts
Its an improvement opportunity

SSDC already measures the track call time for each lap, and can deduct that from the lap time to get the actual driving time. Although I think that Mr.F's suggestion to siply ignore the lap is a good one.

Given that I am quite close to releasing version 5 for the PbPro, I might make this change there. I really want to get to the stage where I am managing one code base.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@MrF. I never thought of that and it does make sense, my minis coast a little.
@Andy. I don´t understand..quote SSDC already measures the track call time for each lap, and can deduct that from the lap time to get the actual driving time.unquote I see the added time only, how does it deduct the track call time again,?

BTW......my system is working much better now, the problem with timing is not as severe now. long story cut short.

Hard disk crashed
new hard disk fitted
SSDC transfered to new HDD
Forgot to copy database from usb drive to HDD
SSDC very slow reading database via usb
now copied over to HDD VOILA huge improvement
Faster coms SSDC to PB

big thx guys Looking forward to PBPro ver 5

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.