Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

As a HO and 1/32 racer over the past 15 years, I built 3 custom tracks from pre-made track, HO scale Imola-Italy, 1/32 scale Monaco,
and my current track of 9 years, 1/32 Daytona USA, tri oval and road course, with pit lane for all and you can race either direction.

That being said, in 1/32, what track would you like to build and why? Any series or custom!

ncng

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'd have to say build the barn, and then build Watkins Glen. Most road courses are hard to do because of the limitations on track, but The Glen has, to me, some of the nicest curves and elevation changes so as to make a really interesting course.
If it had to be a flat course, then the 2002 Washington DC Grand Prix course would be a good one. The course is now gone, but on Google satellite or Google Earth, you can still see the outline of it on the NE corner of the parking lot at RFK stadium.

·
Registered
993 Posts
What makes a good full size circuit and what makes a good slot racing circuit are very different. Slot racing replicas of full size circuits I've run on are disappointing as slot racing tracks.
I'd go for a good slot car track design every time, that means taking into account all the things that are needed for a good slot car track and not expecting it to replicate a full size racing circuit layout.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
I agree with post #3, even though the scale I have the most affinity with would supposedly lend itself to such a thing. In fact we have an HO club here built entirely around the concept, but there is nothing to say it produces a better racing experience.

That being said, if I was designing a track it would lift the spirit of several things you see on real tracks that are revered: Elevation changes, non constant-radius turns, corners that make you feel a sense of accomplishment when you nail them, and a layout that forces you to be good in fast and technical areas if you want to be a winner....

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
It shows it takes all sorts because I dislike squeezes and steep banking, I'd go for shallow and just enough space all the way around.

At least we agree a big oval would be cool

1 - 8 of 8 Posts