SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Prince of Destruction
605 Posts
Inspired by 'Peter's ongoing builds' thread, I decided to do something similar with my Ferrari projects and thus combine them in one continuous thread. Most of my projects exist only in my head for now (...) but some have actually materialized into running projects and even finished cars! This thread will be a combination of real scratch builds and upgrades of existing cars (adding detail, improving running gear, etc). But only Ferrari's! Forza!

Let's start with an actual finished project:

Ferrari 312 B2, 1972

This is a golden oldie I did many years ago but it's still one of my favorite cars as it goes really well and it just looks awesome when going around the track. It is a modified Scalextric that many of you will probably own or know. The most important alteration that really brought the car to live was lowering the nose. The car has a much better stance now. Also the mirrors did a lot for the overall look, even if they are a bit too bulky. Added suspension detail, repositioning the rear wings and a livery based on the Jacky Ickx/Monaco 1972 race have also done wonders to the nice but fairly basic original Scalextric. It is by far not perfect but it is very pretty.

Cheers
René

·
Prince of Destruction
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ferrari 158/1512, 1964/65

These cars were already presented in an older thread called "Delicatezza Italiana' I started a year ago. I have now decided their build will only be continued in this thread but you can still read the original posts and comments here.
This double project was on hold for a while as I had trouble finding the right size wheels and tyres. But luckily I have found them now and even painted them in the characteristic 'baby blue' color!

This is the original planning and short background story of the cars:
Building John Surtees' 1964 title winning Ferrari 158 and simultaneously the Ferrari 1512, sometimes called 512. The latter is an evolution of the 158 (= 1.5 litre V8) with a 12 cylinder engine (so 1512 = 1.5 litre V12) and was introduced for the last two races of 1964 and then raced for the entire '65 season.
The 158 was the more successful car, winning the German and Italian GP's and subsequently the championship for John Surtees. The 1512 finished several times on the podium but unfortunately never won a race.
The kits are from Penelope Pitlane and I plan to add some additional detail along the way. For the 158 I have chosen John Surtees' Monza Grand Prix winner with the No.2 and for the 1512 I will build the No.17 that finished second in the 1965 Monaco Grand Prix driven by Lorenzo Bandini. The 1512 needed some plastic surgery as Bandini drove the short nose version in the race. It looks like it has actually been cut off, just below the Ferrari badge!

Below a brief picture overview of the project and the current status.

Cheers
René

·
Prince of Destruction
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ferrari 312 B3, 1974

This is an entirely new project I started only a few days ago. The idea has been buzzing in my head for a long time but after reading on the new Flyslot Formula 1 cars for the coming year, I decided to give it a go. With the Brabham BT44 and the upcoming Tyrrell 007 from the 1974 season, I felt they needed a Ferrari to race against!

As a kid, I used to have a huge Polistil slot track and one of my cars was a Ferrari 312 B3. I lost the original car somewhere along the way but I re-purchased it some 15 years ago out of pure nostalgia. And now I decided to cut it into pieces!
The plan is as follows; I use a Flyslot March chassis as a base and then remodel the Polistil body to fit the chassis and have the same scale as the other Flyslot F1 cars. In case someone of the 'scale-police' reads this (just kidding
) I don't know how accurate to scale the end result will be and I don't care, I just want the car to be in line (optical) with the Flyslot cars. The Polistil body is far too big, I guess somewhere between 1/28 and 1/30 or so so it needs slimming down.

What I do like on the Polistil body are the bodylines and details so I want to keep as many of these as possible.

So here we go, cutting the body in half. Looks already a lot better but the nose is much too high so needs some bending and I cut a bit more from the body to make it even more narrow.

Seeing from behind you can really see the asymmetrical shape of the B3.
I also worked on the March front suspension to make it more like the Ferrari's: first I removed the high brake ducts (I will make new ones). Also removed the shock absorbers as the Ferrari has them neatly packed inside the chassis and I removed the upper front wishbones. The new ones will fit neatly in the Ferrari body.

Just for a first impression next to the Brabham. The wings are all wrong, the rear wing is from the March and the front wing is the way too big Polistil wing but it gives an idea. So far for now!

Cheers
René

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
The B3 from 1974 is my all time favourite Ferrari. Great to see someone tackle one and interesting to see the Polistil car used rather than the spanish scaley one!
Looks good so far, lookign forward to the reat of the build.
Cheers
Andi

·
Anthony Bartlett
3,255 Posts
Gorgeous builds - looking forward to seeing their ongoing progress...

·
Prince of Destruction
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for the nice comments!

@Andi: yes, the 312 B3 is a georgeous car and it marked the beginning of a very successful period for the Scuderia. The Polistil car was laying on my desk for a long time and it somehow triggered my imagination. I also don't see any manufacturer doing this car in the near future. Carrera has the licence but don't do classic F1 and if so, it would be too big and heavy anyhow. Then it could be Scalextric, SRC or maybe Policar but I am not going to wait for that!

Cheers
René

·
Bob Chapman
6,935 Posts
Kudos Rene.
The work so far is terrific, and shows a lot of promise.
Your stated plans seem quite reasonable in these rebuilds, particularly the old Polistil B3.
I am afraid I am not as brave as you with the cutting and changing, mostly due to my limited abilities.
As Tamar mentioned, these are great projects, and I also look forward to your continued posts and progress.
Bob

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
Fantastic work Rene.

The B2 is beautiful, the 158 and 1512 are looking good and will be wonderful examples from this classic era, and the B3....well I have a feeling that you are making a silk purse from a sows ear!
It is looking good and your work on bodywork (and fitting a fly chassis) is going to improve the car 1000%. I am so jealous of your talent!

Keep the pictures coming and thanks for showing us what can be done with some time a skill.
Cheers,
Philip

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
I have just started carving a 1974 B3 - I look forward to your build for inspiration - it looks great so far - I like the "scale police" comment, there have to be some allowances for gears and motors.

keep going mate - I love it

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
A lovely selection of subjects and great techniques in your builds.

My personal favourite is the 312 B2, it shows what can be done with those nice old Scalex bodyshells with a little nip and tuck, paint and decals you have produced a stunning car.

I look forward to seeing your updates to this thread.

David

·
Prince of Destruction
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks again guys! I feel some pressure now to provide regular updates!

@Bob: you only need to be brave for a very short moment; when you decide what car or bodyshell might be ruined if things go wrong. That's all!

@Philip: "well I have a feeling that you are making a silk purse from a sows ear!" That would have been a great title for this thread so don't underestimate your own creativity!
You have done some wonderful builds yourself.

@Joel: the sportscars will come but first I have a few other F1 projects in the planning.

@DNQ: Yes, the scale thing can be a sensitive issue for some...
Don't get me wrong, I admire scale perfection but it doesn't always work on a slot car. Just as with my track, I tend to be more of an impressionist than a perfectionist with my builds.
Great that you are making a B3 too...or is it? I can see some B3's popping up on this forum soon and mine won't be that special anymore!

@David: thanks for the compliment, coming from one of the master builders on this forum!

Cheers
René

·
Prince of Destruction
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update on the B3

I have been working on the cockpit. The original Polistil cockpit/airbox was all wrong and after trying to use some elements without success, I decided to make the cockpit and airbox all new.
This is the second attempt which I am happy with. The air intake is still rough but the overall shape is correct now.

Shaping, re-shapig and fitting...

Proportions are correct now. Don't mind the wings, they are wrong but just there for the impression.

Cheers
René

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Rene

A great piece of work to create the cockpit surround/airbox out of sheet plastic. You haven't said but did you make up paper templates first to experiment with how to fold and shape it?

Thanks so much for showing us your work.

David

·
Premium Member
1,899 Posts
Hmmm, that cockpit looks so good, why not get rid of the whole body and build everything yourself?!

Andy

·
Prince of Destruction
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QUOTE (David Lawson @ 14 Mar 2016, 14:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You haven't said but did you make up paper templates first to experiment with how to fold and shape it?

David, I have build a few cars before out of card board or plastic sheet. And many (many) years ago I worked at a professional model builder (for architects) during my study at art school so I kind of developed a feeling how to create a 3D shape out of a flat sheet.
I did use a template though for the correct side profile. I transfered a blueprint drawing on the plastic sheet to have the angles correct. But then again you have to take the roundings into account as they use more material than a flat shape...

Thanks,
René

·
Prince of Destruction
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
QUOTE (Coides @ 14 Mar 2016, 14:38) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hmmm, that cockpit looks so good, why not get rid of the whole body and build everything yourself?!

Andy

Andy, it did cross my mind. But the body actually isn't that bad. I like some of the details so I believe I can make it work. But if it doesn't, I can always follow your advice and go for the full works!

More of a challenge will be to find the right five spoke wheels that will also fit on the steering front suspension.... Any suggestions are welcome. I did think of the Slot.it Matra wheels but I will need to measure.

Cheers
René

1 - 20 of 152 Posts