SlotForum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased an NSR Audi #1106IL along with a C7005 chip. Tonight I chipped the car, and it is behaving very strangely. I get a short burst of power then the car stops. After a minute of so I can get it to do the same thing again. I checked all of the connections, and everything is fine. If I use a power supply to apply power directly to the motor that works fine.

Is there a compatibility issue with the C7005 chip and the NSR motor? Should I be using the saloon chip instead? Other thoughts?

·
Greg Gaub
14,653 Posts
The NSR motor is much too powerful for a standard Scalextric chip.
If you have not already fried the chip, you will if you keep trying to run that car, or putting power to the motor (which backfeeds into the chip and burns it out).
Your options are as follows:
1) install a slot.it chip instead. It can handle more power
2) get your F1 chip upgraded by gmyers, or do it yourself if you're good with surface mount electronics. Information can be found in the SSD forum, linked in the Useful SSD links thread. Greg (gmyers) offers a service to upgrade the chips at about the cost of a replacement Scalextric chip, so even if you burn it out, it can still be rescued and made better without spending more than you would to replace it. There may be others willing to help upgrade chips for you, depending on where you are in the world. I have a gmyers chip, and it's fantastic.
3) replace the motor with one with less power, such as a Scalextric motor. This is not always possible depending on the type of motor in the car, but you might be able to get a different pod that will hold a Scalextric type motor.

You could say it's a compatibility problem, but it's not REALLY. It's just a power handling disagreement. ;-)

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
hi
it is also important to have 2 capacitors in place when using the F1 chip as they are more prone to noise/interference due to the board layout.

These should be on the pick up feet and at the motor terminals.

The behaviour you describe does indicate that it is overheating,if it burns out you can see this by looking at the silver pot,this will usually show a brown mark on it.

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
The motor should be a King Evo3 which is rated as 21k rpm. Scalextric chips can usually handle motors up to ~20k, sometimes a little bit more but it is the current draw from the motor that determines whether or not the chip will handle the motor without frying the components.

If your car has a magnet in it then I would remove it. If this doesn't improve it's drivability then you are looking at the various chip options.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts