SlotForum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
David Moss
461 Posts
I'm sure some of you will wonder why I bring this subject to the board, especially as some of you outside of the UK will not know who he is, but please bare with me.

Early today, legendary Radio 1 DJ John Peel died of a massive heart attack while on a working holiday in Peru.

I have spent many nights, up in the attic, working on my track with only the radio for company. The reashoring voice and ecclectic music mix of John Peel has been my only companion. This has been the case since I was just 4yrs old, after I got my first radio, and spent my nights under the bed close listening to the underground music of the day. Since then I have learnt to appreciate good music of many different sorts and not be ashamed of what I like. Tributes have already rained in from many well known bands that feel they would not be were they are today without John's help & support. These include: Blur's Damon Albarn, New Order's Peter Hook, Pulp's Jarvis Cocker, Orbital, Thom Yorke form Radiohead, Supergrass, Elbow, The Undertone's & The Super Furry Animals. Not to mention Nirvana. He has been on Radio 1 since 1967 & is there longest serving DJ.

A DJ that will play Thrash Metal to Trance to Drum & Bass to American folk music in one show is a rare & precious thing these days and I hope that those of you who know of him will agree with me that a great husband/father/legend and companion will be greatly missed by all of us. He influenced so much of my life through my musical education.

John Peel R.I.P.

BacardiBeast (Part Goth/Heavy Metaller/Punk/New Romantic/Indie Kid/Rocker - All music lover.)

·
Registered
51 Posts
An absolute one-off.
When you heard his voice, you knew what followed was never dull, and always well-informed.

He will be sadly missed.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The guy was a legend and will definitely be missed.

He'll be well pissed off that he didn't get to see liverpool win the league again!

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
The news upset me deeply. I've listened to him all my life, from Perfumed Garden to Home Truths. Like most of the tributes I've heard, it feels as if I've lost a personal friend. Never met him. Wish I had.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
I really bad because about six months I ago I told a friend "If it wasn't for Mark and Lard and John Peel there'd be no need to even have Radio 1 tuned into the radio". Shortly after the first two 'retired' and now John Peel has passed away.

The great thing about Peel's show was hearing something completely out of your normal scope of listening choice and thinking "that's absolutely brilliant".

A sad loss

Coop

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have to echo all said on here abot the Late John Peel. Like some, he carried mt through some nights at work where I was torrmented by over work and boredom of the same "cwappy" music over and over again. His music taste was always fresh and absorbing... with a deep insight and a talent for spoting upcoming groups.
He will be sadly missed.
It was a bad week for celebs passing on woth the great Emlin Hughes passing on this week to.

CoolS

·
Registered
147 Posts
A true original , totally running his own race away from the mainstream .
The smell of Bakers soldering fluid , tire goop and the sounds of Peely !

Richard

1 - 8 of 8 Posts