SlotForum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Graham Windle
4,480 Posts
Ive just taken delivery of a truespeed controller from Steve Hills and I must say a very nice job it is too .When I contacted Steve about this controller earlier this year I explained that I always use a thumb controll and Steves were based on trigger type handles .Steve offered to build one into a thumb handle for me so I sent an SCD rythm stick handle down and Steve made a custom wiper board to suit .The advantage of a controller such as this is that basicaly you have a setting to suit every occasion , recently I have found that when using motors such as the moto gp a "normal" transistor controll can be a little to touchy and to combat this I added an extra adjustment to give several more steps to compensate .However with Steves Controller it is posible to tune the acceleration curve and also reduce the motor power to make the thing more drivable there is also a sensitivity controll which is like reducing or increasing the ohms on a normal controller .The brakes have two adjustments one for amount of braking and one for the time the brake is applied the way this works is the brakes come on and then after a preset time they are released alowing the car to roll on into the bend giving the driver time to get back onto the power for the exit .
The whole package is very well engineered and will handle 31 amps which should be enough for most set ups .The controller comes with the owners name printed on the case so no picking the wrong one up on a club night which has happened to a couple of our members .
At £177.50 it is probably one of the most expensive things you will probably purchase but I should point out that a controller of this quality will last a long time ,I have had my previous controller for 20 yrs and I expect this one will last easily as long making it cost a touch over £8.00 a year so when put into perspective its not expensive .I plan to test it on friday at John Ps proxy round so with the variety of motors in the cars it should get a good evaluation but my early feelings are that its an item well worth having .
Nice one Steve

·
Graham Windle
4,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Perhaps Steve can answer the question about short protection as I havent seen his circuit diagram but I would be surprised if he hasnt built any protection into the circuit as the rest of the package is very well engineered

·
Graham Windle
4,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the reply steve ,I gave the controller a good test tonight and Im pleased to say it performed very well especialy when used with a car which was quite difficult to drive .The use of the power reduction control and the acceleration tamed the difficult car enabling the available power to be used to maximum effect .Hopefully I can give it a further test at pendle on tues day before I return to Crete .

·
Graham Windle
4,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Steve the controller made the trip to crete ok and arrived safe and sound now all I have to do is build a track on the patio to use it on

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.