SlotForum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
When I get back to my house this August, I am going to build a new track (if I solve some space issues).

I want to to do a routed track hence permanent with scenery (maybe based on the Portugal rally), but I have to say that my most fun driving was done with my semi-permanent tracks on top of a 5ft x 15ft table with some decoration which I would changed every few months.

I want a permanent track that has variety embedded on it to get the semi-permanent feeling. A way to do it could be with modules. The problem with this is that permanent modules with scenery are very big and difficult to storage. It is also difficult to make them compatible and at the same time diverse.

So I am going for a track with alternative paths. There are simple mechanisms to make this happen.

It would be great if you would post here ideas for this and photos if you have already done this.

To achieve a variety of paths the track has to be sufficiently big. I am thinking of a track that is 10ft x 12 ft with a hole in the middle (I am also thinking of having the track on pulleys so that I can lift it easily).

My idea at this moment is to have an outer course which is a road course (6-8inches wide) then alternative paths leading to the inside of the track. Some of the inside paths would be more extreme (I am thinking rally close to raid) with severe elevations. I would like to do this in a natural way but this will be challenging, since even a 10ft x 12 ft track would be just 96m x 115m at 1-1 scale which is not much to work with. I am aiming for 6 plus alternative paths some of them just a one car course that can then have an almost double length taking advantage of the double lanes where they exist.

Ideas here will also be great to hear.

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
Going to be fun watching you build another project, even if we have to wait months for the start.

I can remember one track which started out as routed SCXD but finished up with at least one diversion which was made by adjusting the speed and angle of approach by the car. Another fellow had been working on the concept of an automatic Pitlane using the same method. I'll have a wade through the track lists and see if I can find them.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Good luck with this project RallyP.
You'd be surprised what you can fit in that space. Take a look at my latest effort. Below on my sig. (rally track). 10' x 5' and 100' lap.
Also take a look at Doncatwalkers track. (under the bed) He is doing a modular track which can change around to create a different route.
looking forward to seeing this progress.

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
Whoohooo!
I actually managed to find what I was looking for. That never happens.

Shasta Highlands by 4.3 Zook features the drifted divergence I was talking about. Don't know whatever happened to this track, or Rice either come to that. The track was looking pretty spectacular and he drifted away. Ah well, such is life.

This one is pretty much the thread that started the experiment in drifting lane changes. He also did some experimentation on a 3 way lane change and a pitlane with automatic sorting.

Cheers
Embs

·
Registered
899 Posts
This is a Scalextric track that I built back in about 1986.

If you look just in front of the car, you'll see an imbedded section of timber. It has two slots cut in and by simply sliding it back and forth to line it up with the track slots, you could link the inner roadway up to the outer oval and make a much longer track. The track ran under the piece of scenery which was removable.

...heres one going way back.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
heyya mr p, good to see you back . hows the new job going (new york no?), hope all is well, will be watching the thread also as i´m looking for ingenious ways of connecting the 2 independant slots that go around the city also..i was thinking about some kind of electric "points"switch..anyway
cheers for now sig

·
Registered
17 Posts
QUOTE (uksqueezea @ 21 Jan 2012, 16:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>This is a Scalextric track that I built back in about 1986.

If you look just in front of the car, you'll see an imbedded section of timber. It has two slots cut in and by simply sliding it back and forth to line it up with the track slots, you could link the inner roadway up to the outer oval and make a much longer track. The track ran under the piece of scenery which was removable.

I think that's a really elegant solution. With the addtion of a small solenoid/motor, it could be done remotelyfrom anywhere on the track, or figured into a digital system. Really cool!

·
Targa Freak
936 Posts
...Maybe doing it the digital way, too. Using scorpius-wireless for example you even could go back same slot with reversingloop or use one side of the "street" for going one way, the other side back; all without any changing of polarity or any electronic gear. You could also be totaly free to choose the cars way by switching flippers on demand. Regards Jens

@uksqueezea: great scenery on old track! Like it!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Ooh, ooh i can play at this. I wasn't sure what was meant to start with, but having watched the vid I now understand.
I played around on the rally track with the power the other way and because of the start in the garage you have to do a drift to do another lap. If you get it wrong you drive back into the garage doors. Most amusing. If you do it in the other lane you end up on the start ramp.

Might have to give it a go at Milton Keynes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts