SlotForum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondered how ppl dealt with specific handling weaknesses in their cars.

After general tyre truing greasing and oiling, cars may tend to de-slot in specific ways.

If the front comes out of its slot and the car slides away, my approach is (in this order)
1: check the braids aren't sticking down raising the car too much
2: see if the weight of the car is supported on the front tyres, raising the guide; If so, grind tyres or fit skinnies
3: consider a deeper guide blade
4: add weight or a button mag to hold the front down

If the car rolls with the back trying to overtake the front
- not really so sure. Try a wider bar magnet, lower it
- weights just in front of each of the rear wheels

I am very interested to hear what other car behaviour to look out with, and how the rest of you deal with the above and other peculiarities

cheers

Dave

·
Alan Tadd
4,039 Posts
1) Throw away the magnet (Hopefully for good!)
2) Check ride height (Trim braids and flatten add guide spacers if necessary)
3) True rear tyres
4) Ensure front tyres rotate freely and do not bind on body.
5) Lubricate all running gear
6) Glue in motor and rear axle bearings
7) add weight until car is balanced
8) Put back the Bl**** magnet (if you must)
9) Refit body checking that rear tyres don't rub and that interior does not foul tyres.

If that doesn't work, build your own chassis.

Regards

Alan

G

·
HI,

By the way you have written the question, I can only assume that you are struggling with oversteer.

First off, oversteer is not good for lap times as the car is spending more time sideways, and not being propelled forwards.

Not everything can be solved by magnets, and one thing I learnt when I started racing at different clubs is that tyres really DO matter.
So, you may want to try glueing your tyres onto the wheel rims and true them as normal. Once trued, aquire some lighter fluid and put a bit on each tyre and massage it in, then leave the car and let the oil soak into the tyres. This makes them more supple and soft in turn providing more grip because they are softer.

Baz

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey guys,

I think, when the car is slippery on the rear end, it's just a little bit more fun to drive. It's doesn't always have to stick on the track like glue, 'caus then we would all be driving like 'world champs'. When the car does that little drift, it's the drivers skill that counts....

just my 2 cents

Greetings
651rA

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cheers for the tips - will try that out.

Also interested in what other categories of car behaviour ppl look out for, as well as oversteer and guide-hop

Dave

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
You may also come across general chattering of the car especially when on the brakes. This can be partly resolved by allowing body rock so that vibrations can be absorbed. It helped my Carrera Bentley a great deal at Pendle

Mark.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Try this : glue tyres on the rims and true them; then mount on a spare axle on a Dremel and spin at high revs on a piece of tissue with a little automatic trasmission oil on it ( or some other high W motor oil ); they must smoke when turning, reaching an high temperature; clean with lighter fluid and you will get some nice soft oiled tyres with higher grip.

Beware : don't breath the smoke, use a painter mask or do the trick outside! Also, if not done properly, this could damage tyres!
I have tried it, and it works for speed crazy people.

Ciao

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the new tips

Just remembered another thing for the oversteer / backend leading the car to tip over:
profiling the tyres, ie sanding the edges to make a nice curve instead of being square. This has brought the lap time down from 4.8 to 4.6 - getting there, my saleen is 4.5

Another car fault - slow on straights: reduce weight, magnet, better motor... better motor needed in this case, i need the weights and mag for cornering!

·
Registered
458 Posts
lotus is going to kill me for saying this but.......

while were on the subject of tuning, ive had problems with a lot of gear noise on the single seat, i swapped the back axel over and that took some of it out (later inspection revealed that id taken 3 &1/2 teeth off the crown) but it still makes a bit of noise, how do i get rid of it? also about gear noise has anyone exept me noticed how noisy the scx 206 is? probbably doesent help that one bearing holder is broken and the bearing is just stuck to the chassis but still...

hopefully someone can help

·
Premium Member
5,675 Posts
I think SCX cars vary soooo much - I've two 206s and both are as quiet as church mice.

My Audi TT on the other hand is another matter all together and little kids should be encouraged to don ear-defenders when watching it pass.

I had a Venturi that squealed on the "overrun" but judicious use of some Trinity oil sorted that one out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.