Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got started on a project that I have been thinking of doing for a quite a while.

I always wanted to have one or two mobile TV camera crews on our track.

Monogram produced some great sets of figures in the 1960's, which were re-released by MRRC. One of the sets available was the "vendors and newsmen" set, which included a "roaming" cameraman with a camera on his shoulder, and a "full size" TV camera with a separate cameraman posed to be placed behind the camera.

Doing a quick search on-line, I learned that the full size camera in the figure set is a very good model of an RCA TK-14 TV camera that was "state of the art" in 1966.

As usual, the modelers at Monogram got it right and did the camera justice. The only detailing done by me was to drill out the lenses of the camera and the viewing "cowl". The next decision is to make the red light on top of the camera workable or not. I don't think it would be very difficult to do, I just have to find an LED or bulb that is scale in size.

I also did a quick search to see what mobile/on location TV camera vehicles looked like in the 1960's. Most of what I found were ones used in the United States.

While the images I found varied with respect to type and size of vehicle used they had a similar aspect in common. They were quite simple as far as conversion to TV production was concerned which bordered on recklessness. The crew was basically on top of a vehicle and without any railing or bars to guard against falling off the truck!

Well, this at least makes it easier to model!

So with the camera and crew already to go, they need a vehicle to really get them moving!

As the track we have is supposed to be in Europe, I thought that a VW van my wife and daughter bought for me (one of many as they couldn't resist them) would be most appropriate as a mobile camera vehicle/truck.

To be in keeping with our Spa and Belgian theme a yellow one was felt to be most appropriate.

The van comes apart quite easily and has a lot of potential for detailing as a mobile camera vehicle.

Next is to plan what to do to the interior and determine the items required to be made to "deck out" the van.

Any and all comments are more than welcomed!

Thanks

John

·
Premium Member
8,227 Posts
Very nice John.
I`ve got a mobile Corgi Samuelson Film van from 1968 on my Jouef layout.

& a Dinky BBC mobile film van from 1960.

Cheers,
Kev.

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
Very interesting and meticulous work as we're coming to expect from you, John.

I was foolishly excited to see this photo
QUOTE (kitmen @ 3 May 2012, 03:34) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is one of the early camera vehicles from GTV9 Melbourne. Got to be fairly early in the days of Aussie TV, which commenced broadcasting in 1956 for the Olympics.

OH&ES has come a long way since then.

Embs

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kev, I love your camera vans!

The Corgi was one I always wanted while endlessly looking through the annual catalogue but sadly never got.

The dinky BBC van has me expecting a scale John Cleese asking another scale figure if the BBC can borrow its head for a segment of animation!

Great stuff!

Embs, thanks so much for the great compliment!

I didn't realize that the mobile unit I posted was from Australia!

The lens on the TV camera looks very big so I was hopng that the crew was covering a race of some sort. The age of the photo is something I just guessed to be about 1965-66 as the camera looked of that vintage but it may be me just wishing it to be so.

Thanks again for the great posts!

John

·
Registered
851 Posts
That does look to be a pretty good representation of an old I.O. TV camera. It begs to be taken off that one-legged stand and put on a proper tripod or pedestal.

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
Thanks Datto! That's a great idea as I want to remove the base of the camera operator which then would require an equal "lowering" of the camera. Perhaps a new base is in order!

Every van for TV needs a monitor or two.

Here are some photos I found of mobile units and the TV monitors used inside the vehicles:

I thought that I would try to fabricate monitors for our mobile TV unit van.

I have made these two side-by-side monitors to be placed in the rear of the van. The monitors will be visible once the rear door is opened up.

Here are the "faces" of the monitors and the build-up. The handles are bent brass wire inserted into the front of the monitors to give them the look of being production/utility items.

To add some interest I thought I would try to make them "work".

I thought I would try to do this with a light in the monitors to light up the screens. The van is easy to wire as mobile TV units have wires running in and out of them to receive power and to power the equipment being used in and out of the truck.

Any and all comments are more than welcomed.

Thanks

John

·
*** Leo A Capaldi ***
3,578 Posts
Hello John,
Loving the monitors, are you using bulbs because they disperse light better than LEDs ?

A while ago I made up a film camera van, now inspired to move into the TV age...

Kind regards, Leo

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all of the great comments!

Leo, yes the bulbs will make the screens look much more realistic as LEDs seemed too bright.

Steve the Land Rover would make a great TV truck! Who makes it?

I added some "knobs" to the front of the monitors and some images for the screens.

The screen on the left has the RCA Test Pattern while the screen on the right has Jim Clark in a Lotus 33.

Here are the screens with the lights on as a test.

Some weathering was done to the VW, as being a utility vehicle the crew is too busy working to worry about cleaning the truck!

I drilled two 1/16" holes on the right side of the rear of the van.

I next printed off a logo from a 1960's Belgian TV network and glued them in place on the sides of the van.

I assembled the monitors in the van running the wires through the holes I drilled.

Here are the monitors "on".

Next is to paint the entire crew and camera, which will be done soon.

Any and all comments are more than welcomed.

Thanks

John

·
Premium Member
985 Posts
hi john, love the vee dub, hurry up and paint the commentators hair he is looking too much like jimmy saville,scary!
who makes the land rover?, er, i do, its one of my resin kits
cheers steve

·
*** Leo A Capaldi ***
3,578 Posts
The monitors look cool - although I think the handles should be "chrome" or maybe back to the brass ??
Yeah Steve, I see where you get that Saville idea, "Now then, now then, as it happens..."

Leo

·
Registered
17 Posts
Awesome buildup!! The only comment I have is that I would dim the light for the monitors and maybe get one that is bluer as the yellow doesn't look right to me from the pic (but in person it might be perfect).

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks very much for all of the great comments in your posts!

Steve and Leo, I promise that the commentator will be the first figure to be painted!

Steve, your Land Rover looks great! Wonderful work!

Leo, great comment regarding the handles. I agree that they get lost being painted black. I'll try the brass suggestion first and see how it looks.

rsxer63, thanks very much suggesting a blue light, you are correct the photos as posted don't do the "lit" monitors justice. They actually look quite good in person but a bit yellow when photographed.

I really want to thank eveyone again for posting. Your comments are very much appreciated and really motivate me to continue to complete my work.

John

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My apologies for not posting as of late as things have been busy.

I managed to get some time to do some work on the TV camera so I thought that I would post the work so far.

I managed to find some small red LEDs to mount on the camera so here are the photos of the mounting of the LED and the final painting and detailing of the TV camera:

Drilling holes for the LED.

Test fitting the LED.

After painting the camera.

Adding the TV station logo.

Installing the LED

I "plugged in" the camera to see how the LED would work.

With the light "off".

With the light "on".

As always, any and all comments are more than welcomed.

Thanks

John

·
Premium Member
2,699 Posts
That is excellent!

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Slots-O-Fun, thanks very much for your very kind post!

I'm in Etobicoke, where in Toronto are you located?

John

·
Phil Kalbfell
3,373 Posts
I showed this thread to a friend and old slot racer who used to work for the ABC here. He told me he fitted out a Combi for the News crew to use in the ate sixties, it had a roof rack with a wooden platform on it. His only comment was that the camera has " the studio mount" on it. He said the " portable " cameras used tripod type mounts. The studio mounts were very too heavy to be easily lifted!
I am hoping he can find some pics of the van and the inside.
He also worked on the larger trucks used for outside broadcasts so I hope he an find his old pics.

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ember, thanks very much for your very kind words!

Phil, thanks very much for speaking with your friend who was with ABC in the sixties! If he can forward you any photos it would be great!

I'm still trying to fabricate a working tripod for the next camera as I became too impatient for this one!

You gave me a great suggestion to fabricate a wooden platform for the top of the VW for the crew! Thanks very much!

I look forward to seeing any and all photos you receive as I would like to have more detail in the interior of the next van.

Thanks again for the great posts and much appreciated help.

John

1 - 20 of 22 Posts