SlotForum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi,

I had quite a few sets as a child that i have been able to identify;
had a Lazer 2000 set, a Tyco US1 Set, various AFX tracks.

But there is one track i have a Vague memory of i hope somebody can narrow it down.

The year was between 1979 and 1981.

It was a lane change set with 3 cars. the track had 3 rails per lane, No slot, the slot cars had 3 contacts on the chassis, the speed control guns were Yellow in color with a black trigger and a second switch on the Gun used for lane changes. The track was black or grey in color, and the connection between the sections looked like a Saw tooth /\/\/\/\/\ . the track also had high sides like walls to contain the cars this was not a friction motor matchbox set it was a powered set with motors in each car.

i cannot remember what make or model of cars the 2 racing cars were, but the 3rd car was a blocker car it was a white dodge with little blue lights on the roof that would light up on the track, the blocker car simply drove around the track by itself and would block traffic, i remember the cars might of had little wheels on the front bumpers because the cars would ride the sides of the track, each car was tied to its own rail, so when you hit the lane change button the car would switch over to the opposite lane for a little bit then it would roll back to its original track. the idea was you could get around the blocker car.

the track was built with different sections that would benefit the use of the lane change function in addition to the blocker car. there was one section i remember that was a shortcut around a hair pin turn. if you triggered the lane change you were able to get into the single lane shortcut and get to the finish line faster.

It was a really fun set, but it broke very easily for a 5 year old, i remember using it so much i wore the contacts out underneath the cars and they had cuts in the feet that eventually caused dead spots and the lane change no longer worked. the tracks eventually all broke the connections and i remember all the little saw teeth connections between the tracks snapping off.

I thought the set was made by AFX but nothing in the AFX catalogs i've seen look anything like it. so i'm not sure who made it or if history even remembers it. sadly all evidence of my set was thrown out in the 1980s so i have nothing to go on but memories.

hoping maybe somebody remembers something like it. it was unique since it was 3 rails per lane with no slot and the cars rode the walls until the switch was thrown which would twitch the front wheels to turn the car to the opposite side of the track for a little while then it would roll back to its original track.

from my memory the cars were the same scale as all the other cars i had 1:64 i believe? Ho scale?

thanks for any help you guys post.

·
Prof I T
11,175 Posts
hi
i would of said tcr as well,Total Control Racing.

·
Administrator
9,854 Posts
Sounds like TCR, which was the most common "slotless" set. But Aurora (who made AFX) also made their own version of this system, and probably Tyco and all the other manufacturers as well. There should be a fair amount of TCR (Ideal, not Tyco) info on the Net.

Don

·
Registered
312 Posts
Aye, TCR. I had the truck set. Spent hours playing on the set as a child.
Even had a basic yellow lap counter.
Never did find out what happened to the set and all the extra cars I had..

·
Premium Member
3,382 Posts
TCR racing now that brings back some happy memories. I had the F1 set with two race cars and the jam car, plus the trucks and police car, it was great fun.

I seem to recall the brass pickups wore out very quickly and I had difficulty obtaining new ones, so once the last of the cars stopped working the TCR was packed up never to be seen again.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i dove head long into getting some Tyco TCR sets.

i realize each company made TCR sets with pros and cons.

some say the Tyco command control is the worst type of TCR.
some say the Ideal set had the weakest steering system that broke all the time.
Aurora made a set that seems to be the rarest to find parts for.

since Tyco made the TCR up till 1993 it seemed the easiest to get into.

I found some things Ideal and Aurora Did as far as track design interesting. that concept they had of an interchange track was pretty cool where you could swap in and out of an inner circle.

Tyco for the most part tried to keep it simple and straight forward in track design instead of making all kinds of crazy track gimmicks like changeovers and squeeze tracks they stuck to basic ovals and incorporated obstacles or barriers .

i also found it interesting that later TCR sets tried to address the problem with turns only using the outside track due to centrifugal force, so they started to make turns with dividers. similar to the penalty turns.

hopefully i get enough parts together to build up a good TCR tyco set(command control)

-------------------

I think i figured out the reason out of all the slot car sets i had this type stuck out the most:

It was the most interactive and also the most confusing for a 4 year old.

I remember having a lot of problems with it, in fact i remember not using it a whole lot and how it eventually broke and became a track for my pull back and go matchbox cars as a track to run on.

back when i was 4 i believe we got the set second hand and it didn't come with instructions, i can remember just driving around the outer lane of the track around and around not understanding the concept of a lane change, i didn't understand what the jam car did and i remember being frustrated that you could not control that car.

I do remember constant stall outs as the cars would come off a track with insufficient speed.

Basically the entire concept of a slot less track was lost on me as i was too young to understand it.

after my brief venture into slot less i remember just going the tradition route with slotted cars and getting various tyco and AFX sets until the mid 1980s.

but somehow that memory of a slot less car always stuck with me as something unfinished in the back of my mind.

Time to figure it out i guess

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.