Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way of coating a small model standard glow light bulb so that it glows red and green?

I have tried felt tips and poster paints but neither create the desired effect.

Moped

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Hi Moped

Can't you buy these in the right colour anyway?

I was helping at a Railex exhibition on Saturday and they had all the signal colours available.

Failing that try enamel paint slightly thined out.

Better solution might be to go to LED's from Overdrive.

Good luck

Gareth

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
First gently lay a pice of green paper over the white LED then wet it slightly. Then take a hammer and hit it until it starts glowing green. If you break the first one don't worry, just try again 'til you get it right.

McLaren

·
Registered
303 Posts
Ive used Tamiya clear paints in the past for good effects, available from most model stockists and come in a wide range of colours.

Failing that if your in the UK, send me the bulbs and Ill do them for you saves you having to buy 2 pots of paint doesnt it!!!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I could go out a buy some in the right colour as suggested but I happen to have a few plain bulbs and I was wondering if there was a cheap money saving idea to colour up standard bulbs. I had overlooked the clear Tamiya paint solution and I do have some!

I also have enamel paint and thinners so I could give that a go.

What I don't want to do is obliterate the light altogether and a solution that is too wishy washy does not offer the desired effect. It is probably a trial and error situation.

Clearly there are lots of slot car aplications for the right solution.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Moped

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Mope I steal the wifes glass paint, available from arty farty shops or from my Mrs!
Using this the bulbs last longer and give a brighter glow than the other methods which I have tried and used too.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
The efficient answer is NOT to try to colour them directly at all, but to arrange a colour filter in front of them. That way, there is no need to worry about paint adhesion, changing colour (at least much more slowly) or overheating and shortening their already miserable little lives!
In addition, one can then easily replace the light source with a normal bulb when necessary, without having to consider its colour first.
If you watch a real traffic light maintenance engineer at work, I think you will find that all the bulbs are the same - no colour.

·
Nobby Berkshire
2,015 Posts
Just about any railway hobbystore will do 6v and 12v red and yellow LED bulbs. Maplin Electronics do several versions. But I think that you have to be aware of voltage and amps and mystery stuff like that otherwise they could blow, or not work very well.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Can we please note that there is a difference between bulbs and LED's, ALSO it is hard to colour LED's as they are generally made with a specific material so that they shine the desired colour.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts