SlotForum banner
41 - 60 of 186 Posts
Nice job there Rene

As for changing the xenon look to a more period warm white...
...if you can still access the LED's (lense cover not glued in solid) a few strokes with Tamiya Clear yellow might do the trick .
If locked solid..just paint over the lense cover. Since its black behind the glass, it wont show that much if the lights are out.

with kind regards
Tamar

Discussion starter · #42 ·
@ claus: You are absolutely right, claus. The light is too white, although not as xenon blue as appears in the picture it should be more yellow. It was just a set I had laying around.

@ Tamar: using Tamiya clear yellow sounds like a perfect solution. Thanks for the tip!

Cheers
René

Discussion starter · #44 ·
Hi Andi,

Thank you for your nice reply. I hope to finalize the B3 soon, only need to find some spare time!
Still some work to do on the front suspension/brake ducts and some cockpit detail. But I have all the nessecary decals ready, waiting to be applied.
My biggest headache though are still the wheels. Finding the correct wheels with the same dimensions and keeping the front steering is quite a challenge!

Cheers
René

Well the policar fronts are the right size wheels. Twin them with the slot.it 1088 mould tyres.

If you are prepared to sacrifice the fly front wheels I can see it might be possible to cut them down to extract the central stub able with clip and push/glue those in the Policar wheels.

Then fabricate some inserts.
Cheers
Andi

Discussion starter · #46 ·
Thanks for thinking with me, Andi.

This could be the solution and using the central stub from the Fly wheels in the Policars' must be doable, if there is enough space. Worth trying.
And the PreWing 312B inserts seem correct to me.

Thanks
René

Hi John,

Thanks for the suggestion. However, I want to replace the current March wheels with Ferrari style (early seventies F1) wheels. The challenge is to replace the front wheels while keeping the Fly front suspension with steering. The Fly front wheels have hollow rims with a centre stub. That is why Andi suggested using the Policar wheels and try to modify them.
I don't believe anyone makes duplicate Fly front wheels?

Cheers
René

Discussion starter · #50 ·
Hi John,

Here is a picture of the Fly front suspension and wheel. As you can see the fly wheel (on the right) fits with the central stub in a socket attached to the suspension.

I might try Andi's suggestion with the Policar wheels but first I will try this old Scalextric wheel (on the left) I found in my spare box. The wheel looks almost correct and I will try to modify it. Other suggestions are always welcome!

Below you see what the wheels should look like.

Cheers
René

Hi Rene,

Both Ferrari projects are looking so good!!

I understand the desire to complete the F1 build with as much accuracy as possible (correct number of spokes and their thickness), but weighing up the work required and final results, would the existing March front wheels painted gold not be a pretty close match to the ones shown in the lower image?

Just a thought.

Cheers,
Philip

Thanks Rene, I have some inserts very similar but they are for an alloy rim and I have no ideas on using them with the Fly stub/hub protrusion.
Sorry I cannot offer more.

@ Philip: Thanks for the thought!
It did cross my mind also but at this stage of the build, that would be too early and too easy to give in I feel. I really want to give it a try and I think the wheels are too important for the overall look.

@ munter: No worries. True scratchbuilding is also finding solutions which is also part of the fun. Thanks anyhow for thinking with me.

Cheers
René

Discussion starter · #55 ·
Hi Thomas,

Have them 3D printed would be great but this is a stand-alone, one off project. I am afraid 3D printed wheels would be a bit over the top. But the idea is great nevertheless!

Cheers
René

René
I was just looking at those wheels in the photo you posted of some model. They don't look very Ferrari like to be honest and certainly not like the photos in all my books of this car.
So maybe do a bit more research? Then see if the March wheels can be adapted?
Best
Andi

Discussion starter · #57 ·
You are right Andi. The wheels on the modelcar are not entirely correct. The spokes are too thin and straight. This drawing shows better the correct shape of the wheels.

Cheers
René

Ah Rene,

You are changing the rules!!!

I can see from this drawing how the Ferrari wheels are quite different from the March. The spokes are not straight (more "star" like) and so I agree that the March wheels would not quite look right.

It might not work or line up correctly but maybe it could be worth cutting some thin plasticard to shape, cutting away a couple (or three!) of the March spokes and installingthe homemade wheel inserts?

Love the way the car looks...such a quality build.

Philip

Discussion starter · #59 ·
QUOTE (Philip P @ 27 Sep 2016, 11:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ah Rene,

You are changing the rules!!!

Philip, this is Formula 1. Bending the rules is part of the game!

But seriously, the image above was indeed not a well chosen example as Andi pointed out. A bit silly as I have tons of good photos of this car...

Your idea of making an insert and install it in the Fly wheel could be an alternative option for sure. I certainly have several options I can try now!

Thanks
René

QUOTE (Transmission @ 26 Sep 2016, 23:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Thomas,

Have them 3D printed would be great but this is a stand-alone, one off project. I am afraid 3D printed wheels would be a bit over the top. But the idea is great nevertheless!

Cheers
René

Hi Rene,
Actually designing those wheels in 3D wouldn't be that demanding. Wheel inserts are relatively simple.
Best regards,
Thomas

41 - 60 of 186 Posts