SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wondered if you can help.

A new member of our club (Farnham) has raced at a number of other clubs around the South East, but has, wisely, decided to play at our club.

He has two controllers, one works fine (a Parma with push in resistors for ohms), the second is a Truespeed PWM-12*5 (that's what it says on the face plate). It has lots of knobs and buttons (which we all secretly like!) and he would like to use this.

The first time he used it he plugged in and the car went full throttle (with no finger input).

I'm not familiar with electronic controllers in any way, but guessed it was wired the wrong way around for our club?

This is how we have our tracked wired;

I popped the face plate off to take a look inside expecting to see cables, but it's full of PCB boards etc so any chance of re-wiring within the box seems unlikely. I wondered if the controller cables could be re-wired to suit?

Failing all that it might be faulty or damaged by plugging in at our club?

Can these controllers be re-wired for our club?
Who does repairs for Tru-Speed?

Many thanks in advance on behalf of Norman at Farnham.

Gareth

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mr. Croker.

Just had a look at the web site - so would you say our club is wired for negative rather than positive and that's the reason for going full power?

·
Slot Car Racer and Builder
1,721 Posts
From the diagram I would say that the track is negative wired. Most likely the PWM controller is positive wired. Hopefully it has a built in protection and something as simple as a fuse has blown.

cheers
DM

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks DM

Do you know if it's possible for Tru-speed to re-wire them for negative wired tracks?

·
1,721 Posts

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
QUOTE (dangermouse @ 15 Sep 2011, 10:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>From the diagram I would say that the track is negative wired. Most likely the PWM controller is positive wired. Hopefully it has a built in protection and something as simple as a fuse has blown.

cheers
DM
Difficult to be sure from that diagram without being certain about the internal wiring of the "stop / go box"
It looks like the neg side of the power supply is permanently connected to the track / brake band of the controller (via a Braking on/off switch) and pos side of the power supply is connected to the controller full power terminal - so if I've understood the diagram correctly that's positive track wiring.

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys for your help - i guess we are going to have to take a closer look at the wiring at the club.

The Stop Go are standard DS boxes, power is adjustable DS and timing (not that is involved) is DS also.

·
1,721 Posts
Yes 300slr I wondered about that bit as well - Does the direction of travel matter? - looking at the diagram if the cars travel to the left away from the stop go box then isn't the track negative wired? as the positive wire should be on the right/top for the direction of travel.

DM

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
The direction of travel doesn't matter. Positive wired tracks can have the cars going either way (as can negative wired tracks)

What does matter is which way the current goes through the controller.
Transistors etc. only work one way round which is why most electronic controllers only work on one polarity.
Resistors work equally well either way round, so resistance controllers work just as well with positive or negative track wiring.

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just spoken to the guy that wired our track - he followed DS instructions and the track is wired positive, however he reminded me that we have a switch to turn brakes on or off (we normally run no brakes) would i be right to assume that if the brake circuit was off electronic controllers would not work?

·
Premium Member
3,083 Posts
Gareth, I have a Truspeed Club controller (lower spec but same principle as pwm I believe) and my home track has an on/off switch for brakes. Controller runs fine with or without brakes.

Steve is justly proud of his products and an email to him should bring helpful suggestions very quickly.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
QUOTE (JEXY1 @ 15 Sep 2011, 16:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>would i be right to assume that if the brake circuit was off electronic controllers would not work?
Some will work with brakes switched off, some won't.
Truspeed's web site says they make some pwm controllers and some that are not pwm
For a definitive answer on which Truspeed controllers will work with brakes switched off, I suggest asking Truspeed

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Brian and 300SLR - sent Steve and email (i'm keen to sort this one out, because everyone recommends the TrueSpeed controllers and i would like one!

·
Steve Hills
486 Posts
Hi gents.
Thanks Mark (Mr Croker) for the heads-up on the post.
Gareth, the TruSpeed controllers are all Positove wired as standard, and some I do as negative wired.
Your track is positive wired according to your diagram, so no problems there, it's just that the fully electronic ones need the power supply positive and negative at the same time. With your brake switch OFF the negative is not present, so the controller only has positive.
That may well explain why the car ran without pressing the trigger.
Did you try it with the brake switch ON?
If you have any doubts please feel free to send the controller to me and I'll check it over.
Please say hi to Norman Facey for me.

I live in Liphook only 12 miles from Farnham, so could pop over to your club to have a look.
Let me know your race or practice nights and I'll arrange something.

cheers,
Steve

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow (now there is quality service!).

Thanks Steve - we race on Wednesday evenings from 2000 hrs - it would be great if you could come along - i suspect you would take an order for a new controller while you were there!

Noted about the brakes switch - that seems to make sence and explain - i have to go to club on Sunday to prepare some tracks for SlotrallyGB Farnham round so will try it then with the brakes switched on.

Hope to see you soon.

Gareth

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
QUOTE (JEXY1 @ 15 Sep 2011, 17:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>....... everyone recommends the TrueSpeed controllers and i would like one!
For sure I'd recommend a good adjustable electronic controller over a simple fixed resistance one.
There are several makes of good adjustable electronic controller on the market, TrueSpeed is but one of those makes. Which one is best for you depends on personal preference and what sorts of car you race.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi,
we, at Slotracers leuven in Belgium, are verry pleased with the truespeed controllers.
When I was starting to slotrace, it was like everyone with a simple parma, then I have been racing with slot-it scp, wich was for me beter than a simple parma.
About 2 years aggo, I bought someone's ACD, witch was for me again a litlle revolution, it was beter than a slot-it scp.
Someone at our club then came up with a controller with a box where on the box there where much buttons! truespeed he said, I have now also a truespeed like two or three other members, and th difference is verry great, you can drive the corners much better as before, in our club(26 members) I'am sure that steve will deliver more controllers this year. It is the combination of three controllers, Slot-it,ACD en truespeed that makes this controller one of the top for a "little" price.
Also a verry good service and Always ready to help us.

·
Steve Hills
486 Posts
Hi Beemer
I am glad to read that you are enjoying your controllers.

The ease of repair was one of the important things when designing the products, so they are inexpensive and quick to fix if necessary.

The Farnham Scalextric club where this one was being used has no brake wiring on the track, so electronic controllers are not generally suitable.
It's a nice to track to race on though even still. I've had a couple of fun evenings there.

cheers,

1 - 20 of 20 Posts