SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
ParrotGod
11,549 Posts
Never thoughts of doing that. To be honest I hate using glue.
I prefer to use double side tape when putting ballast on a chassis.

·
ParrotGod
11,549 Posts
Sometime I use blu-tak as well. Especially when I am testing a new car and i might move the lead around before finding the right place.

·
Kevs Racing Bits
5,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I use glue because it's the thinnest sticky stuff available and you want ballast as low as possible.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
I use both , double side tape and when it’s in position add some drops of superglue to fix it well, this prevents ballast to move or get lose in case of collision.

·
Kevs Racing Bits
5,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To those users of blutac and double sided tape, how do you prevent the chassis warping? That part of my OP has obviously been overlooked.

·
Greg Gaub
17,074 Posts
I've never noticed warping caused by either of those things, but I also haven't used them on 3DP chassis.
I'd be more inclined to think glue will cause warping, so holding it down with magnets while the glue cures (which usually means it shrinks) is sensible.

·
ParrotGod
11,549 Posts
Same here. Never seen chassis wrapping because of the lead.
More recently, with the GT3 cars we are using, I use very small amount of lead and some of it in the motor pod (mainly under the rear axle).

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Never had any problems with lead and glue, I have some warped chasis but they were already that way🤷🏻
Love the tungsten putty, IMO it’s the best you can use as ballast but it’s pricey.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
I have used Slot it putty(tungsten) so far without problems, but it’s pricey for the small ball of metal, I like it cause it can be fitted almost anywhere and specially with on the small triangle that usually is empty between the guide and front axle. I use it only on some of the cars because of the price and for the most of them I use lead weights that are cheaper.

·
Premium Member
6,324 Posts
And the putty is a helluva messy thing. I tried it once.

ONCE.
A year or two ago I piled the stuff into a few cars that I then stored on their side.

Then we had a warm summer - not this one we're currently in!

Messy, very messy. And time-consuming to clean up. I'm back to lead now. :rolleyes:

·
re member
4,429 Posts
Its been a few days now and I am wondering where the next "tuning tip of the day" is coming from????

Tungsten putty, lead weight, blutac has had its day.

Here is my easy cheap tip.....lossen yer screws.

Why dont we compile a list of said tuning tips as many are standard practice are they not?

·
David H
4,302 Posts
Its been a few days now and I am wondering where the next "tuning tip of the day" is coming from????
I'll fill the gap.

Today's top tip: ignore August 14th's Tuning Tip of the Day. God knows what Kevan does to his chassis for the addition of ballast to cause them to warp, but whatever it is, avoid it.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts