SlotForum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, hello again! Controller questions follow.

My son got this TOURING CAR CHALLENGE Scalextric Set from Rubert The Reindeer this Xmas and now he started to complain that another controller makes car "sticky", it cuts the power out somewhere between minimum and maximum power.

And it really does that. So I opened the controllers to see what's wrong and discovered something peculiar: the controllers haven't been eating the same stuff, they're different.

So:

1. The one with yellow trigger has significantly thicker resistor (the part that looks like a coil to me) than the one with purple trigger. It's definitely a different kind of component. Is this a common procedure with Scalextric and what's the point (if any) in having different controllers in a set box? Should they perform differently perhaps?

2. I think I found out what's wrong with the controller (the one with purple trigger). When the trigger is pulled the resistor in use should get shorter and the resistance should get lower thus allowing the car to get more voltage, correct? Now it seems that the metallic strip that moves along the trigger is not having a contact with the resistor in the medium speed position - there's no rasping sound there that is apparent in the beginning and near the full throttle position.

What if I bend that metallic strip a little so it would touch the resistor all the time?
Could someone verify if that might help?

Thanks a lot - and sorry 'bout my lack of technical terminology.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, I dared to try bending the strip - or actually I put some rubber pads under the resistor. I seems to do the trick perfectly.

So the 2nd question is answered. The first one prevails, however.

·
1 hp Trabant is not my real car
770 Posts
Hi varakeef,

As someone who is still struggling with standard Scalextric controllers (upgrade to Parma is the next move) I can say that both my yellow and purple controllers are identical inside. The resistor should have "60" (ohm) stamped on the mounting lug.

Lightly bending the copper wiper contact to get better contact would be a good move.

I found that the controllers were too high resistance for some cars - Fly Viper for instance; the cars only responded to the last 1/2 of the trigger movement, so I wound copper wire tightly around the last 1/3 of the resistor to make it 40 ohm - it works a treat....except now too sensitive for my magnetless Minis...Doh!

Cheers, Tom.

·
Registered
366 Posts
QUOTE (Isetta @ 24 Jan 2005, 05:40)Hi varakeef,

As someone who is still struggling with standard Scalextric controllers (upgrade to Parma is the next move) I can say that both my yellow and purple controllers are identical inside. The resistor should have "60" (ohm) stamped on the mounting lug.

Lightly bending the copper wiper contact to get better contact would be a good move.

I found that the controllers were too high resistance for some cars - Fly Viper for instance; the cars only responded to the last 1/2 of the trigger movement, so I wound copper wire tightly around the last 1/3 of the resistor to make it 40 ohm - it works a treat....except now too sensitive for my magnetless Minis...Doh!

Cheers, Tom.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with Tom the best thing is to upgrade to something like Parma 40ohm should do the trick. I know it seems a bit expensive to pay £20 or so for a controller but trust me the difference is unbelievable my mates where complaining about how difficult it was to control the cars and to be honest were starting to lose interest in slot cars, they purchased Parma and red fox 25ohm controllers now they really have the "Slotbug"

So if you want to keep on racing with your son then take the plunge.

As for your problem Tom you should try the Professor motor Electronic hand controller I too like to race the older type cars and with this controller you can drive all types. No matter what motor the car has.

regards
Dave

·
770 Posts
QUOTE As for your problem Tom you should try the Professor motor Electronic hand controller I too like to race the older type cars and with this controller you can drive all types. No matter what motor the car has. smile.gif
regards
Dave

Thanks for the tip, Dave. I had seriously looked at the Prof Motor controllers when evaluating what to get. They are rather expensive and I thought a bit "gold watch for a monkey" given my (non) racing abilities. I was thinking Parma Econo to start off nearer to the bottom of the techno slope, and maybe reward myself with better if my skills improve. I guess instead of 2 Parma, I could get 1 Prof Motor and give my son the Scaley to use...that may handicap him enough to give me a chance..

Cheers, Tom.

·
Peter Farrell
2,114 Posts
I have no particular axe to grind but to save yourself some angst why not spend just alittle more and get a variable controller for instance:-
QUOTE PMTR2044 1/32 Home Set Model Electronic Slot Racing Controller for Ninco and Scalextric Sport - "Silver Series" - 3.5 mm 3 conductor plug in stock $47.95 1 This I lifted from the Professor Motor site.

At virtually $2 to the £ that aint bad.

Alfetta

·
770 Posts
Aaaagh... just when I thought I had made a decision.

Back to the quandry

Cheers, Tom.

P.S. varakeef, sorry to hijack your thread, but hope you are finding this goood info too.

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
Here's a good article on the cheapest PM electronic controller.

They really do work well with every type of car, from Flys with racing motors to no-mag Ninco Classics, and the Prof makes them with the right adapter to plug right in to Ninco, Scaley, or Carrera power tracks.

PM controllers are comfortable to hold, smooth, and rugged - mine have bounced on the hard floor more times than I care to think of, but function flawlessly. Electronic controllers also don't generate anywhere near the heat of resistor based controllers.

If you are a very serious racer, it might make sense to have a box full of Parmas with different resistors, but more likely you'd have a Difalco or DR.

But for racing at home a cheap PM or the fancier one are money well spent.

Paul
Circuit TrustChrist

·
770 Posts
Well, I see a simlar thread in the "racing and tuning" category.
seems that controller choice is a big newbie hurdle.

I am travelling for work again, and Singapore again..so first stop was Hobby Bounties to drool and catch up on some overdue buying

With much good advice, but many different opinions on this forum, I was undecided for choice of controller. I did not want to waste money on somethig well beyond my abilities. Anyway, decision was made easy by available stock - so I am now proud owner of Prof Motor PMTR2044 Silver Line.
Oh! and a yellow Mustang and red Camero also accidentally fell into the basket

Downside is I now have to complete this "away" work project to get home to try the new acquisitions. Could be more than 4 weeks

Um, varakeef; as I seem to have stolen your topic
Did you ever resolve your controller problem? and how

Cheers, Tom.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (Isetta @ 8 Feb 2005, 16:39)Um, varakeef; as I seem to have stolen your topic
Did you ever resolve your controller problem? and how

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No problem.
My new hobby is getting out of control anyway so I might need better controller
oh my, how bad a joke can be...

But actually, my controller works now as I wrote in post # 2. Stil I don't get it why the controllers look so different from inside althou they both have same resistance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts