SlotForum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Hi All

I have a few of these sitting in a box doing nothing

What mods do you have to do to get them running

I don't want them to be race winners just a nice car to run around the track as something different

Michael

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
I prepped a few of these for a race night/Christmas party for work colleagues once. Apart from the usual gluing and truing I found it beneficial to remove the front axle slop by gluing a thin piece of balsa wood under the axle. That was a little crude, these days I'd probably just axle-tube it.

They are a nice shape for a slotcar (wide, low, long wheelbase) so can be made to drive quite nicely.

Coop

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
remove front pick up contacts and solder motor wires direct to top of pickups. this lowers the front. as coopdevil said sleeve the front axle then glue it into place, you wont believe the improvement in handling-performance. john

·
Circuit Owner
5,889 Posts
I agree with the front axle stuff.

If you don't want to remove the pickup contacts you could add a little weight in the nose to keep it down.

I had a few of these - the rear wheels will probably need glueing as they can be very loose on that era of Scalextric car (both my Porsche and Mercedes lost their rear wheels a few times under hard cornering so I ended up glueing them in).

I sold them before I got into tyre making otherwise I would have made some soft urethanes for them and removed the pathetically weak magnets. This will give you some fun controllable sliding if you want it but also much faster lap times than standard rubber. Urethanes are probably available in the right size from somewhere and, as the cars are quite light, I would go for shore 20 or 30 if you can find them.

Glue the pinion (make sure it's undamaged) as that can slip. Check the contrate gear for damaged teeth and replace (BEFORE you glue the wheels on!!!!)

Usual stuff really.

Damn - wish I had kept mine now - I sold them before I got into the tuning side of things. Oh well - off to Ebay!

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Front axle is a given

One thing though is how do you get the nose to sit down as even with everthing ripped out it sits so high

Also not worried about changing bits the only things that needs keeping is the motor, chassie and body everthing else can go in the bin.

Not looking for speed but just a nice car to drive that looks pretty good and can do a set of them that are pretty equal

Michael

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
i fogot [memory lapse] you have to file off the little lip that protudes from the under side of the chassis[just behind the guide] keeping it from allowing the guide to run on the flat bottomof the chassis. you also remove about the same off the guide post whilst filing the lip off. this will drop the nose another couple of millemeters, if you really want to get radicall. dremel the half moon completely away[ this is a good idea] even with the above mod, as it gives more clearance to the wire. if you solder the wires to the braid tops, its a good idea to shorten the eyelet holders to the top of the braid height, especially if you dont do the dremell mod. where was i? o yea radicall, you have to halve the thickness of the chassis and holder in the area swept by the back of the guide flag, this drops it into the weeds. you probably need to build up and strenghten the guide holder on the reverse of the chassis, i cant remember, its been a long time since i did one. john.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts