Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Circuit Owner
5,889 Posts
It's official. Sig is crossing to the dark side!!!

Have you been got at? First a train on Future London and now directly pointing us at railway layouts? (Damn - now need to visit bathroom to wash own mouth out with soap).

Yes it's all very clever but you can't race trains - I know - my parents bought me a train set when I was a kid when I wanted Scalextric. Trains just don't corner well at speed even when you remove all but a single shovel of coal.

I never did get a Scalextric set from my parents. I had to buy my own at the age of 48! NOT THAT I'M BITTER OR ANYTHING

Making up for it now

LOVE your layouts Sig - stay with us please and do some more!

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
That's very impressive - interesting idea with the modules - i wonder if us slotters could learn from that - all make a section to common specs and then bring them together to form a huge track?

·
Circuit Owner
5,889 Posts
QUOTE (JEXY1 @ 13 Dec 2011, 23:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That's very impressive - interesting idea with the modules - i wonder if us slotters could learn from that - all make a section to common specs and then bring them together to form a huge track?

Hi Jexy1,

In theory it is good BUT I can speak from bitter experience that it is VERY difficult to do it with plastic track. Look at my thread for the Amman Valley Raceway (link in signature) in the early part for the comments about too much parallel track.

I am sure my modular approach could be standardised as the boards fit well together or take AAWSCC's approach to joining boards which is probably better suited to this idea than mine.

The only way to do this would be with routed tracks and that could be easy providing the specs were very clearly laid out and everybody's routing VERY accurate.

Thinking out loud here - if somebody MADE edge pieces from a strip of hardwood pre-routed with the slots and holes for locating pins then anybody making a board could simply buy two strips per board (one for an end bit) fix the strip to the end of their board and make sure their routed slots matched up with the strip.

The potential is massive. If the strips were symmetrical then it would allow angled boards to be reversed so the giant layout could be made to go around corners in either direction. If you isolated between some groups of boards then you could run slot relays with a driver for every few sections of board (like James May's Brooklands epic track) which gets over the power transmission and driver sight line issues.

Tell Doug quick. We could be on to something here!

Gaydon 2013 - the world longest blind collaborative slot car track?!?

Just a thought.

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
This modular idea is something that Sig and a few others through around some time ago (was it last year already?). It is achievable with some very simple and strict rules set for the formulation of each module: ie) size of a single unit; road position, width and angle for departing each unit. However, it really needs to be routed, not plastic track. There is no reason why it should not be possible to do. It's just, like so many other ideas that seem good at the time, enthusiasm petered out and the idea was relegated to the "nice if" pile.

Had a quick flick through that thread earlier Sig. Thanks for posting it. Will have a good look at it now that I'm at work and have the time to absorb.

Embs

·
Premium Member
8,227 Posts
Lovely. The railway lot put us to shame really.
I like to go on You Tube & watch some of the layouts in action...some of the stuff blows your mind.
Cheers
Kev.

·
6,455 Posts
Now that I've had a chance to look properly at it I must say I'm extremely impressed by the ants.
And the trees. Looks like I need to start raiding a few derelict houses for their copper flex. Damn shame my pet electrician moved out of town.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Not a bad idea to get a bigger track. If nothing else it would be quite an achievement if this little board was able to do that.

Its a bit far to to send a track section from Australia, I don't know if they would let me export that given the timber content, but I'd be happy to build some Mini-Art houses and footbridges and stuff to add to the endeavor.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE (loosesalute @ 14 Dec 2011, 09:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Lovely. The railway lot put us to shame really.

Kev.

actually i kind of disagree kev!, i remember when i started here thinking that yes the train guys are the gods and us slot folks are just playing, but frankly in the last 3 years i don´t believe that to be sooo true. remember this is one of the best tracks on the enemy (
)forum, then compare that to sir brads track or some of you freak detailists and i think we´re catching up

seriously i think we are doing a pretty good job over here too!

mr modifier...i was racing trains the other day!
, got 3 chassis through all the same but differnet speeds, they all work fine on the one track together (weirdly) so i was speeding them round untill the faster one shunted the slower one!

(proving you can take the slot car out of a man but err.. the man man will never get out of the slot car....
...or something)

·
6,455 Posts
I do think we slotters are catching up. I also think the MRR mob have a slight advantage when it comes to availability of supporting bits in the right scale.

Scenic modelling on slot car tracks is one of the fastest growing parts of the slot car hobby. However, the 1:32 scale works against us when it comes to borrowing bits from our railway brethren.

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
One thing i do wonder about it re-scaling all the card/paper based buildings the railway boys have to 1;32 scale - can't be that hard. I did drop one of the manufacturers a line once, but they said they would not/could not do it. What is the ratio from HO to 1;32 (as if you blow it up on photoshop or on a photocopier?

·
Registered
899 Posts
QUOTE One thing i do wonder about it re-scaling all the card/paper based buildings the railway boys have to 1;32 scale - can't be that hard. I did drop one of the manufacturers a line once, but they said they would not/could not do it. What is the ratio from HO to 1;32 (as if you blow it up on photoshop or on a photocopier?

We'll just build our own, it will be quicker.

Like this

Just pick a dimension between 32mm and 35mm as being 1 scale metre and everyone work off the same guage.

·
Targa Freak
936 Posts
ZITAT(Ember @ 14 Dec 2011, 03:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>This modular idea is something that Sig and a few others through around some time ago (was it last year already?)...

Embs
Yes, freaks. Great idea and not far from being done. More thoughts here.

Regards Jens

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Ok, how's this?

We need a leader, I will be brave and throw my name into the hat. Anyone else want to do it?
I think a rally, Jexy1 style, loop at each end.
I could make up the end bits mentioned and ship them out to people.
All sections would be made from 50mm x 25mm with 12mm MDF and a 4mm MDF base and 1500mm x 900mm. That's a good size to fit a decent amount of twists and scenery. And should fit into most peoples cars.
Maybe we could have a list of themes and you pick which theme you want to do.
UKsqeezea could do buildings. I'll leave it to you to recruit assistants.
A few suggestions for themes;
Western,
Quarry,
Beach,
Forest,
Town,
Desert.

Any more?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Wow, this guy is a legend indeed...great stuff.

-I will begin selling models made from resin, wood and silicone next year. (I'm just building my workshop and planning everything).

Maybe I could make my contribution sending anything to you.

cheers

·
Registered
899 Posts
Two things I might suggest.
If you keep the size down to 1metre in length and only 300mm wide and aim for a straight road /street based layout with a loop on either end so you can drive up and down you could use it for displays.
One thing the train guys get right is the layouts are usually more realistic because they are simple.

Say for instance if a car ran up and back past simple road based scenes it would not make the slot so obvious.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well thats an unexpected turn of events!

jens ! we need to get that modular idea back on track why did it fizzle out.?..still agree with the 90 x 90 module (180 x 90 etc etc)also agree with squeezea in limiting the slot effect however, we should distinguish ourselves from the train linearity also i think....as people we do appear to be quite a different breed /mentality, and that should be clear in the final composition also i think.

90 x 90 sounds small but if done properly is a lot of work better to be of high quality and less quantity perhaps
aawscc what about setting the era aswell as the place. i´d like the idea of a cross section of a city, so the styles will change as you go out towards the suburbs

for example 1970´s chicago
1930´s berlin
1940s paris

etc etc

1 - 20 of 71 Posts