SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
It's been several weeks since I completed my scratch-built repro 1979 F1 chassis. The handling is terrific and it's great fun to drive.

Here it is with a Betta Lotus 79 shell painted and decal'd up to loosely resemble Carlos Reutemann's car:

The only problem is the old sponge tyres (dating back to the '70s) don't have much grip on my Scalextric Sport track UNLESS I use some tyre dressing. The stuff I've been using is Trinity Zip Free which is really made for RC cars but the increase in grip it gives to this slotter is astounding.

Does anyone else use tyre goop these days? If so, what do you use and to what type of track surface is it best suited?

Any suggestions/recommendations welcome...

·
Registered
420 Posts
There are so many combinations of tire goop. I believe there was a good thread on this back in the day. look under racing & tuning for a thread called lubricants. It is about three pages and i happen to find it very imformative!!!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Hi John

I do must all of my racing on my routed track..... But for tire goop I use a can of STP oil treatment and 2 tablespoons of oil of winter green mixed well... It give great traction for sponge tires on the routed track.... I have never tired it on a plastic track.....

I dont treat my track with the stuff..... it is put on the tires only and then the car is driven around the track and the tires put down a nice thin film.... this keeps the mess down and makes my scratch built cars run like magnet car on a plastic track..

Chris

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
QUOTE STP oil treatment and 2 tablespoons of oil of winter green

...the age-old secret formula of the '60s is out...

But if I'm not mistaken, this stuff damages some plastics!

I think cleaning it off of a plastic track could also be a problem. I know we've always used solvents like varsol to clean routed tracks. Not sure how you could safely clean it off plastic, especially considering all the joints.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Thanks for sounding a cautionary note there Fergy (you of all people
) but I'm hoping to run the car on wood too so Chris' recipe sounds good to me

I had a good read of your site too btw Chris - some great info in there. Wouldn't mind having a crack at one of those proxy cars next time around!

Lots of good stuff in that Lub thread too John

·
Alan Tadd
4,034 Posts
John

Why don't you contact Chas Keeling at SCD. I'm sure he can "refoam" your existing rims with new fish type thingies.

You wouldnt need to use that awful Goo then!........I still remember the smell of the stuff from the sixties. I'm sure your plastic track would thank you.

Regards

Alan

·
Alan Tadd
4,034 Posts
LOl John...They do smell horrible when you get them out the bag, but either the smell goes pretty quickly or you get used to it!...I'm never really sure.

Great car by the way.

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
376 Posts
Clean th track??????? for shame...... I haven't cleaned my track in over a year :)

But that is the truth.... Because I use so little of the stuff you dont end up with a big mess.... But I do clean my track braid from time to time....
I use CRC "Lectra-Motive" electric parts cleaner... it is used to clean starter motors and such on cars... I even use it to clean some of my older motors.. And it take the gunk of the braids very nicely..... But again I am not sure how it would effect a plastic track. But I also use it as a tire and braid cleaner too and it doesn't seem to have any effect on my bodies......

Alan... the STP is not too bad with only 2 tablespoons of the oil of winter green.. But I know what you mean.... Back in the good old days I could smell the stuff all the way out in the parking lot :)

John... the key is not overdoing the stuff.... don't let any one smear it on the track.. I have a strict rule on my track anyone caught "treating" a turn is gone for the night...... What I have is a block of wood with some of the goo on it and I just roll my tires through it.. then run the car.... The car will put it done where it needs it...

And it is not too late for the Proxy race.... True you will not make mine but we will have another race in the US and then a 4 race series in Australia and the a 3 race series in England.. and I believe one race in Switzerland..... So there is time to make some of the series....

Chris.....

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Sorry Chris, didn't mean to imply you had a dirty track.

That CRC Lectra-Motive... here comes a million questions!
I assume it's a spray? To clean the track braid, do you just spray it on like brake cleaner? Brush it with a toothbrush or anything? No problem with it attacking the braid glue?

See what happens when you mention a new product?

·
Graham Windle
4,445 Posts
when we run with goop i.e bsl rounds and proxy , we use spray goop , this consists of 2 bottes of lighter fluid to 1 bottle of stick it light , you just spray a ligt mist over and leading into the corner before the event wipe the tapes and run it in for a few laps , with todays fish rubber no other treat ment is ususaly needed and the grip is very even,

·
Registered
392 Posts
What is the oil of winter green? Any other names for other countries?

