SlotForum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've read through lots of threads on tuning slot cars, with some switching running gear for the likes of Slot-It parts in search of better performance. My questions are which manufacturer has the better quality parts, and why do parts such as new axles or gears improve the performance of a car ?

My main hobby is radio control touring car racing, where tuning of suspension and better tyres make a huge difference to the handling of a car. I know that on slot cars tyres a big difference on handling, but as the front of the car is largely controlled by the guide in the slot, what other influence can you have on your slot car ?

Hope this waffle makes sense.

32819toon

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, that partially answers my question. What I'm getting at is are RTR cars so poor that they need the axles, gears and wheels replacing with parts from Slot It etc ? What is the difference between these parts ? Are Slot It gears better quality and better perfoming than say SCX or Scalextric ?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for some interesting comments gentlemen, it's really good to start up some interesting debate. The point I made about the slot guide is because the front of the car will always follow the guide slot, provided you don't de-slot the car by entering the corner too fast. In RC, the front of the car's handling is essential as you need to get the car to be balanced on the corner,not understeer too much and not be too loose, and also be able to turn in sharply on a tight corner.

So, if I were to tune a car made with a PCS chassis, is the running gear supplied in that chassis of a suitable standard ? I must admit that of the PCS chassis cars I have, all of them perform differently. From my very limited experience with these cars, the guide is very poor. Which guide would be recommended to replace them ? I am running on Scalextric Classic track.

Thanks again for your comments.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts