SlotForum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen some designs of twin motor monsters for the Proxy races if memory serves. From the report, they were balistically fast, but suffered due to their higher weight. Now surely, this can be overcome...

I am thinking of doing this using slot.it motor mounts and an Audi chassis. Sponge tyres maybe...

The will be a design exercise, unless I can find a valid loophole in our club regs.

Suggestions ?

Thanks

T

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
As regards the proxy races, I don't think excess weight was too much of a problem, as Mr. Briggs' cars ably demonstrated

Mark.

·
Graham Windle
4,442 Posts
To be truthfull Its reall not worth the effort I have built several of these twin motor cars and they havent proved to be any better than a good single motor. The origininal reasoning behind a twin motor set up was to cancell out any torque reaction in an inline set up and reduce the amount of tipping. but wih todays chassis design and the lower profile of modern motors you will find a properly build anglewinder or sidewinder will outperform any twin motor set up . if your still insistant about giving it ago then just make sure the motors rotate in oposite directions to cancell out any torque reaction and you can also check out my page on scratchbuilt .com for a good picture of my last twin engine car.

Difflocks party wagon incidently has 2 motors to cope with the size and weight of the thing but under normal circumstances a single motor is better.
For a cheap chassis option check out the electrical conduit method on my web site

·
Alan Tadd
4,030 Posts
T

The Slot.it pods take up an awful lot of room, are you buildinga 1/24th car? or a front and rear drive car.

Has been tried before and I've never seen one that works, ok on the straights but real pigs on the curves, plus you've really got to select a matching pair of motors.

Good luck!...

Alan

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
I remember seeing that on ePay! And ppl said I was strange for wanting to put a strap motor in an F1...

Seriously, I think every scratch builder has tried twin motors and reached the same conclusion - it just doesn't pay. But, if you like to experiment, have a go at it. If nothing else, you'll have fun and end up with a conversation piece!

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Anyone remember seeing that chassis with 3 motors?

It has an inline motor driving the front axel, and two sidewinder motors (one in front, and one behind the back axel) driving the rear axel.

It was pretty awesome, and I just fancied seeing the pic again, just can't find it...

McLaren

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
QUOTE (alfetta @ 7 Sep 2004, 23:07)Just wondering who this guy axel is?
Lead singer - Guns 'n' Roses.

Hmm 3 axles 3 motors, maybe I should upgrade the Slot Tech Party Wagon!

Mark.

·
Peter Farrell
2,114 Posts
Difflock.
I am eternaly grateful for your breadth of knowledge and erudition. But Guns n Roses??? who they??
Alfetta

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
QUOTE Guns n Roses???

That's what a terrorist gives his wife on their anniversary....

Rock band, Alfetta. Normally on the heavy side, but with some lighter, almost melodic stuff too.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
'Almost melodic' ??
As in the same chords played slower on an acoustic?
When's Cliff Richard's new album due- that's what I want to know.

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
QUOTE As in the same chords played slower on an acoustic?

Bingo.... or maybe my "turntable" just needs an overhaul?

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Subi,
I entered a couple of 2 motored cars in the 2003 Marconi Magnet class. The reason I went to 2motors was, at the time, I didn't have any single motor setup that could haul all the magnet downforce I wanted to use. I actually ended up running the cars slower than they were capable of because I didn't have time to fine tune everything. For example, afterwards I found that I could have run either one more tooth on the pinion or more magnet downforce (or both) on the Porsche I entered (see http://p075.ezboard.com/fpockitfrm23.showM...opicID=47.topic ) because I wasn't nearly at the limit of the motors' torque curve. On my track this lower the time .45sec per lap which is quite a bit. If you're going to run magnets then 2 motor has some merit. For non magnet setups though I'm afraid it's a lost cause. One interesting point about my Marconi entries, on both the Marcos and the Ferrari the forward motor rear ball bearing had come loose from the can(bad workmanship) but they both managed to keep running. The Marcos' comm brushes on the forward motor were damaged because of the bearing failure and so it was essentually running on a single motor for some time. Check the link I mentioned for info that might help you out.

I recently managed to make a single motor that fit my requirements better than the 2 motor setup. Essentially it was a long stack(same length as 2 TSRF armature stacks together) with 85turns of #31 double wound[about 1ohm]. I used a shortened 16d comm so that the whole mess would fit in an NC2 can using one of Larry Sheppard's Mura endbell setups and ball bearings. Initially, the motor ran 43,000+rpms at 12vdc but I added Neo magnets and it slowed to 39500 with the torque equal to 2 TSRF motors (Neos installed). I scattered the windings after about an hour of testing but that was because I made a bad solder connection not because of anything in the basic setup. I haven't rebuilt it but if I make another magnet car for Marconi I think thats the way I'll go not with 2 motors. By the way, you'll notice that my 2 motor cars were all PLASTIC chassis.

Jimmy

1 - 19 of 19 Posts