And these "goops" work on Ninco plastic track without damage?
Ciao.

·
Registered
376 Posts
<<Sorry Chris, didn't mean to imply you had a dirty track.

That CRC Lectra-Motive... here comes a million questions! I assume it's a spray? To clean the track braid, do you just spray it on like brake cleaner? Brush it with a toothbrush or anything? No problem with it attacking the braid glue?>>

Fergy

Dirty and well used
if you check my site you can really see the racing grove on the track.... took me a long time to lay down that much rubber

The CRC is a spray.. it is mostly use to clean the com on electric motors and connection...... I have use it for years to clean my old 16d motor... And it works great as a braid cleaner too....

Not is does not effect the glue on the braid... it drys in seconds... I have used it for the braids on my RTR cars I use on a friends plastic track and have seen no problems there either... But I have not tried it to clean the plastic track. but I really dont think it will hurt the track in any way.......

I normally just spray some on a rag and clean the track braid that way.....

I got mine at NAPA but most auto stores should carry it or something like it......

Chris

·
Registered
376 Posts
<<What is the oil of winter green? Any other names for other countries?
And these "goops" work on Ninco plastic track without damage?>>

Ciao.

I am not sure what it is used for exactly.... I got mine at the local drug store... According to the bottle it is a liniment you put on bruises.... I have no idea what it is called outside the US

I can't say 100%, but I dont see how they could hurt the track... I get the stuff on the undeside of my bodies all the time and it has never hurt any of the plastic on the car bodies.....

Chris

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hi

During the "dark ages" I used to buy fresh foam donuts from england, usually Charlie Fitzpatric at Betta/Classic, so I know this is available. In the U.S., Parma sells blanks in SHEETS really cheap(about 25 bucks for 50 pairs).
Fresh foam is best. However, foam starts going bad in a few weeks. So, if you dont want to constantly re-shod, what I would recommend is either taking the foam you have, and siliconing it OR having one of the US companies cast up some sillies FOR you. Silicone lasts decades, doesn't dry out, requires no maintainence and works on tracks clean and dirty without GOOP.
Siliconing a spongs: gently sand the surface down. Buy silicone black gasket sealer from your local auto supply store(in the U.S. this is Permatex 18a). Mount tire on a axle in a divice you can rotate, like a drill, and as it rotates, smear on a thick layer of the silicone. Dry under a lamp and true. It will run for decades this way!
Goop on sponge just makes a dirty track!

Fate

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Chris, thanks for the info on Lectra-Motive - I always like to add to my arsenal of handy slotting chemicals.

Speaking of which... oil of wintergreen is not available everywhere because it can be extremely poisonous. I used gallons of this stuff in the 60s and 70s and I'm still breathing (I think
) but there are bans on it in some countries. Here's a bit of info on it, just so everyone is informed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oil properties

Wintergreen oil is toxic and when taken internally can be fatal.

Origin of wintergreen oil

Wintergreen is a traditional native North American remedy, used for aches and pains and to help breathing while hunting or carrying heavy loads.

It is a small evergreen herb which grows up to 15cm (6 in) high with slender stems, leathery serrated leaves and drooping white flowers, followed by fleshy scarlet berries.

Menthyl salicylate is the principal constituent of Wintergreen and has been incorporated in liniments and ointments for muscular skeletal problems. Menthyl salicylate ingested in even small amounts may result in fatal poisoning.

Wintergreen may not be given to patients sensitive to aspirin (salicylates). Oil of Wintergreen is toxic in excess and can cause liver and kidney damage.

Extraction

Wintergreen oil is extracted from the leaves previously macerated in water by steam distillation.

Chemical composition

The main chemical components of Wintergreen oil are: menthyl salicylate and gaultherilene.

Precautions

Wintergreen oil should not be used in aromatherapy and even a small amount can be fatal when ingested.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Basically, don't drink it.
And, if you use it, keep it away from the kids! As I say, I used it for years, and would again if I had the need, but like many of the things we use, caution is advised.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Here in Italy some racers use camphor oil; also this is an oil used on athletes skin for massages
I have not tried it yet, but I am curious!
ciao

1 - 20 of 21 Posts