SlotForum banner
101 - 120 of 159 Posts

·
Phil Kalbfell
3,389 Posts
I have to agree with Andi about the Policar chassis setup needing more revs.
IMO the Solarbotics just does not have the torque required.
I have been trying to get a Policar running well for our 70' s F1 series that uses 20,000 motor limit.The extra load is just a bit too much. With a 25,000 it will run with the Flys.
Sorry for Hijacking the thread of such a nice build,Rene very good work.

·
Prince of Destruction
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 · (Edited)
Ferrari 312B 1970 - Jacky Ickx, Austrian Grand Prix winner

The 312B is finally ready. It was an enjoyable build where I added some additional detail to the original Pre-Wing shell. The shape of the shell is not perfect, a bit too high, but still the best 312B shell available. I reworked the rear wing, the oil coolers and exhausts and added different mirrors. All in all I am very happy with the end result.

With the Policar/Shapeways chassis and motor/gearing it is a perfect companion to the Policar and Scalextric 1970 cars. Finally a Ferrari on my 1970 grid!
smile.png

Cheers

René

·
Bob Chapman
7,085 Posts
All descriptors having been used justifiably.
What a wonderful thread with your builds Rene.
Kudos
Bob

·
Prince of Destruction
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
Another interesting build. Are the decals yours or you got from somewhere?
The bodyshell comes with decals which are fine but the ones included where not the version I planned. So I ordered a new set at Indycals. I think the original decals from the kit are also Indycals.

·
Prince of Destruction
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
I think the decals come with the Pre Wing kit.
Great car and great build. Bet it runs well too!
Andi
It runs very well Andi, it's a Policar! ;)
With the resin shell slightly heavier than a Policar RTR but that is no issue on my home track.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I've followed this lovely build and it's one I must add to my list...however, before I do, as I remember, Policar is planning the 1972 car for release? (I think the 70 is a much more beautiful beast and besides, it's from 1970....)

Steve C.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I've followed this lovely build and it's one I must add to my list...however, before I do, as I remember, Policar is planning the 1972 car for release? (I think the 70 is a much more beautiful beast and besides, it's from 1970....)

Steve C.
Yes and yes Steve. Policar are doing the 1972 car and yes the 1970 car is probably more beautiful!
Andi

·
Prince of Destruction
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 · (Edited)
N.A.R.T. Ferrari 330P, Rodriguez/Fulp - Sebring 12 Hours 1964

This time not a Grand Prix car but a small sports car from the 60's, the 330P. I used the Monogram 275P shell, a PCS 32 adjustable chassis and BRM alloy spoke wheels. The 330P is in effect the same car as the 275P but it has a bigger 4 liter V12 engine. The 1964 Sebring race was won by the works Ferrari of Mike Parkes and Umberto Maglioli but I decided to do something different and chose a less reproduced version, namely the North American Racing Team entry driven by Pedro Rodriguez and John Fulp. The car qualified 3rd and ran at the front until lap 40 when it got black flagged with engine problems.

The Monogram shell is very good but it has no real interior, only a flat tray with two arms as driver so I decided to improve the look by creating an interior with full size driver figure. The difficulty though is the very small size of the car that doesn't allow for a sidewinder engine. The inline motor protrudes very far in the cockpit area so it needed some creativity to give at least the impression of a full interior. In the first images you can see how I managed this. The shell also needed a few small add-ons with an air intake on the nose and round air intakes on each side of the car. The side windows needed to be removed and I had to shorten both axles because the car is quite narrow.

This colour scheme was used by N.A.R.T. during the 1964 season at Le Mans and Sebring. It almost gives the impression as if there was already some kind of agreement between Philip Morris and Ferrari... ;)

For those interested, here you can see the real car in action:

I am happy with the end result. A neat little Ferrari that runs very well and looks just a little bit different with this livery.

Thanks for watching.

Cheers

René

·
Registered
980 Posts
Hi Rene,

I have been following your work for some years now.

Marvelous job, each time better !

Your Ferraris are really nice and I want to try to do the 312b2 (from Scalextric).

Do you have a photo of your 312b2 from behind, so that I can see how you did the radiators ?

Many thanks for your help !

André.

·
Prince of Destruction
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
Hi Rene,

I have been following your work for some years now.

Marvelous job, each time better !

Your Ferraris are really nice and I want to try to do the 312b2 (from Scalextric).

Do you have a photo of your 312b2 from behind, so that I can see how you did the radiators ?

Many thanks for your help !

André.
Hi André,

Thanks for the compliment!

The 312B2 by Scalextric is actually a car I did a long time ago. I would propably do some things different now but I am still really pleased with it because the overall look just turned out very good. Most important improvement, besides adding detail, was the lowering of the nose. That made a huge difference so don't forget to do that!

The radiators are made from spare parts from an old model kit. They are too big but still look okay. Here are a few extra pictures.

gallery_23641_2665_25926.jpg

gallery_23641_2665_21649.jpg

gallery_23641_2665_176.jpg

gallery_23641_2665_30594.jpg

Cheers

René

101 - 120 of 159 Posts